Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By 124111 Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:40 pm
Hi everyone,recently i have bought an akai mpc 2000xl and a multi card drive.Unfortunately i'm a newbie in this field and i thought that multi card driver was something just like plug and play,but regrettably this is not the case.I try to upgrade my akai from OS 1.1 to 1.14 but it not function.I think that i have connected the ide cable properly and also the power cable,because if is not i would brick my akai.Another information is that i boot my akai with compact flash card inside.Last but not least on the compact flash i do not upload anything is simply empty,due to the fact i don't have mult card drive reader for my pc but i will buy soon.
Below i would like to share how i have connected the ide cable and the power cable from the multi card drive to the motherboard in case i have done something wrong.Hope you could help me
P.s sorry for my englis but i'm italian

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0qedqgzn0rtbb/foto
By JUKE 179r Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:39 pm
From looking at your pictures, try another CF card. Those no-name cheap CF cards are usually crap.
or
Try flipping and reinserting the 40-pin ribbon cable the opposite way onto the card reader.
or
Ensure the both power connectors are correctly inserted and seated for 5VDC use.
or...
I think for this kind of CF card reader you'll need the OS1.2 to use it on your 2000XL.
By 124111 Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:45 pm
I try to flipping and reinserting the 40-pin ribbon cable,but the akai don't boot up.
What compact flash do you suggest me to buy?
Do you reccomend to me to upgrade the akai from 1.14 to 1.20?
By 124111 Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:35 am
Thanks for the reply Wal Martian :)...and as for compact flash do you suggest me to buy?
By JUKE 179r Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:26 pm
yeah... SanDisk, Lexar or my fave... Kingston.
Wal Martian wrote:
JUKE 179r wrote:you'll need the OS1.2 to use it

I think either will work. OS1.14/1.14c is just the the beta of OS1.2 and they work the same

Cool. I remember a few of the card readers (StarTech & Adonics) only work with OS1.2 installed.
By 124111 Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:43 am
I try the San Disk Extreme compact flash card but it didn't works...some advice?
By JUKE 179r Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:47 pm
did you format it on the MPC or a PC/MAC
By 124111 Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:16 pm
Well i dind't format it in the mpc beacuse it don't recognized and i can't format the cf card in the pc because i'm waiting for the usb multi card reader
By 124111 Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:10 pm
Today i try to format the compact flash in the PC but unfortunately the MPC dind't recognized it.But it could not be an error of the card reader that i have installed in the akai?A mean,if my card reader read only the first type of compact flash instead of type two (If i don't wrong the sandisk extreme compact flash is the type two)it's obvious that Mpc don't recognized it.Any suggestion?
By 124111 Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:02 am
I try to format in FAT16 the 1gb compact flash but the akai don't recognized it,instead for the 16gb compact flash the PC says that volume is too big :(
By Lampdog Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:04 am
And when FAT works for you be sure to only use 8 characters for filename. Anymore than that and MPC will cut it short to 8 characters ONLY. Saved programs and such look for the last saved names and cut names are usually not saved as they are created as SOON as the long filename hits the mpc. You'll end up having to reassign alot of stuff if you don't heed this warning. So many others have found out the hard way.
By 124111 Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:55 pm
I try everything but my akai continue to don't recognized the cf card reader.I don't know what to do...I have re install the os 1.14 but nothing,i can't see the option of the atapi in the dispaly,i can see only floppy,scsi and f-rom.I'll just have to make my peace with that and work with my 2 megabyte floppy disk :(