Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By 50 pin scsi Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:16 am
What’s up people,
I have an MPC 2000 xl with a 3.5 floppy, not a Zip drive. I would really like to keep the original parts on my machine for originality and price value reason in the future. I want to purchase a external drive but all I have is the 50 pin scsi on the back. I was wondering if you folks had any suggestions for purchasing a card reader that I could plug a usb hard drive, old school zip, or something into it so I don’t have to modify the inside of my machine. My old school Iomega 250 Zip drive took a dump on me and just want to upadate things. Any help is appreciated. Apologies if my jargon is off. I just want to store my damn samples. :-D
By LADiego Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:09 pm
In the past, I have purchased all my SCSI card readers from Mpcstoragesolution.com with no complaints. All have worked perfectly. Check them out. Just let them know your sampler's OS version. Now that your Zip drive has seen end of its life, it is an opportunity to upgrade to flash cards. I imagine you probably still have lots of your work on Zip disks so it may make sense to have a SCSI Zip drive in your setup to access your sounds and back up to flash cards? Mpcstoragesolution.com sells Zip drives too. Good luck.
By Lampdog Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:52 pm
I went from floppy to zip to cf too.

I had a usb zip on pc and saved to pc, after installing and mcd I moved them all to cf.
By tapedeck Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:54 pm
i'd also say don't be scared about replacing the internal drive and then just swap back out if you ever want to revert to original.

i am using a scsi2sd device on an old emu - it basically acts like a scsi hard drive, and it works really well, and not too expensive. really small - easy to get running.
http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... le=SCSI2SD

i can't remember what the internals of the mpc are, but if there is an internal scsi port, you could even stick it inside the machine and forget about it - on my emu, i just unplugged the scsi cable that went from the back port to the board inside, and installed the scsi2sd inside that way.
By Lampdog Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:05 pm
Yes, 2kxl has ide on the mobo. Easily get an ide hdd or ide mcd hooked up in there.
By tapedeck Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:08 pm
Wal Martian wrote:
50 pin scsi wrote: keep the original parts on my machine for originality and price value reason

:hmmm: a MCD or CF card reader is an upgrade, which usually increases the unit's value.

man i totally agree with you on that - but that's what he said he wanted.

if you cant find a cheap cf solution, i'd really consider that scsi2sd box. works great for me.
By tapedeck Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:10 pm
Lampdog wrote:Yes, 2kxl has ide on the mobo. Easily get an ide hdd or ide mcd hooked up in there.

2kxl wont accept an ide hard drive though, only removable drives, so it'd have to be mcd.

here's an option if you can find the old school parts - http://www.mpc2000xl.com/Internalhd.htm

i still say something more modern is gonna be better, but do what you like.
By Lampdog Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:47 pm
Your right, it has to be a device not hdd. Thinking back on my testing of the 2kxl motherboard with scsi4samplers a while back.
By tapedeck Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:50 pm
Lampdog wrote:Your right, it has to be a device not hdd. Thinking back on my testing of the 2kxl motherboard with scsi4samplers a while back.

miss that guy!
By Lampdog Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:30 pm
Back in 2009 he used to send me stuff to help him test 2kxl ports and mobo stuff.
It was fun. I've taken apart my 2kxl so many times it should have died 50 deaths by now.
By JUKE 179r Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:01 am
tapedeck wrote:
Lampdog wrote:Your right, it has to be a device not hdd. Thinking back on my testing of the 2kxl motherboard with scsi4samplers a while back.

miss that guy!

scsi4samplers is out here in Georgia but not doing much with SCSI parts anymore. :cry:

BTW... SCSI2SD is the best way to go. It's cheap in price, it's a great quality build, you don't need a power cable because it gets it's power from the 50-pin SCSI connection (BKA... buss powered) and you can make up to 4 partitions on a bigger GB SD card. I've have it installed in my 3000LE (as an internal hard drive) and in my 2000XL.