Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By randoderso Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:43 pm
So I've been having this issue lately..driving me mental.

I loop and record my sample. Bpm seems to be on point.
the hi hats and snares are solid.
But when I go to record the kicks, the first one is slightly delayed. The sample and the kick don't line up. The sample plays like a millisecond before and throws the whole thing off. I've tried messing with the different timing and nothing seems to work.
Please help.
By Lampdog Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:56 am
Maybe you chopped the sample to short in the beginning.
By tapedeck Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:43 am
yea just trim yer samples - maybe yer kick has some delay at the beginning. or use shift timing to shift yer kick track early (this won't work for the first hit tho).
By Lampdog Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:11 pm
Too much air in front of the kick.
By Jrogersz Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:18 pm
Definitely what everyone else is saying^^^

BUT you could also pull a Dilla and just not use the metronome timing for the kick so you can have it wherever you want :)
By Lampdog Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:53 am
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=184519

Didn't you just ask what's the "best" synth?

How tha **** do you figure "best"? Which there is no such subjective thing to any 1 person.

Anyway, @op, I suggest pay attention to the precision of your chopping.
By Jrogersz Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:08 am
Shut the **** up fool, you’re hella annoying. I said best to pair with the XL for the sound I’m looking for which I described in the post, not best in general...
You’re a dumbass bro FOH go get a hobby or some p*ssy cuz you sound like you need it
Lampdog wrote:http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=184519

Didn't you just ask what's the "best" synth?

How tha **** do you figure "best"? Which there is no such subjective thing to any 1 person.

Anyway, @op, I suggest pay attention to the precision of your chopping.
By Lampdog Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Jrogersz wrote:You’re a dumbass bro FOH go get a hobby or some p*ssy cuz you sound like you need it

By Jrogersz Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 pm
You went out of your way to hate on me on a post that wasn’t even mine. You’re a b*tch. Life will get better, buddy. I promise
By The Jackal Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm
Other techniques are chopping sample into more pieces of smaller measures so it's easier to get kicks on point & playing kicks without MIDI recording them into the sequencer and capturing audio i.e. resampling.

I know that if I have a loop and play something unquantized it'll look bad in the grid...like you play your sequence and the kick doesn't come in first measure because you hit it a few measures early and actually falls near the end of last measure of the pattern...well rather than fix MIDI or the sequence, I just resample because audio is on time once the loop is going and that's all that matters to me.

I really go one way or the other: heavily quantized micro-edits, or I just play everything unquantized and resample the loop so I don't even have to worry about MIDI creating timing issues with my own internal rhythm.

But really...

...all timing issues are resolved with chop skills and human quantization
By Lampdog Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:...all timing issues are resolved with chop skills and human quantization

By JVC Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:31 pm
All of my one-shot drum samples (like TR808 samples, Linndrum samples, etc.) has tiny bit of silence, which Lampdog and other veteran MPC users would refer as "air."
It is really small bit of silence, like 10~100 samples; it is 44.1K per sec, so I'm talking about 0.0002 to 0.002 second of silence.
I would use it as offset. If all of your one-shot drum has air, then it would be easy to adjust the issue you're having.
Say, if your kick is tiny bit delayed, then you could adjust it by moving starting point of OTHER drum samples.
Any way, I wouldn't loop one bar sample on MPC, I'd chop it at least to two parts, so that loop would "flow" better with other samples.
By Lampdog Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm
JVC wrote:I would use it as offset. If all of your one-shot drum has air, then it would be easy to adjust the issue you're having.

This is one of hundreds of life saving techniques. None of my samples are physically precise.

I adjust the "air" later.