Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By 3nn30 Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:31 pm
When I bought my 2000xl years ago, it already had a CF card reader installed, which is nice. I never thought I would need to use floppy disks, until now. Long story short, I went to my favorite neighborhood thrift store the other day, and stumbled upon a giant cache of floppy disks from legendary NYC DJ Steve Dee's own collection. His handwriting is all over them; there's tons of drum kits, synths, basses, and loops that he sampled himself. Apparently some of them were used in his MPC3000, and others in his S3000.

How would y'all suggest I crack into these things? I'm willing to buy an external floppy reader for my 2000xl, if that's the best option. I'm also considering a usb floppy reader so that I can get the samples into my computer and then maybe onto my CF card. I'm not even 100% sure if the file types on these disks will work in the 2000xl... but I'm gonna hang on to these things and find a way to tap into them one way or another, even if I have to save up for a 3000 of my own.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
By Wal Martian Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:35 pm
If you use the USB method and Windows pops up with "Repair' or "Continue without repairing" always choose continue without. You might want to format the CF in the MPC first then pop it in the PC.

OP: I don't think the 20000xl will load or read .snd files from the 3000
By Lampdog Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:01 pm
Chapter 10: Disk Operation
Page 164
Loading Files
The following files can be loaded into the MPC2000XL:
______.SND Sound file.
______.SEQ Sequence file.
______.ALL All sequence and song files.
______.MIDI Standard MIDI file.
______.PGM Program file.
______.APS Multiple programs.
______.WAV PC wave file.
______.SET Set of sounds

.......................................................................................................................
2 Select the disk that you want to load from in the Device: field. If you are loading from
a floppy disk, select Floppy. If you are loading data from an external SCSI drive, select
the appropriate SCSI ID.

If loading from a file/folder on an external SCSI disk device, see “Selecting Folders/
Files”.
• Type:
Displays the data of the drive selected in Device:.
MPC2000XL An MPC2000XL disk.
MPC2000 An MPC2000 disk.
MPC3000 An MPC3000/MPC60 disk.
S3000 An S3000 disk.
S1000 An S1000 disk
PC An MS-DOS formatted disk.
???? An unformatted disk or an incompatible format disk.