Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By tapedeck Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:51 pm
boombapsound wrote:Its seems that card reader is best way if you are going to to replace floppy with some kind of emulator.

yea but card reader is not an emulator - very different.
emulators act just like a floppy - 1.44mb size, you have to 'switch disks'.
card readers act more like a hard drive, some you cant even hotswap.
By JVC Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:57 pm
I moved on to 2000XL from 2000 classic, because of its poor data management ability.
There's reason why some people still use Zip drive with 2000 classic, despite it is unreliable. (SCSI MO drive would be much, much better choice, but it is hard to find it in the US.)
By tapedeck Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:32 pm
Beatdiggerjazzcat wrote:Internal SCSI card reader mod is the best option for the Mpc 2000. Emulators have their place, but not in an Mpc

yea scsi2sd would be more appropriate if you got the full 32mb of memory.

if however you run stock 2mb memory, floppy or emulator would be dope.
By distortedtekno Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 am
tapedeck wrote:
Beatdiggerjazzcat wrote:Internal SCSI card reader mod is the best option for the Mpc 2000. Emulators have their place, but not in an Mpc

yea scsi2sd would be more appropriate if you got the full 32mb of memory.

if however you run stock 2mb memory, floppy or emulator would be dope.

Has anyone got the SCSI2SD to work with the MPC2000 classic yet?
By richie Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:41 pm
distortedtekno wrote:Has anyone got the SCSI2SD to work with the MPC2000 classic yet?

Haven't you been able to resolve you issues with it yet?
By distortedtekno Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:56 pm
richie wrote:
distortedtekno wrote:Has anyone got the SCSI2SD to work with the MPC2000 classic yet?

Haven't you been able to resolve you issues with it yet?

Nah, I played it safe from the beginning. I was hoping to hear something good about the latest revision. But I guess most people have been just as cautious.
By distortedtekno Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:05 am
JVC wrote:I moved on to 2000XL from 2000 classic, because of its poor data management ability.
There's reason why some people still use Zip drive with 2000 classic, despite it is unreliable. (SCSI MO drive would be much, much better choice, but it is hard to find it in the US.)

SCSI MO drives have been easy to find for cheap here in the US. The seller on eBay I bought mine from still gets the same drives for the same price... $29. You can't beat it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUJITSU-MCR3230SS-3-5-2-3-GB-SCSI-MAGNETO-OPTICAL-DRIVE/362218488674?hash=item5455e78362:g:fG8AAOSwnNBXac9H
By hok-2 Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:50 am
I have a M.O drive and before that I had a Hard drive and niether of them have ever been reliable.
Could be a fualt with my Mpc 2000, so I think its a bit of trial and error with this stuff...might work...might not

So thats somthing to factor into the equation, i.e can you sell it on without making a loss.
M.o drives work perfectly in my Akai S3000 and I've never had any problems with them on that.

But I've never had any sci drive that doesnt crash regularly.
Its a shame, but the price of getting it looked at is probly the same as buying a new Mpc2000.
So I just save everything regulary and turn it offf and back on again when it inevitably crashes.

Don't get me wrong I think Mpc2000's are one of the best drum machines ever made and they sound infinately better than any vst . You just have to put a lot of work into maintaining them and it can be such a drain on creative energy when you just want to make a beat.

Having said that, I still make most my beats on it : )
By distortedtekno Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:24 pm
hok-2 wrote:I have a M.O drive and before that I had a Hard drive and niether of them have ever been reliable.
Could be a fualt with my Mpc 2000, so I think its a bit of trial and error with this stuff...might work...might not

So thats somthing to factor into the equation, i.e can you sell it on without making a loss.
M.o drives work perfectly in my Akai S3000 and I've never had any problems with them on that.

But I've never had any sci drive that doesnt crash regularly.
Its a shame, but the price of getting it looked at is probly the same as buying a new Mpc2000.
So I just save everything regulary and turn it offf and back on again when it inevitably crashes.

Don't get me wrong I think Mpc2000's are one of the best drum machines ever made and they sound infinately better than any vst . You just have to put a lot of work into maintaining them and it can be such a drain on creative energy when you just want to make a beat.

Having said that, I still make most my beats on it : )

Do you have the 5 1/4" Sony MO drive or was that someone else?
By crashing, what exactly is happening? Are you getting a SCSI error message on your MPC?
I've had occasional SCSI errors on every SCSI device I've ever used between Zip and MO drives. But the cause for those errors was due to using cheap MO disks. Lesser known brands like Teijin have all given errors. Maxell, Sony, and more popular brands have been very reliable.
By richie Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 pm
The DigiDrive Pro should work as it has Master and Slave jumpers but I'd be surprised if you could even find it in stock.

It's basically a variant of the MCD drives that people on eBay try to charge you $250 for.
By hok-2 Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:22 am
In reply to Distorted Techno
My M.Odrive is a Olympus
But in truth I think my Mpc had this fualt when I bought it but, I'd never owned a mpc before and didnt know what to check for, the original floppy drive used to do it too.

It just freezes, somtimes it will keep playing but some wierd glitchy messed up stuff wich is fascinating the first few times but becomes a wind up after that, espiealy if I'm trying to finnish a beat.

I think it has somthing to do with the Data wheel, always happens when Im moving that.
All my M.O disks are TDK and a couple of other brands but they all do it.

Thing is, I much prefer making beats on my Mpc and there are a few types of beats I have to use that for. Ya know. I still use it, it's just sparadic s I'm a bit stuck cus I'm not going to sell it knowing it has this fualt ( I don't want some poor guy to work out his Mpc has a fualt two years after he bought it in good faith, thats not me) and also I'm realy atached to it. Yeah the wonders of the oldskool : )
By Harmoncj Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:25 pm
hok-2 wrote:In reply to Distorted Techno
My M.Odrive is a Olympus
But in truth I think my Mpc had this fualt when I bought it but, I'd never owned a mpc before and didnt know what to check for, the original floppy drive used to do it too.

It just freezes, somtimes it will keep playing but some wierd glitchy messed up stuff wich is fascinating the first few times but becomes a wind up after that, espiealy if I'm trying to finnish a beat.

I think it has somthing to do with the Data wheel, always happens when Im moving that.

Thing is, I much prefer making beats on my Mpc and there are a few types of beats I have to use that for. Ya know. I still use it, it's just sparadic s I'm a bit stuck cus I'm not going to sell it knowing it has this fualt ( I don't want some poor guy to work out his Mpc has a fualt two years after he bought it in good faith, thats not me) and also I'm realy atached to it. Yeah the wonders of the oldskool : )

It freezes while you’re making a beat ? If it’s the DIV error screen I know how to avoid that
By distortedtekno Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:21 am
hok-2 wrote:In reply to Distorted Techno
My M.Odrive is a Olympus

I gotta look at my spare controller board to refresh my memory and try to figure out if I can help you get this sorted out.