Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Tasha D Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:54 pm
Hi All,

Newbie here. I have a serious issue that maybe someone can help me with.
I have many Zip disk loaded with sounds. the only problem is I am having a hard time getting my Zip drive to read them. The drive doesn't have the click of death and it reads only the Operating system disk. I can see a program when I first put it in. but when I try to load it it says "scsi read error." I have been able to read a disk that came with another 2000 that I have so I'm not sure it is the drive But I know the DATA is still on the damn disks..... My ULtiMATE goal would be to get the sounds off and some how into my Logic Pro X. Any thoughts?

Thx :WTF: :cry: :?
By Wal Martian Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:07 pm
Zip disk format must be FAT (format the disk using the MPC Disk screen first)
.wav files must be 16bit 44.1kHz
File names must be 8 characters or less
Connecting the disk to a Mac might put hidden files on the disk making it unreadable
To get the sounds from your sampler into your Logic, record the stereo outputs of your sampler using 1/4" cables and an audio interface (same as any keyboard/drum machine/instrument)
By Tasha D Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:20 pm
So I figured how to record sounds into Logic via stereo outs. My issue is getting INTO the Zip disk to read the files that they may somehow be transferred to my computer OR another Zip disk so that they can then be either loaded into logic or any type of MPC program
that is compatible with my MPC 2000. I have all these sounds and no way to access them. I believe they were all formatted on the MPC... could they ever work in a standalone PC or better yet MAC without becoming
unreadable?
By Lampdog Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:41 am
2k classic formatted media. Disk not easily readable like 2kxl.
Classic uses iso9660 image on media. 2kxl uses a variation of FAT which WM is talking about. You’ll need a program/app to read/write to those the 2k classic image on media.
By Wal Martian Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:48 am
If they are disks full of sounds from the MPC (sampled in and then saved) they are likely .SND files not .wav files. You can load them into the sampler and play them into Logic, then go through and edit each one and save it to your computer.
If your 2000 has OS 1.72 you can load each .SND and save them one by one as a .WAV back to the Zip disk but this is even more time consuming.
"SCSI read error" could be a few things bad disk, bad drive, bad SCSI fuse or the .PGM or .APS file you are trying to load is corrupted/damaged. Remember loading a .PGM tells your MPC to load up all your .SND files into memory. Make sure you try loading individual .SND files.
If there is no way for any of your MPC's to read the files (APS, PGM or SND) you could try a USB Zip drive and computer/laptop and software such as Translator
By Lampdog Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 pm
Supported Formats

This applies to Mac and Windows versions starting with Version 6.0, Build 3. For a list pertaining to the older deprecated Mac version 1.5, Build 64 (usually for OS9 purposes), email us at [email protected].
Source Formats
Software
Native Instruments Kontakt Instrument/Multi/Bank (.nki; .nkm; .nkb)
Apple EXS24 (.exs) All Versions
Digidesign/A.I.R./inMusic Structure (.patch)
UVI Falcon (.uvip; .uvim)
MOTU MachFive 1, 2, 3 (.m5p; .m5m)
Tascam GigaStudio (all versions) (.gig)
Propellerheads Reason NN-XT (.sxt)
Ableton Sampler/Simpler (.adg; .adv)
Emu EmulatorX (.exb)
Steinberg HALion 1 and 2 (.fxp)
IK Multimedia SampleTank 1, 2, 3 (.sth;.sti;.stw; .xml)
Akai MESA 1 and 2, Millennium (s3p, .prg)
Creamware Pulsar/STS (.sts; .p; .s; .wav)
SoundFont (.sf2)
Downloadable Sounds (.dls)
Cakewalk SFZ (.sfz)
Speedsoft VSampler 2 (.vbs)
Sonoma Wireworks DrumCore/KitCore (.userKit)
CWIAudio TX16Wx (.tga)
One Small Step Grace Sampler (.lpg)
One Small Step Poise Drum Sampler (.dkt)
Togu Audio Line TALSampler (.talsmpl)
Image-Line DirectWave (.dwp' .dwb; .wav)
Propellerhead IDT (.inst)
New Sonic Arts Nuance (.nu)
iRompler (.xsml)
Steinberg LM-4 mrk I and mrk II (.txt;.fxp)
Digidesign SampleCell (.ins)
Native Instruments Battery 1, 2, 3, and 4 (.nbkt; .kit; .kt2; .kt3; .cel; .cl3)
Native Instruments Reaktor (.map)
Bitheadz Unity DS-1 (.uds)

Workstations and Hardware Computer Format Samples
Yamaha Motif Classic, ES, XS, XF, MOXF (.w2v;.w7v;.x0v;.x3v;.x6v)
Roland Fantom-S, -X, and -G (.svd)
Korg Kronos/M3/Triton (.pcg;.ksc;.kmp;.ksf)
Alesis Fusion (.afp;.afi;.afs)
Yamaha Tyros 2,3,4,5 (.tvn;.uvn)
Akai S-5000/Z-Series

Groove Boxes

Akai MPC-60, 3000, 2000, 2000XL, 1000/2500/500/5000 (all versions) (.pgm; .wav; .snd)
Roland MV-8000 (.mv0)
Akai MPC-4000 (.akp; .wav)

Hardware Proprietary Samplers
Akai S-1000/3000
Roland S-5x
Roland S-7x
Emu Emax II
Emu E3/ESi
Emu E4/EOS
Ensoniq EPS/ASR (.efe;.efa)
Kurzweil K2x (.krz;.k25;.k26), PC3K (.p3k), Forte (.for)
Yamaha A-Series

Slice Files
Recycle I and II (.rx2, .rex; .rcy)
ACID (.wav)
AppleLoops (.aif;.aiff)
Stylus RMX
Akai Chopshop (.wav)
Native Instruments Kontakt Beat Machine (.nki)
Emu EmulatorX TwistaLoop (.exb)

Single Samples
WAVE (.wav)
AIFF (.aif;.aiff)
Akai MPC (.snd)
Korg Sample (.ksf)
Apple CAF (Core Audio Format) (.caf)

Destination Formats
Software
Native Instruments Kontakt Instrument/Multi/Bank (.nki; .nkm; .nkb)
Apple EXS24 (.exs) All Versions
Digidesign/A.I.R./inMusic Structure (.patch)
UVI Falcon (.uvip; .uvim)
MOTU MachFive 1, 2, 3 (.m5p; .m5m)
Propellerheads Reason NN-XT (.sxt)
Yellow Tools Independence (.ytil)
Cakewalk SFZ (.sfz)
Apple/CamelAudio Alchemy (.acp)
Ableton Sampler/Simpler (.adg; .adv)
IK Multimedia SampleTank 1, 2, 3 (.sth;.sti;.stw; .xml)
Steinberg HALion 1 and 2 (.fxp)
Native Instruments Battery 1, 2 and 3 (.kit; .kt2; .kt3; .cel; .cl3)
Native Instruments Reaktor (.map)
SoundFont (.sf2)
Downloadable Sounds (.dls)
Steinberg LM-4 mrk I and mrk II (.txt;.fxp)
Sonoma Wireworks DrumCore/KitCore (.userKit)
Akai MESA 1 and 2, Millennium (s3p, .prg)
Creamware Pulsar/STS (.sts; .p; .s; .wav)
CWIAudio TX16Wx (.tga)
One Small Step Grace Sampler (.lpg)
One Small Step Poise Drum Sampler (.dkt)
Togu Audio Line TALSampler (.talsmpl)
Image-Line DirectWave (.dwp' .dwb; .wav)
Propellerhead IDT (.inst)
New Sonic Arts Nuance (.nu)
iRompler (.xsml)

Workstations and Hardware Samplers
Yamaha Motif Classic, ES, XS, XF, MOXF (.w2v;.w7v;.x0v;.x3v;.x6v)
Roland Fantom-S, X, and G (.svd)
Korg Kronos/M3/Triton (.pcg;.ksc;.kmp;.ksf)
Alesis Fusion (.afp;.afi;.afs)
Yamaha Tyros 2,3,4,5 (.tvn;.uvn)
Akai S-5000/Z-Series

Groove Boxes
Akai MPC (all versions) (.pgm; ..xpm; wav; .snd)
Roland MV-8000 (.mv0)
Akai MPC-4000 (.akp; .wav)

Hardware Proprietary Samplers
Akai S-1000/3000
Roland S-7x
Roland XV-5080
Emu E4/EOS
Emu E3/ESi
Ensoniq EPS/ASR (.efe;.efa)
Ensoniq ASR-X (.sou;.aif)
Kurzweil K2x (.krz;.k25;.k26), PC3K (.p3k), Forte (.for)

Slice Files
ACID (.wav)
AppleLoops (.aif;.aiff)
Stylus RMX
Akai Chopshop (.wav)
Native Instruments Kontakt Beat Machine
Recycle 1 (.rex; .rcy)

Single Samples
WAVE (.wav)
AIFF (.aif;.aiff)
Akai MPC (.snd)
Korg Sample (.ksf)
Apple CAF (Core Audio Format) (.caf)

Notes:

Regarding encrypted files: It is a recent development over the last 15 years or so to data-encrypt audio samples to enforce a copy-protection scheme. Since developers started making their own samplers, they use this connection to allow only licensed users to play their sounds. If it was possible to translate these samples to other formats, it would defeat their copy-protection schemes. Thus, the Chicken Systems conversion engine cannot and will not be able to convert out of these formats, as we respect the developer's intent.

Keep in mind that a useable workaround is to use your product's AutoSampler function (if it has one, many Chicken Systems products have it or will have it) or a third-party autosampler. Of course this will require the sampler that can load your source formats, but it's still an acceptable way of getting things into your destination.

Kontakt: Non-encrypted only. Kontakt .nki's that read .nks or .nkx files are classified as encrypted. Kontakt 5 and 4.2 can read everything EXCEPT modulators and filters. Kontakt 5/4.2 Banks (.nkb) are not supported yet. NOTE: the .NKB and modulators/filters restriction is NI's restriction, they chose to not let users read these parameters. We have asked them repeatedly over 5 years to change their policy but so far to no avail.
SFZ: Non-encrypted only. As of this writing, the only SFZ files that use encrypted samples are the Garritan Aria-Player libraries. Any SFZ file that references an ".audio" file is encrypted.
Structure: Non-encrypted only; as of this writing AFAIK only the factory library is encrypted. Any Structure file that references a .big file is encrypted.
Giga: Non-encrypted only; as far as we know only GVI Virtual Instruments are encrypted.
HALion: Non-encrypted only; as of this writing HALion 3/4/5/6 are ALL encrypted. ALL HALion 3/4/5/6 are completely encrypted.
MachFive/Falcon: Non-encrypted only. As of this writing this only involves the MachFive 2, 3, and UVI Workstation factory libraries. All user-written MachFive 2, 3, and Falcon files are supported.
Emulator X: All .exb banks that reference .ebl files are supported. Any sample files that are not .ebl are encrypted and cannot be converted.
Independence: All Independence .ytil files are encrypted and cannot be read, but the Chicken Systems conversion engine can create them and show their mappings and audition their samples. The exception is .ytil files that reference samples in the large .ytif images.
SampleTank: The Chicken Systems conversion engine does not convert SampleTank files, but it can create them and read them to show their mappings and audition their samples, with the exception of 2-Pak compressed samples.
Reason Refills (.rfl files): Not supported. Any Reason .sxt file that references anything in a Refill cannot be translated.
Recycle: Recycle 2 files cannot be written by anything other than Recycle itself.
Stylus RMX: Only includes User Libraries; any Core Library or XPander files are encrypted and thus are not supported.
CAF: On Windows, the Chicken Systems conversion engine can only read or write uncompressed types of CAF files.
Hybrid formats: A hybrid format is one that can reference RAM samples and samples indexed in ROM (e.g. a Kurzweil file that loads samples as well as uses the ROM banks.) The Chicken Systems conversion engine will convert the RAM sections but not the ROM sections.
Yamaha Motif: Often a Yamaha-created Motif Bank will contain LPC- or XPC-compressed samples, which cannot be decompressed or converted. The purpose for this is apparantly so no other sound engine can play back the samples except a Motif itself.
Alesis Fusion: Often a Hollow Sun-created Fusion Bank will contain compressed samples, which cannot be decompressed or converted. The purpose for this is apparantly so no other sound engine can play back the samples except the Fusion itself.
Proprietary formats on computer: All proprietary formats, such as Akai Programs, E4 banks, etc., have counterpart files that can exist on computer-type drives. These extensions are shown in the list above. A counterpart file may or may not be able to be written or read by the native hardware sampler. The Chicken Systems conversion engine can convert into or out of these formats.

By Tasha D Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:34 am
Hey Thanks for your replies guys. I think I am going to get the translator soft and see what happens. I ordered a USB Zip drive and I hope that it is a little sharper when it comes to reading old zip disks. I have way to many disks/sounds that I made myself to just let this go. I'll keep you guys posted once the drive comes in... in the meanwhile I'm open to more suggestions. :worthy:
By Lampdog Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:49 pm
Tasha D wrote:I have way to many disks/sounds that I made myself to just let this go

I know that feeling and I've went down this path before also.
Save those sounds!
By Tasha D Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:34 pm
Lampdog wrote:
Tasha D wrote:I have way to many disks/sounds that I made myself to just let this go

I know that feeling and I've went down this path before also.
Save those sounds!

I spoke with the people at translator, and I am gonna try the free version as soon as my sb zip comes in. I pray that I can see those files on my computer! I'm talking 10 or 12 disks! to think all the time spent digging thru crates and chopping and trimming...
Id pay just about anything at this point.