Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Smoothbts Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 pm
hello everyone,
i have an mpc 2000xl that i am trying to modify and install an addonics card reader. i have read that for this particular card reader i need to update my os to 1.20. I have ordered the zip disk with the OS on it and when i loaded it into the mpc it still stayed at 1.14c. i have tried this multiple times.

i am correct in assuming i need to update the os to 1.14 (not 1.14c} and then update to 1.20?

i have read that 1.14c wont allow the update to 1.20.. i am so close to completing this project.

my next question is where can i find OS 1.14{not 1.14c)? i have a zip disk with 1.20 on it already.

my obstacle right now is finding someone with a usb zip drive in san antonio so i dont have to purchase or order one, lol
By tapedeck Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:18 pm
did you actually do the update procedure, or just load the disk?

Loading an Updated Operating System
From time to time, updated operating systems will become available on floppy disks or can be
downloaded from our internet web site.

To update your operating system, insert the floppy disk (or connect the SCSI device which con-
tains the files of the operating system) and hold down SHIFT and press LOAD (numeric key 3).

Select either the MPC2KXL.EXE or MPC2KXL.SYS file in the File: field and press DO IT [F6].

Press DO IT [F6] again, the system will be automatically updated and a display will appear to
prompt you to restart the MPC2000XL.
By Smoothbts Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 pm
The file I have is a .bin file not .sys or .exe, I loaded the disk in drive and selected the .bin and pressed do it, then it gave me a prompt to press do it again, it went into the update mode and even finished and prompted me to press an key to restart. I did. It still was on 1.14c.

It was loaded by a Zip disk in the Zip drive inside mpc. I have did his several times with no success.
By Smoothbts Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:55 am
thanks again, but im afraid i can not update from 1.14c to 1.20 to use my addonics card reader. i need 1.2 for that card reader to work, i need to roll back to 1.14 then try to update to 1.20, can anyone help me with this?
i have 1.2 on zip but it still says 1.14c
By Lampdog Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:10 pm
http://www.forat.com/Downloads/mpc2x114.zip

This one works. I just downloaded it to make sure

or

http://b8e57dc469f9d8f4cea5-1e3c2cee90259c12021d38ebd8ad6f0f.r79.cf2.rackcdn.com/Product_Drivers/mpc2x114.zip_a49bebf2e20f7f9229092f3dcfba676a.zip

Second one is from Akai website legacy support. Why wasn't this searched out at first?

Easy to find.

Op, hook it up.
By tapedeck Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:17 pm
you know another option you could try right now is to just put the card reader in and see if it works.

maybe you don't actually need that os...i dont know - just something to try while you wait.

do you still have the floppy drive? zips just suck.
By Smoothbts Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:25 pm
I got it to work. I know a bunch of people will experience this.

First, I had 2 identical San disk cards, 1 gb each. The card reader would not recognize 1 of them.

Second I updated the OS to 1.20 as instructed. The hidden menu shift 5 + shift 1 showed 1.14c and the shift 8 ver showed 1.20. This kind of confused me at first.

I wired it all back up and it worked even though it stated 1.14c and 1.20 in the other menu. 1 card didn’t work so my question is What does the card have to be fomatted in the pc to be recognized by MPC?

This has been a real adventure but I’m glad I got it all ironed out. So far on this mpc I have replaced the buttons, replaced the slider with a new one, switched out Zip drive for addonics card reader and a face lift. Not bad for a beat up eBay impulse buy.
By tapedeck Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:28 pm
badass man - glad you just got in there and did it.

the cards need to be formatted FAT16 or just FAT - not FAT32.

be real careful putting those cards on the computer - if you put it on a mac, it will add invisible files that make the card not work right. if you put it on a windows machine and you have ANY files whose name is longer than 8 characters, those files could become unusable.

point being - whenever you save something, keep the name SHORT! 8 letters or less. its a tough habit to get into because the default names can be longer than that, but you have got to keep those names short otherwise your files could vanish when you plug into a computer.
By Lampdog Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:29 pm
Smoothbts wrote:What does the card have to be fomatted in the pc to be recognized by MPC?

My Lexar 512mb cf card is formatted "FAT" on PC.
I can read the card in my Triton Extreme, PC and MPC2kxl.
If I use my usb CF reader I can plug it into the front port of my mpc4k and the 4k will see the card also.