Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Trumac22 Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:14 pm
Hey Everyone,

So I bought an 2000xl maybe 6 months ago and I'm trying to make the move away from a DAW to a hardware set up centred on my MPC. MIDI In from my keyboard works absolutely fine in both ports 1 and 2, however, I cannot get my MIDI out to work. I've read the manual and I'm 100% sure that my settings are right - Sync Out on ports A and B, mode: MIDI Clock, Send MMC: On, MIDI mode selected on the main screen, with the correct midi channel selected next to it. No response from any of the connected gear. I've also tried plugging both MIDI out ports A and B into Ableton, no response from any pads when receiving MIDI from All Channels. the MPC also receives MIDI Sync in from Ableton no problem.

I should add that I have once before had a synth run on the MIDI out of the MPC, and today I managed to get around 20 seconds of MIDI out working before it just cut out. Could it be that these ports are simply broken? I can't find anyone reporting a similar thing anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated - I'm also still relatively new to MPCs so even point out obvious things, I might be being an idiot.

Cheers!
By peterpiper Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:47 pm
Hi,
have you tried a different cable? If yes then try to move the plug on the MIDI OUT a bit while the MPC play (use a pattern with many MIDI notes).
You said you manage to get 20 or so seconds of MIDI out signal so to me it sounds like a broken solderpin and you should be able to get a kind of stuttering MIDI out signal with the test I mentioned above. BUT...the strange thing here is that the problem is on both MIDI outs and I don't know how a broken pin on one of the ports can influence the other port.
whatever.... try it and post the experience

peace
By Wal Martian Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:52 pm
Trumac22 wrote:...move away from a DAW to a hardware set up centred on my MPC.

Trumac22 wrote:...Sync Out on ports A and B, mode: MIDI Clock, Send MMC: On...

You might want to try turning sync:off and MMC:off then make sure your main keyboard is in the right mode and isn't sending or sequencing events you don't want it to.

Trumac22 wrote:MIDI mode selected on the main screen...

Trumac22 wrote:...no response from any pads when receiving MIDI from All Channels.

What happens when you set the track to DRUM?
By Trumac22 Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:20 pm
hey, thanks for the replies,

So I did as you said peterpiper and it started working! It seems temperamental though - it's cut in and out once already, and I seem to get a kind of weird signal out about 10 seconds after I stop a sequence on the MPC - like it's just hitting a load of random notes and sending them by MIDI. And this will just happen until I start a sequence again every 20-30 seconds randomly. Also, this only happens on channel B.

Could that mean it's a dodgy solderpin? If so, what would it take to fix? I'm decent with a soldering iron - I've fixed stuff in the past but would maybe think twice about taking an iron to a £400 bit of kit.
By Trumac22 Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:12 pm
So it seems now that Channel A works fine - whereas channel B will send notes out seemingly at random. Ive also started having relatively regular crashes when I'm sending MIDI - MPC totally freezes with no error message. I'll try an OS re-install but this things starting to seem like more hassle than it was worth