Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By JaccCetch Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:44 pm
Whats up good people!? So I bought another 1g CF Card for my 2000xl, this one is actually from Akai (has the 1gb Akai Professional sticker on it) . So I put it in my XL wanting to format it so...shift 3 brings up the load screen. Under device is ATAPI, I hit F3 to FORMAT and it gives me the THIS WILL ERASE THE WHOLE DISK!!...but, there is no DO IT????? what am I doing wrong???

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
By richie Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:33 pm
Can you post a picture showing what the 2000XL recognizes as a card?
By richie Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:18 pm
From the video you posted, it shows that the card reader is not detecting any card entered. There as one weird thing where it said F16I=0 which i've never seen before.

Do you have another card to try? Those "Akai" cards are just generic flash cards where people on eBay had stickers printed to charge you more. Also, you took the card out while the joint was still on which tells me that your XL isn't even detecting the card reader all together -- It should have locked up the XL.

Which card reader did you buy?
By Lampdog Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:03 pm
ATAPI is hot swappable, IDE is not, same connector and everything, just diff communication protocol. I’ve used both, I have ATAPI MCD in my 2kxl.

Looks like the mpc doesn’t recognize the device.

Jumpers on correctly?

Device is known to work with mpc’s? Not all work. 2k/2kxl can be picky.
By Lampdog Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 pm
1.14. 512 mb lexar cf.

Tried 1.20, 1.14c with several types of cards and sizes in all slots. Almost all treated me wrong. I went back to and stayed with OS 1.14, 512 mb lexar cf.

I understand my mcd now.

People need to get to know their OS’s, mcd’s/cr’s and roll with it’s capabilities

or

be eternally frustrated.
By richie Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:25 am
Lampdog wrote:ATAPI is hot swappable, IDE is not, same connector and everything, just diff communication protocol. I’ve used both, I have ATAPI MCD in my 2kxl.

As far as I can remember, ATAPI and IDE are the same thing. They both communicate over the IDE bus but where it gets confusing is whether the media the workstation is reading is identified as fixed disk vs removable mode. [These modes can be configured accordingly through formatting / partition managers]

Now how this relates to the type of card readers we have also pertains to the type we're using. So the "hot swappable" IDE card readers have an on board controller to handle the removable device mode where as other cheaper card readers (So the commonly used Startech ones or the 5 dollar eBay ones, which in most cases are the exact same ones Startech is using) are simple CF to IDE pass through devices -- Hence the card reader does not know how to address when a card is removed.

Going back to the whole fixed disk / removable disk mode thing creates a separate layer compatibility issues and is also the basis on whether or not you can use a CF card to boot off of or not. So what I've found with CF cards not reading on my XL, if i format it on the PC, setting the partition as bootable device causes it to suddenly work fine in my XL where as prior to that, it either would not read or if it did it would cause the XL's screen to show up all scrambled.

Have a look at this for reference: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/CompactFlash_boot_drive
By JUKE 179r Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:10 am
I've never seen that before.
Post some pics of how your flash drive is set up/mounted in your XL.