Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By richie Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:52 am
So what is included with the kit?
By tapedeck Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:38 pm
Wal Martian wrote:If you feed the external SCSI into the case with a ribbon, the adaptors can sit inside the case instead of sticking out of the back.
http://iec.net/product/db25-male-and-fe ... n-cable-5/

now i have not looked inside a 2000 classic, so somebody enlighten me...

when i installed a scsi2sd in my emu, there was a port on the motherboard going to an external scsi port on the back of the machine. to make my scsi 'internal', i just disconnected this external port, and plugged my scsi stuff directly into the board. i lost my external scsi port, but oh well.

what is keeping folks from doing that on the 2000 classic? is the external port like soldered directly to the board or using a proprietary connection or something?
By Wal Martian Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 pm
tapedeck wrote:what is keeping folks from doing that on the 2000 classic? is the ...external port like soldered directly to the board or using a proprietary connection or something?

Yes. Check out this 2007 forum thread by destruktiv. The pic links are dead but you can go to his photobucket and see small versions (pg 1, scroll to bottom)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67154
By richie Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:56 pm
Just so you're all aware, demane22 is selling these "kits" on eBay. I'm not knocking the hustle as it fits a need for people too ignorant to research things for themselves.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERNAL-SCSI- ... 2912383697

If you're going to be charging $45, perhaps you could put together a cleaner and better selected method of doing this. Your method sticks out half a foot which is rather inconvenient and a simple movement could dislodge the adapter which is not what you want happening while the unit is powered on.

Wal Martian gave you a huge suggestion to build upon this. There are other methods to make this even cleaner however I am not inclined to do the work, sharing of what parts to get only to have you directly profit off of it.
By demane22 Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:59 am
richie wrote:Just so you're all aware, demane22 is selling these "kits" on eBay. I'm not knocking the hustle as it fits a need for people too ignorant to research things for themselves.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERNAL-SCSI- ... 2912383697

If you're going to be charging $45, perhaps you could put together a cleaner and better selected method of doing this. Your method sticks out half a foot which is rather inconvenient and a simple movement could dislodge the adapter which is not what you want happening while the unit is powered on.

Wal Martian gave you a huge suggestion to build upon this. There are other methods to make this even cleaner however I am not inclined to do the work, sharing of what parts to get only to have you directly profit off of it.

Richie

Why is it that people have to be ignorant because something may be convenient for them? What hustle is there to knock? If you can provide a better solution and have it shipped overnight for under $45 you should go for it. I have been setting this same solution up for people for a while now without complaint. That whole half a foot, lmao really? This sticks out the same length as my TRS snake and damn near the same size as a standard db25 cable. And last i checked i did not need nor ask you for anything to profit off of or from. I guess i should just give them away, right?
By richie Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:16 am
Okay, I see where this is going so I'll try to answer then:

- "Ignorant" is the correct word. There are other threads that outline much of the same or capable parts yet people are too ignorant to read and do it themselves. I do agree that having all the parts sourced as one "kit" can be "convenient" and so they are charged a "convenience" tax for it rather than spending $10 to source the parts individually.

- "Hustle" because that is what all of this is; You came up with an idea that could garner some income - nothing to knock about it. It's business at the end of the day

I agree -- you did not make a request for information to directly profit from. You did however make this post to gain a response right? Now since the post was made under the hook of advertising a new product / "kit" that you happen to have for sale, any questions, input or general scrutiny received about the said "kit" would only be of your benefit. Providing you with alternative information to refine your product / "kit" right?

So what is the issue here? Was I wrong to mention that you happen to have this for sale online or was I being an assh*ole by stating that I am not interested in sharing information that would assist the advertiser in increasing their profits. It was not as if this post was of service to the community. And no, no one is telling you to give the "kit" away either.

Peace.
By Harmoncj Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:44 am
I don't see anything wrong with selling or buying kits like this if it does what you want.

I bought a soldering type kit from a member, and I gladly paid for the convenience of having all the right stuff in one package.