Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By narcoticnoise Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:12 pm
Hello i'm new to the MPC 2000 classic and my floppy drive keeps getting error so it's time for a replacement.

The MPC 2000 manual confuses me and i don't really want to break my machine or the mother/PCB board.
I've unscrewed and took off the top plate but the PCB board is blocking the floppy drive. I don't want to break or damage anything.

Any help ? I found out that there isn't much info on this. What do i need to unscrew/disconnect to get to the Floppy drive ?

I know the bottom has screws to detach the floppy drive but i'm still unable to pull it out all the way without harming or breaking anything.

Thanks
By JUKE 179r Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:25 am
narcoticnoise wrote:Update: Figured it out by myself (well kinda)

thanks anyways!

What did you find out?
Can you post what you figured out to help future users who will have this same issue?
By narcoticnoise Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:07 am
JUKE 179r wrote:
narcoticnoise wrote:Update: Figured it out by myself (well kinda)

thanks anyways!

What did you find out?
Can you post what you figured out to help future users who will have this same issue?

Sorry about that and Sure!!! i will!

So this is for the MPC 2000 Classic.

As instructed on the MPC 2K Classic manual after you open your MPC cover and reached where you can see your board/buttons/screen and stuff.. you will see 4 extra screws on the left/right sides (exact sides from cover screws) remove those as instructed on page 177

https://archive.org/stream/synthmanual_ ... 5/mode/2up

After you remove those side screws you will then have to remove the front screw kinda by where your MPC 2000 front plate goes its not on the PCB board directly next to it though. Remove that... After you've done that you will then have to unscrew the middle screw directly under your Cursor i usually loosen it and leave it in place.... afterwards GENTLY .... PLEASE BE GENTLE Here lift the PCB board a tad bit less than an inch because you will have cables still connected to the board but DONT disconnect anything else.. Don't forget to remove the 2 bottom screws screwed on to the floppy drive!!

I turned my PCB board gently after it was all un-screwed to get to the floppy. But just remember to be real gentle because cables are connected to the board.

You've reached the floppy... Replace what you've got to replace and ta'da !!!!!!! You've replaced your floppy or whatever on your MPC classic.

I didn't find much info on this nor pictures but this info along with reading the MPC Manual via this link https://archive.org/stream/synthmanual_ ... 5/mode/2up (Page176) actually (165 on actual manual) Should help!

Just remember to be gentle cause you don't want to damage your baby
By sachet Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:25 am
Hey dude

nice work cracking open the mpc 2k i had a pop at it last night - learned how to do it , although took me a while to figure it out as certain bits of the case were jammed in place and required a little force which was scary lol plus some hard-to-spot screws on the motherboard (shoulda looked at the manual like you did heh)

I found this video too: It doesnt show ALL the steps of opening the 2k but it does show enough to be very useful whilst you figure it out.
Although obv the guy in this vid is installing a usb floppy emulator, the first part of the vid is the useful bit.

for example at 1:44 you can see the motherboard / pad panel shifted to one side to allow access to the extremely short power cable for the floppy ..

Ey man, can I ask what floppy drive you installed - the make and model?
I have a Sony MPF920 (maybe the 'z' model ?) that I tried to install last night but I just got read errors! I put my old floppy drive back in though (which is partially working - you have to hold the disk in place whilst it loads) and the old drive worked still so i know I havnt damaged anything in the mp..

It could just be a faulty drive though - Ive read those sony drives do usually work.

We should compile a list of all the compatible floppy drives for future reference.