Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Eightysix69 Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:34 pm
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I have searched the forums and could not find an answer to this question.

Let's say I record a sample, name it and assign it to drum1. Then I repeat that process 5 more times. I would then have 6 samples assigned to 6 pads. At this point if I were to record let's say 3 more samples, why is it that those newly recorded samples automatically take the name of the previously named samples? Why do they not appear as a new sample does as "sound00"? So I then have to rename the sample because it is a different sample than the name under which it appears. When I am renaming (in actuality just naming) that new sample it gives me the impression that it is going to replace the sample under whose name it appeared.
A similar issue is that, say I record 5 samples. They will be labeled "sound01" through "sound05", I then delete them. Then I record 3 more samples, they will appear as "sound06" through "sound08" when in actuality they are sounds 1 though 3 because I had deleted the previous 5 samples.

These are just a couple examples of the quirky things about the XLs ancient technology that make a super detail oriented person like me insane, confused and frustrated. Mind you I'm coming from a Ren and 2.2 software.
By tapedeck Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:16 pm
its trying to be your bro and save you the time from having to keep overwriting the name 'sound'. it assumes you are still sampling the same type of sound, so it wont change the base name until you do.

as for not adjusting the names because you have deleted the files, its just again trying to help you out by making it harder to overwrite files. what if you saved sound01 on the disk, delete sound01 from memory, and then start sampling again? if it called the new file sound01, you'd be prompted to overwrite the file on save, which would be insane because its obviously not the same file.

the thing you really want to watch is be sure to never name your files over 8 characters long. if you do, and then you interface with a computer via a card reader or etc, it can corrupt and destroy your files with names longer than 8 characters because it will just truncate the names to 8. so if you have mysound01 and mysound02, they will both become mysound~ which will really confuse and frustrate the os.
By Eightysix69 Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:04 pm
Oh, that makes sense, but I don't actually name my files "sample00", I name them names like "606LT", so when I record a new sample and it shows up named 606LT, it **** with me because it seems like I've recorded over the actual 606LT sound. And thanks for the 8 character tip. I recently read that somewhere on here, probably you telling it to someone else, and I made a mental note. Do you have any suggestions of tutorials dealing with managing files? Again, coming from the software, the XL is incredibly difficult for me. Because I can't see a visual readout and flow of the folders, files, samples, etc. I have a hard time saving and then relocating things. For instance if I create a new folder and the load it, I cannot find my way back to the root. I literally have had to turn off the unit and start from one. Or if I save 5 samples, how do I recall where they are? Am I just required to remember exactly which folder and which file in said folder that I saved it in? These are probably obvious, stupid questions but the difference in technology is so vast that it makes this stuff seem archaic and for me, very difficult.
By Eightysix69 Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:06 pm
I mean obviously I should remember where I saved samples to but sometimes when I go to look for them I can't find them. I think that's probably because I may be looking for them under the wrong file type? Like PGM rather than SND? Even still, I end up wanting to bash this thing and throw it out the window, or sell it.
By tapedeck Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:25 pm
Eightysix69 wrote:I end up wanting to bash this thing and throw it out the window, or sell it.

why did you decide to take such a step backward technology wise?

i use these dinosaurs cause thats what i grew up with, and i been doing it so long, i got a routine down. i can imagine how frustrating it would be if i started on a computer and then had to backtrack to a proprietary filesystem like this with almost no modern conveniences.

as for remembering where your samples are - yea you probably have to do that (but i dont think i really understand your question). as for going back up in folders, just use the left and up arrows. :mrgreen:

bonus:
SND = sound saved AS SOUND
WAV = sound saved AS WAVE
PGM = single program / collection of samples on pads
APS = all PGMs loaded in memory at one time
MID = single sequence
ALL = all sequences in memory at one time

when you save a pgm you have the option to save WITH SOUNDS or WITH WAVES - see above for definition of that. SND is slightly faster on the mpc itself, but not easy to use outside of an mpc. WAV is slightly slower to load, but usable anywhere WAV files are accepted.

yes it was probably me talking about keeping file names short - that bit me in the ass once or twice and so i repeat it a lot to hopefully save yall some trouble. :mrgreen: