Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By kaneaudio2 Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:58 pm
Hi all been using MPC 2000 for years never had this problem and hoping someone can help. When I save sequences to the Zip Drive and reload them I get an immediate error and it won't load when I go back to the main screen the master tempo is stuck at 30.00 and when I try to change it I get the following error DIV: Error at 0FE8: 995E . I've tried new zip drives new cables and new disks. IT doesn't happen when loading programs and sounds only sequences. Appreciate any help

thanks

ryan
By narcoticnoise Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:30 pm
I had the same issue ! It's an OS Bug on the classic!
User @Harmoncj ran me through the steps to avoid it:)

Message he sent me VVVVV

Actually, I'm an expert on that topic!! Holy moly, most mpc2k heads don't even get this far. so yeah you will tend to run into that screen and freeze if you are working on a big project... the good news is there is a solution!

SHORT STORY:
you can almost always save your project by putting ghost loops on your closed hi hats and any other very short samples. you can do this by zone edits like
1) insert same sample at beginning of zone
2) silence portion of the sample
3) turn on loop and highlight loop somewhere in that silence zone (but leave ~100 space at the end
that should do the trick

LONG STORY:
Oh boy I could write a book explaining this but I'm pretty sure it only applies to this 1 MPC

so whats going on with that DIV ERROR is I think the MPC forgets to allocate its samples voices and envelopes correctly. Mind you that both attack and decay represent 5 whole seconds so if you are using very short one shot samples and you can easily stack up a ton of virtual envelopes that don't even have samples attached to them!

So I made up some tests to see what could force the DIV ERROR screen and what wouldn't, these are the facts :

1) if your sample is LOOP ON it can never create the DIV error screen.

2) if your sample's playback setting is always DECAY=0 ATTACK=0 it can never create the DIV error screen. (not very fun though!)

3) if your sample is longer than 15seconds it can never create the DIV error screen (5seconds attack, 5seconds start point modulation, 5seconds decay)

You might have put together here whats going on is that when when the envelope times are 0, there are no runaway envelopes but when a sample is a loop, there will always be sound for the envelope.

so with that, it just depends, on the one hand its pretty tedious to add a ghost loop to every single sample you use, so I just toss it on closed hi hats always and then anything else if Id like to go crazy manipulating playback parameters. especially the start point modulation.
By kaneaudio2 Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:37 pm
Hey thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't believe this is the issue though as Ive tested it. For example lets say I just sample a single sound and I hit the pad once during the sequence. So one sound and one quarter note hit and save the program and sequence and save it. When I try to reload it it gives me a scsi read error when I exit that screen and go back to the sequence the sequencer has defaulted to 3o bpms and when I try to do anything like change tempo I get the DIV error
By narcoticnoise Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:43 pm
It could very be that your zip drive is dying on OR if you are lucky just a corrupted file in your project! but that's just my two cents......

does it happen with every zip disk? Or only when you load .ALL files etc?

Cause i only get errors opening .ALL and .PGM projects AT TIMES.... it just bugs out says "wait....." and takes me to the main screen of the mpc.
i then have to restart my MP cause the zip drive won't eject... Shit bugs me so much these zips are kinda unreliable and will only work when they want to it seems lol.
"
Are you able to open your samples via zip drive with out any errors?
By kaneaudio2 Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:47 pm
I bought a new zip drive hoping it would fix the problem and nope. I can load samples and programs just not sequences. I just did a simple sequence and tested it by saving to my floppy drive and then reloaded and it worked fine. When I save the same exact sequence to my zip and tried to reload instant error. But again the strange this is it's ONLY sequences cause the error and won't load and cause it to crash. Programs and sounds working fine
By narcoticnoise Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:59 pm
I get what you mean I've experience this same issue when i try to load the sequences via my zip drive. I've gotten the scsi error and takes me to the main screen.... But I've gotten the project/sequence to work by just re-doing it(when my zip gets and error turn off mpc and restart).... It's a pain though and really pisses me off!

I wonder what it could be causing this because it sounds like you and me have the same issue kinda????? but i don't experince the DIV error i only got it once. Maybe because i don't mess with the tempo like you mentioned if i do ill probably see it but who knows... sounds similar to the problem i have.

I recently read my zip drive 100 manual and it said it won't damage the machine by leaving it on (uses less than a night light of voltage) and ever since that i haven't experienced much errors when loading .all and .pgm saved sequences...

but yeah i'm able to load the programs and sounds just fine but when i click .ALL to load my sequences that's when i experienced the error... It happens and goes away after a couple of restarts but i don't want to be doing that.

Leaving the zip drive on but just ejecting the zip disk when not in use helped me out. (don't take my word for it though)
By kaneaudio2 Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:25 pm
Thanks for the replies. I've tried new disk new drives new cords and no matter what it won't load even the simplist of sequences. This has been going on for over a week. I've started from scratch and again saves to floppy disc fine but if I try loading from zip it goes crazy and crashes. the thing that boggles my mind is that i can still create save and load sounds and programs just fine it only sequences
By Lampdog Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:16 pm
It may be an untrapped error. There will never be an update to fix it. I've had a few of those errors before as well. They don't happen often but only way to deal with "a permanent OS error" is to reboot and try again.
By kaneaudio2 Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:23 pm
thanks for your reply. I;ve tried rebooting several times over the past week and same error and same default back to 30 bpm no matter what the sequence. Could it be a fuse issue? And if it's the fuse why would it only effect the sequences but not sounds or programs
By Lampdog Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:41 pm
Try and redownload the OS and place that on a fresh disk to boot up from.
By kaneaudio2 Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:25 pm
I just created a sequence again saved to floppy disc. Reloaded fine. Save the same sequence to a brand new zip disc reload scsi read error and back to the main screen it defaults to 30bpm master tempo. Has anyone else had this happen ever and fixed it ?
By Harmoncj Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:12 pm
can't be sure but that does seem like the data isn't coming back correctly over the SCSI chain!

disconnect all SCSI gear, boot from floppy, see if you can even access the SCSI option on the DISK menu screens. If this makes your MPC freeze then its that internal fuse.