Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By graintable Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:04 am
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but what's the deal with partitioning on OS 1.2?

I keep reading on here that it can't be done, however, the option is there when I go to format my card on the MPC2KXL? Does it just not work? It looks like it's creating 17 partitions (A-Q) of 941MB each (16GB card). Am I doing it wrong or is that simply the "can't be done" part (it doesn't work)?

If I downgrade to 1.14 will my card reader continue to work? I believe it's SCSI? (shows up on SCSI 0, has a scsicardreaders.com sticker, pics herehttp://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184534&p=1738156&hilit=graintable#p1737864 ) Could I then partition the card as described above?

Also, I've been loading .wavs on the card from a computer by putting the card in an MPC1K that's connected to my mac, sort of as a glorified card reader. Will this no longer be possible if I were to downgrade to 1.14?

Thanks!
By JUKE 179r Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:59 pm
If you have a StarTech or Addonics Card reader, you need OS1.2 to use the card reader.
If you have a SCSI card reader you are good to use either OS.
When I had my 2000XL I always used 1.14c.
By graintable Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:58 am
Thanks for the reply! I don't know jack about IDE/SCSI/ETC so I just wanted to be sure before I shot myself in the foot! Loaded up 1.14 and formatted the partitions no problem!

I think I get the whole partitioning thing now. Having the full 16GB available is nice, but now the laptop only sees the first partition, which makes file management/backups and such a little weirder.
By LADiego Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:20 pm
Having the full 16GB available is nice, but now the laptop only sees the first partition, which makes file management/backups and such a little weirder.

Given pc only sees one partition and not multiple partitions, I use a separate cf card for the sole purpose of transferring was files from pc to sampler. And use the MPC-partitioned 16gb cf with sampler only.

Hmm . . . I thought 1.20 version created only one partition (1gb limit) regardless of size of cf card. In other words, only 1gb max on a 16gb. That is weird.

I use a pcd47b scsi card reader from mpcstoragesolution.com on my mpc2000xl running 1.14 is which creates many partitions on larger size cf cards. It works nicely.