Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By CharlesRandolph Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:32 pm
Lazy Ray wrote:@ CharlesRandolph I used that interface on the motherboard indeed, with the 34 pin cable.

@ peterpiper, I've tested two Samsung SFD-321B drives. Didn't had a clue I tested two identical drives, until you've asked me. You think this is the problem?

The ribbon cable I used had the same twist as in this picture I found on internet: https://i.stack.imgur.com/VYByP.png

I see there are also ribbon cables with 34 pins and no twist. What does the MPC use??

Kind regards!

EDIT: read on the internet that the twist forces a drive to be A:\, with no twist it is B:\. Don't think the Akai OS will bother?

How many pins is your ribbon cable and how many pins in your floppy. If it's 34 pin, place it in 34 pin IDE adapter on the MPC's mother board. The one you have with the blue arrow.
By Lazy Ray Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:23 pm
Guys, I did it!!! Problem solved, thanks 2 you guys. When I was asked which drive I tried, I've searched on internet and found out Akai uses DS0 as jumper settings. The drives I was testing used DS1 as a standard. Now I used a drive from an even older PC, where I could change the jumper setting to DS0 and it works!

Guess I'm the most happy guy on this board who did a downgrade to floppy, haha!

So, next step will be buying a SCSI cable and an extern ZIP and/or JAZ drive. For now, saving beats to floppy!
By tapedeck Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:13 pm
thats badass congrats man.
i wanted to suggest jumper settings but i didnt see jumpers on that drive - good to know that is indeed what fixed it.

thanks for keeping us updated.
By Lazy Ray Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:39 pm
Yeah man, really happy and love to see that there's such a great community over here. I'll be more active from now on!
By CharlesRandolph Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 pm
Lazy Ray wrote:Guys, I did it!!! Problem solved, thanks 2 you guys. When I was asked which drive I tried, I've searched on internet and found out Akai uses DS0 as jumper settings. The drives I was testing used DS1 as a standard. Now I used a drive from an even older PC, where I could change the jumper setting to DS0 and it works!

Guess I'm the most happy guy on this board who did a downgrade to floppy, haha!

So, next step will be buying a SCSI cable and an external ZIP and/or JAZ drive. For now, saving beats to floppy!

Congrats!!! So did you keep the IDE cable in the first IDE adapter or the second one?

It's crazy how much they are trying to sell SCSI zip drives for. At those prices, you could buy another MPC 2000xl.
By Lazy Ray Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:31 am
Thanks man! The prices on ebay and mpc stuff and all that were the reason I wanted to fix this myself. An external scsi zip drive is also way cheaper on our 'local ebay', than the 'official mpc 2000xl zip drives', which are just from iOmega...

I used the smaller IDE interface (blue arrow). My internal zip drive was on the bigger IDE interface (green arrow), before he died.
By peterpiper Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:36 am
Great. Thats wy I ask about what drive you've tested :)
peace and have fun

BTW I'm still using a SCSI MO drive & disks without any problems for yeeeeeeaaaaars. Best storage media IMO