Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Hamsta Gangsta Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:52 pm
Wassup fam?

I decided to cop 2000xl and after looking at some offers it seems like these things are more expensive now than they used to be like, say, 5-6 years ago.
As I wasn't checking prices on a regular, maybe some of you who are more familiar with market trends could tell me if it's a temporary trend or the prices are going to stay on current level (or even rise)?

Thanks!
By distortedtekno Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:38 am
I’m still seeing prices between $500-$600. I see $700 and up as well, which isn’t much different as I’ve seen over the years. I’m sure those have 8 outputs installed and 32mb RAM. I’m seeing some ridiculous prices of $2000. But they’re never gonna sell. So there’s no difference really in the past 10 years. Not sure about the future. Probably depends on how well the newer models hold up over time.
By fidelitygone Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:24 am
Ehh remember, especially if you’re on eBay, the “Buy It Now” price or asking price does not mean that that’s what they sell for, ie that’s not market price. That’s what someone is asking for. Many of those listings on eBay have been there for months. I’d say more realistic prices right now are $400-500.

I just got one for $300. I just saw one auction for $400 and it worked fine and had 8 outs.

If you’re on eBay, sort by “completed listings” and select “auction”. That will give you a more realistic idea of market price.
By richie Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:08 pm
I have not seen the prices of MPC 2000 XL's going up in a region anywhere different from they have been for the past 3-4 years. They still average $350-500 depending on what the upgrades are and condition.
By Hamsta Gangsta Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:38 pm
Thanks for answers!

Damn, you guys are lucky, I'm in EU and prices are higher than in the US and offers are rather scarce. And shipping from US costs too f*kin much.
I found one fully equipped 2000xl locally for a little less than $800, I think I'm gonna cop it and call it a day.
By Lazy Ray Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 pm
I bought my current XL for 200 euros. Most XL's are around 500 euros at the moment. Saw some guys asking around 800 with some extra's. The 2k classic on the other hand is much cheaper at this moment, with 8 out and all...
By The Jackal Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:12 pm
I bought my maxed XL w/8 outputs & effects in pretty minty condition off Craigslist a good 5-6 years ago for $350 and any I've seen on there since, XL or non, have been asking twice that for half the quality (there's 2 on there now for $700). All I had to do was upgrade to a CF reader. But asking price and selling price are 2 different things.

There's several other vintage samplers going around locally for about $200 that I've been tempted to pick up because no one is grabbing them (except for the s950 of course, price on that listing is holding high & steady lol), but the fact that people aren't jumping on them makes me question how I'm going to offload some of my own gear; I feel like the second-hand hardware market has hit a lull in the last 2-3 years and will stay there for awhile, as it seems a lot of companies these days are revitalizing the hardware market and pumping out a lot of hands-on tech & products. The analog & modular markets have been BLOWING UP. I can think of 3-4 samplers off the top of my head that render both the XL AND computer obsolete that have been released in the last few years. The only thing the XL has now is "clout" or whatever the kids are calling it. It's been grandfathered in as a legacy piece of gear, much like an 808 or whatever.

TLDR Older samplers were in competition with computers in an era where those computers still rivaled samplers in power, yet people would still miss the hands-on experience of a sampler...so they would eschew the computer in favor of interaction. Now, we have hardware samplers that rival even computers in what they can do, so our older gear is in competition with those samplers, which can offer more than what a computer can do while retaining the hands-on experience of a hardware.
By Hamsta Gangsta Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:52 pm
Lazy Ray wrote:I bought my current XL for 200 euros. Most XL's are around 500 euros at the moment. Saw some guys asking around 800 with some extra's. The 2k classic on the other hand is much cheaper at this moment, with 8 out and all...

Damn :shock: That was a GOOD price. Out of curiosity - when did you buy it? Was it maxed out?

@The Jackal
Yeah, I agree with what you said, I decided to downsize my studio recently and posted some stuff for sale and it's still there 3 weeks later.
What are the samplers you mentioned in your post?