Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Daihard Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:22 am
Hey guys. Iv just copped an og MPC2000 (for the second time) and I’m wondering about external hard drives, or some sort of storage other than floppy’s. Is there a list of compatible hard drives anywhere online? Or is there some super cool storage utility all you “2000 guys” are using and wanna let me in on the secret lol. Thanks for any replies in advance.
By distortedtekno Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:48 pm
ontherun wrote:get an SCSI2SD Adapter, can use it externaly or internal, more space than MO

They don’t work with the 2000 Classic.
By tapedeck Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:48 pm
ontherun wrote:get an SCSI2SD Adapter, can use it externaly or internal, more space than MO

i'd agree with this.

i know yall nerds ( :mrgreen: ) loooove those mo drives, but the fact is, its obsolete /dead technology. its going to get harder to find, and i bet the cost of a used / old drive + used / old disks comes to about the same price of a brand new, technologically superior scsi2sd.
By tapedeck Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:50 pm
distortedtekno wrote:

They don’t work with the 2000 Classic.

how so? it looks like a scsi hard drive to any device that uses it. does the classic not work with scis hard drives? that'd be news to me.

now you might have a point here about not having folder support, so you might have to partition the sd, if thats a thing.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 pm
Daihard wrote:Hey guys. Iv just copped an og MPC2000 (for the second time) and I’m wondering about external hard drives, or some sort of storage other than floppy’s. Is there a list of compatible hard drives anywhere online? Or is there some super cool storage utility all you “2000 guys” are using and wanna let me in on the secret lol. Thanks for any replies in advance.

If your beats can fit on a floppy.

1. Buy a USB to floppy drive for your computer
2. Save to Floppy
3. Plug USB floppy to Computer and Back up the project
4. Purchase the MPC 2 Software just in case you want to work on the beat

If you can find a quality SCSI ZIP or MO

1. Buy a USB to zip or MO drive for your computer
2. Save to zip
3. Plug USB MO/Zip to Computer and Back up the project

OTHER OPTION

1. Make a beat on the MPC
2. Track out each sound to a Computer DAW
3. Turn off machine.

Floppy: Cheap, Drives and Disk are easy to find, but they do not hold lot of data
MO and Zip: Expensive, Can be hard to find, but they hold more data
Tracking out: Cheap but Can't save the project file

From an archives point of view: Use the most reliable back up you can find and transfer it to current
backup medium ASAP.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By tapedeck Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:19 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:If you can find a quality SCSI ZIP

1. Buy a USB to zip drive for your computer
2. Save to zip
3. Plug USB Zip to Computer and Back up the project

this is not a viable option - please dont do this.

avoid zip at all costs - you will lose your beats eventually. every other medium is better than zip.

there are card readers that will work with the 2000, and that is another good, modern option. that info is somewhere in this forum but yea you will have to dig to find it.
By distortedtekno Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:24 pm
tapedeck wrote:how so? it looks like a scsi hard drive to any device that uses it. does the classic not work with scis hard drives? that'd be news to me.

now you might have a point here about not having folder support, so you might have to partition the sd, if thats a thing.

Show me a SCSI2SD actually working in an MPC2000 and I’ll believe you. Also if you look at the compatibility listing on their site, there’s no mention of the 2K Classic at all. I can not and will not recommend anything that hasn’t been proven to work. So why would you?
By LADiego Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:37 am
distortedtekno wrote:
tapedeck wrote:how so? it looks like a scsi hard drive to any device that uses it. does the classic not work with scis hard drives? that'd be news to me.

Show me a SCSI2SD actually working in an MPC2000 and I’ll believe you. Also if you look at the compatibility listing on their site, there’s no mention of the 2K Classic at all. I can not and will not recommend anything that hasn’t been proven to work. So why would you?

I agree with distortedtekno. Sometime ago I tried the scsi2sd with my mpc2000 and it just did NOT work. In my opinion, The scsi2sd is not a card reader option for the mpc2000. Nor I do not know of anyone who has one working with mpc2000.

If you are considering a flash card solution then it must be cf. I use hotswap scsi cf card reader (external) with my mpc2000. You would be up and running in no time. Not cheap though.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:07 am
distortedtekno wrote:Expensive and hard to find?
Come on man! :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-128MB-Magneto-Optical-Disk-3-5-DISK-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-PC-MAC-COMP/192641601769?hash=item2cda5590e9:g:noQAAOSwpG1bYMJq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUJITSU-MCR3230SS-3-5-2-3-GB-SCSI-MAGNETO-OPTICAL-DRIVE-w-Brackets/142913755540?hash=item214652d994:g:fG8AAOSwnNBXac9H:sc:USPSPriorityMailPaddedFlatRateEnvelope!11779!US!-1

1. What if he wants an External?
2. How about one, to back up the disk to PC?

You need 3 back ups: Local, In the Cloud, and off site. I also suggest saving on different back up mediums, because you should never be reliant on one format.

Also $5.00 for 128 MB is expensive if he bought 10 disk, that 50 dollar for 1.280 GIGS of space. :lol:
By distortedtekno Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:22 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
distortedtekno wrote:Expensive and hard to find?
Come on man! :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-128MB-Magneto-Optical-Disk-3-5-DISK-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-PC-MAC-COMP/192641601769?hash=item2cda5590e9:g:noQAAOSwpG1bYMJq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUJITSU-MCR3230SS-3-5-2-3-GB-SCSI-MAGNETO-OPTICAL-DRIVE-w-Brackets/142913755540?hash=item214652d994:g:fG8AAOSwnNBXac9H:sc:USPSPriorityMailPaddedFlatRateEnvelope!11779!US!-1

1. What if he wants an External?
2. How about one, to back up the disk to PC?

You need 3 back ups: Local, In the Cloud, and off site. I also suggest saving on different back up mediums, because you should never be reliant on one format.

Also $5.00 for 128 MB is expensive if he bought 10 disk, that 50 dollar for 1.280 GIGS of space. :lol:

1. Buy an external SCSI housing
2. Buy a PCI SCSI card.

You don’t need 3 backups. 1 is good enough. There’s better deals than the 128mb for $5 out there. I see them all the time and post them on this forum from time to time. I have several disks that are 230mb and 540mb which I bought for cheap. Since the 2000 only has 32mb RAM, those disks will go a long way. It’s still more affordable than buying a CF drive and cards. When an MPC2000 costs around $200 to $300 on average, who the hell would wanna spend close to the same amount on a CF reader when you can go the MO route for a fraction of the cost? May as well buy a 2000XL, 1000, or a 2500 if you’re willing to spend that much money. Then you won’t have to deal with the limitations of having no folders and you can have better access to swapping files to and from a computer.The thing with me is that if I need to rely on a computer, I would just use my DAW and forget about the MPC. Then I wouldn’t have to transfer samples from a computer to the MPC to make a beat and then have to track it all out back into a DAW again.
As for samples, I’d rather use the MPC for what it was intended to do... sample. My samples sound much better when I actually sample them as opposed to dragging and dropping them from a computer.
By tapedeck Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:17 pm
distortedtekno wrote:

fair enough, but just because its not listed on the site doesnt mean its not compatible, it means nobody has reported it working yet. i dont see a reason why it wouldn't work - its a totally standard scsi device.

now, hearing the report of someone not being able to get it to work holds some water and is worth considering, it just seems to me that there's no reason it shouldn't work. there is some hacking involved cause you need to make a power cable, you'd need to have a way to boot the mpc first with a boot disk so you could format the drive, so there's a lot that could go wrong.

some brave soul will figure it out - if i had access to a 2k i'd give it a shot.
By Wal Martian Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:01 pm
ontherun wrote:get an SCSI2SD Adapter, can use it externaly ̶o̶̶̶r̶̶̶ ̶̶̶i̶̶̶n̶̶̶t̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶n̶̶̶a̶̶̶l̶̶̶,

To put a SCSI drive of any kind in a 2K classic requires hacking the external SCSI, from the board or from the DB25 port and routing it inside the case. 2Kxl different story.