Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By CharlesRandolph Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 pm
distortedtekno wrote:You don’t need 3 backups. 1 is good enough.

You only have one back up of your music? If your composition are important, better safe than sorry.

distortedtekno wrote:There’s better deals than the 128mb for $5 out there. I see them all the time and post them on this forum from time to time. I have several disks that are 230mb
and 540mb which I bought for cheap. Since the 2000 only has 32mb RAM, those disks will go a long way. It’s still more affordable than buying a CF drive and cards.
I agree, 540 mb would go a long way. Where are you finding these disk? Do you have a supplier or are they at random.

distortedtekno wrote:When an MPC2000 costs around $200 to $300 on average, who the hell would wanna spend close to the same amount on a CF reader when you can
go the MO route for a fraction of the cost? May as well buy a 2000XL, 1000, or a 2500 if you’re willing to spend that much money.

I've seen MPC 2000 for 200-300 but they are not functioning. Where are you finding these? Also don't you have to mod the MPC 2000 to install an internal MO Drive. From what I know, there some soldering involed and most people don't want to do that much work. LOL

distortedtekno wrote:Then you won’t have to deal with the limitations of having no folders and you can have better access to swapping files to and from a computer.The thing with me is that if I need
to rely on a computer, I would just use my DAW and forget about the MPC. Then I wouldn’t have to transfer samples from a computer to the MPC to make a beat and then have to track
it all out back into a DAW again.

No need to do this if you use the MPC Software 2. Just load the projects files into it. Nevertheless if your are tracking through a particular hardware chain, real time is the only way to do it.

distortedtekno wrote: As for samples, I’d rather use the MPC for what it was intended to do... sample. My samples sound much better when I actually sample them as opposed to dragging and dropping them
from a computer.

I would not necessarily say better, but they do obtain color from the machine.
By distortedtekno Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:52 am
tapedeck wrote:fair enough, but just because its not listed on the site doesnt mean its not compatible, it means nobody has reported it working yet. i dont see a reason why it wouldn't work - its a totally standard scsi device.

now, hearing the report of someone not being able to get it to work holds some water and is worth considering, it just seems to me that there's no reason it shouldn't work. there is some hacking involved cause you need to make a power cable, you'd need to have a way to boot the mpc first with a boot disk so you could format the drive, so there's a lot that could go wrong.

some brave soul will figure it out - if i had access to a 2k i'd give it a shot.

I’ve been in the same school of thought that it should work. But I haven’t been willing to try it. If MO drives weren’t a reliable option, then I probably would’ve.
Aside from reports that nobody’s had any luck with them, I did happen to see a post about someone claiming it to work. They even provided screenshots. But that post went missing and I can’t vouch for the validity of it. A screenshot of the display showing that it was recognized by the MPC was all I saw. I didn’t actually see any videos of files being loaded, played, saved, etc. So I’m not sure if it actually works 100% and I have yet to figure out where this missing post went. I’m not even sure if it was real or photoshopped. Really odd.
By distortedtekno Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:00 am
Charles, you don’t need to do an internal mod to get an MO drive to work. Just install it in an external case, which is what I did originally before deciding to do the internal mod.

I’m guessing the prices of the 2000 have gone up if you can’t find a working unit in the $200-$300 range. It’s been a while since I checked. But it’s good to know.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:55 am
distortedtekno wrote:Charles, you don’t need to do an internal mod to get an MO drive to work. Just install it in an external case, which is what I did originally before deciding to do the internal mod.

I’m guessing the prices of the 2000 have gone up if you can’t find a working unit in the $200-$300 range. It’s been a while since I checked. But it’s good to know.

Is there any particular enclosure you would suggest?
By richie Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:46 pm
Why does it need to be a particular enclosure? Any SCSI enclosure with an internal 50 pin connection will suffice.
By distortedtekno Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:27 pm
richie wrote:Why does it need to be a particular enclosure? Any SCSI enclosure with an internal 50 pin connection will suffice.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:37 pm
richie wrote:Why does it need to be a particular enclosure? Any SCSI enclosure with an internal 50 pin connection will suffice.

Always good to get advice from those who are familiar with the technology.

- External Build Quality.
- Physical Esthetics.
- Longevity of the internal components.
By peterpiper Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:19 am
I use MO disks for about 25 years. never dissapointed. I used different MO drives in different external cases. They all worked fantastic and still does. They are extremly realiable (all of the components: Disks, drives, cases. Many of thm are metalcases you can hit a hammer on top and the drive would still work.) Most of my disks were still sealed and unformatted (new) have 230 MB and were cheap (to be honest I bought most of the ones that I use now ca 5 years ago and I havn't bought them one after another but in 5x or 10x packs). Since this is such a reliable storage you really need just 1 backup. Don't try to discuss backup management with me. I've been thru all of it and doin backups of my PCs HDD all the time (3 backups at different locations) cause I've lost many things back in the days.

MPC2000 + external MOD drive = perfect match Its technology that can't be compared with all the cheap shit comin out today. The level of build quality on those enclosures and drives were really good (leave alone those zip shit) just like a Technics SL1200 MKII
point blank :twisted:
peace

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-AppleCD- ... 3417104397

throw away that effin cd drive and put the MO drive in it. Sure you don't find this EVERY day this cheap but it speaks for itself that I found this TODAY on just 1 platform (ebay) within 1 minute.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:20 am
peterpiper wrote:I use MO disks for about 25 years. never dissapointed. I used different MO drives in different external cases. They all worked fantastic and still does. They are extremly realiable (all of the components: Disks, drives, cases. Many of thm are metalcases you can hit a hammer on top and the drive would still work.) Most of my disks were still sealed and unformatted (new) have 230 MB and were cheap (to be honest I bought most of the ones that I use now ca 5 years ago and I havn't bought them one after another but in 5x or 10x packs). Since this is such a reliable storage you really need just 1 backup. Don't try to discuss backup management with me. I've been thru all of it and doin backups of my PCs HDD all the time (3 backups at different locations) cause I've lost many things back in the days.

MPC2000 + external MOD drive = perfect match Its technology that can't be compared with all the cheap **** comin out today. The level of build quality on those enclosures and drives were really good (leave alone those zip ****) just like a Technics SL1200 MKII
point blank :twisted:
peace

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-AppleCD- ... 3417104397

throw away that effin cd drive and put the MO drive in it. Sure you don't find this EVERY day this cheap but it speaks for itself that I found this TODAY on just 1 platform (ebay) within 1 minute.

Which MO Drives do you have?
Sony, Fujitsu, Teac, Hewlett Packard, MaxOptix, Panasonic, Plasmon. Pioneer?

Do you know which disk and drives, were used for Enterprise Backup? This looks like another
format that can be used for long term archives.
By peterpiper Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:34 pm
I use (used) Fujitsu, Sony and Olympus. I havn't found differences. They all worked flawless.
peace
By CharlesRandolph Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:57 pm
peterpiper wrote:I use (used) Fujitsu, Sony and Olympus. I havn't found differences. They all worked flawless.
peace

Thank you. I've talked to a friend who had a Plasmon M-Series Magneto Optical sitting around. He's no longer using it but it's fully functioning. So he's sending it over along with 2 boxes of M.O. Disk. Just paying for shipping. :nod: After researching more into these, they make for a great archive medium.