Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Dammaubeats Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:04 pm
dubsetter wrote:hey i got the zulu scsi card installed now. (the internal one on the scsi port of the mpc)
works fine so far with 2 hd s (1,8 gb) and 3 cd . iso files(full of mpc sounds from the shop i bought the card)
i also was managing to transfer my old sequences and programs from my old atapi zip drive
to the sd card on the mpc, plus creating subfolders on the hd drives as it was on my old zips.

im still on os 1.14,
so i was wondering if i should upgrade to os 1.20
as im not sure what are the advantages to 1.14. ?
is it still possible to create subfolders on the drives (with the mpc)
as with os 1.14.?
is 1.20 better because it can read larger files (the hd.iso) than 1 gb?

if i should upgrade can i place the MPC.bin file on the sd card,
or should i use the old floppy drive?

thanx....

I am trying to do this, how do you set the files to be recognized by the MPC?
By Lampdog Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:43 pm
https://bignoiseradio.com/product/akai- ... oppy-disk/

MPC2000XL OS 1.14 verses 1.20:
When you format your media with OS version 1.20 you will be able to move files between your PC and your MPC (using Win XP, (I used Win 10 also), however this Akai OS version will only recognize 1048MB (1.05GB) of memory on your media card or drive. If you format your media with MPC OS 1.14 you’ll be able to partition the media and take advantage of all the memory space on your media. For example a 2GB media card could be partitioned into four 500MB partitions. When partitioned and formatted by OS 1.14 the media will only be compatible with the MPC and not with the PC.

I formatted all my 512mb CF's (I had a 2kxlse2 -orange) on PC via Win10 FAT and I was able to take the CF to/from MPC at any time with my ATAPI 7in1 MCD.
By richie Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:02 am
dubsetter wrote:nevermind..
i will stay on 0S 1.14 and partitions of the hd.iso files (scsi drives)

Nehmen Sie das bitte nicht übel, aber ich habe schon mehrfach erwähnt, dass die hd.iso-Sache spezifisch für das Zulu-SCSI-Setup ist und nichts damit zu tun hat, wie der XL Partitionen erkennt.

Der XL erstellt beim Formatieren eines SCSI-Geräts weiterhin das A-Z-Partitionslayout. Wenn Sie also bereits mit 1.14 ein Partitionslayout erstellt haben, kann 1.20 es problemlos lesen.

Auch hier wird die Datei im .iso-Format nicht vom XL selbst gelesen, der XL erkennt lediglich, dass es sich um eine SCSI-Festplatte handelt, und formatiert sie entsprechend.

Denken Sie daran, dass Sie ständig über hd0.iso sprechen, das den Zulu nur anweist, eine SCSI-CD-ROM auf dieser 0-ID zu emulieren. Wenn Sie also beabsichtigen, den Zulu-SCSI als beschreibbares Gerät zu verwenden, nennen Sie es hd0.img

Die einzige Einschränkung besteht darin, dass ich nicht 100 % sicher bin, wie hoch die Grenze beim Formatieren ist. Ich erinnere mich nur daran, dass ich mit einem externen SCSI-Laufwerk etwas mehr als 9 GB Speicherplatz formatieren konnte.

Ich schreibe dies auf Deutsch in der Hoffnung, dass du ein für alle Mal verstehst, was ich meine, Bruder.
Last edited by richie on Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By richie Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:06 am
Dammaubeats wrote:I am trying to do this, how do you set the files to be recognized by the MPC?

the XL will recognize it based on how the files are named.

Since the Zulu can handle multiple SCSI ids, all you'd do is just make a few files

hd0.img if you want the Zulu SCSI to run on SCSI ID 0, and name it 1, 2 or 3 if you want it on the other ids.

Now if you downloaded an Akai sample cd iso online, you'd name it hd0.iso and the Zulu will emulate a CD drive.
By richie Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:19 am
Dammaubeats wrote:Thanks man. I tried few times the MPC recognizes but is showing just 0MB. I will continue digging to see if I can make it works.

Could you list what you specifically tried? Maybe it's something simple you may have overlooked?
By dubsetter Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:21 am
Lampdog wrote:https://bignoiseradio.com/product/akai-mpc-2000xl-os-upgrade-operating-system-floppy-disk/

MPC2000XL OS 1.14 verses 1.20:
When you format your media with OS version 1.20 you will be able to move files between your PC and your MPC (using Win XP, (I used Win 10 also), however this Akai OS version will only recognize 1048MB (1.05GB) of memory on your media card or drive. If you format your media with MPC OS 1.14 you’ll be able to partition the media and take advantage of all the memory space on your media. For example a 2GB media card could be partitioned into four 500MB partitions. When partitioned and formatted by OS 1.14 the media will only be compatible with the MPC and not with the PC.

I formatted all my 512mb CF's (I had a 2kxlse2 -orange) on PC via Win10 FAT and I was able to take the CF to/from MPC at any time with my ATAPI 7in1 MCD.

thanx for the info...
By dubsetter Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:29 am
richie wrote:
dubsetter wrote:nevermind..
i will stay on 0S 1.14 and partitions of the hd.iso files (scsi drives)

Die einzige Einschränkung besteht darin, dass ich nicht 100 % sicher bin, wie hoch die Grenze beim Formatieren ist. Ich erinnere mich nur daran, dass ich mit einem externen SCSI-Laufwerk etwas mehr als 9 GB Speicherplatz formatieren konnte.

Ich schreibe dies auf Deutsch in der Hoffnung, dass du ein für alle Mal verstehst, was ich meine, Bruder.

hey richie , thanx but no need to post it german..
i guess it was just a misunderstanding.

what i meant was, how much gb can u use with os 1.14 for the partition size
of the virtual drive ( in my case the hd.file is 1,8 gb big).
if i make four partitions they should be like 650 mb big each.
but they don t, the mpc creates the partitions like 140mb big so
my guess was that it can only read like 650 mb hd.files (disks).
(or maybe i did something wrong in the partition process??)

its all good , because i can make like 4 hd. disk on the zulu of 650 mb
which is more than enough for me.
my only question was if 1.20 could read lager disk files.
hope i made it clear for you now.
By dubsetter Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:44 am
Dammaubeats wrote:Thanks man. I tried few times the MPC recognizes but is showing just 0MB. I will continue digging to see if I can make it works.

hey ..
u can just create an empty hd file with the command(run as administrator) line in windows:

Type: cd c:\Users\yourusername\desktop

Press: Enter. This will change the directory for where you save the .hda imagefile that ZuluScsi uses to emulate a SCSI-drive to your desktop.

Now you get a new command line :

PS C:\Users\yourusername\desktop>

Type: fsutil file createnew HD0.hda 1800000000

Press: Enter.

The app will return the following message :

File C:\Users\yourusername\desktop\hd0.hda is created

Then the app will return to :

PS C:\Users\yourusername\desktop>

this creates a 1,8 gb hd.file on your desktop (scsi 0)
you can use 1, 2 , .. and so on for different scsi- disk numbers on the zulu card.
(remember number 6 is the internal controller of the 2000 xl, number 5 the external scsi output)

once created you can drop them on you zulu card,
get back to the mpc and select the drive and format them in mpc format.
(dont know if that is necessary at all)
then u can do partitions on the drives with the mpc.
By dubsetter Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:27 pm
dubsetter wrote:what i meant was, how much gb can u use with os 1.14 for the partition size
of the virtual drive ( in my case the hd.file is 1,8 gb big).
if i make four partitions they should be like 650 mb big each.
but they don t, the mpc creates the partitions like 140mb big so
my guess was that it can only read like 650 mb hd.files (disks).
(or maybe i did something wrong in the partition process??)

sorry , in upper post i mentioned 650 mb for each partition,
i meant of course 450 mb.
4 x 450 mb = 1,8 gb.
and i meant hd disk files created on the pc,
no cd .iso. if that was misleading to what im asking for.

btw:
how can i change the topic name to more zulu related..?
By dubsetter Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:14 am
ah, overlooked, that u use 1.20...

did u format the drives in the mpc again after
dropping the card back from pc into the zulu?

its strange , that the mpc sees the drives , but with only 0 mb.
dont think it has to do with OS 1.14 vs 1.20
By dubsetter Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:19 am
ah okay..
normally it should say "scsi" when the mpc recognize the drive created
on the zulu. (scsi-0, scsi-1, and so on...)
then you can format it in the mpc.
that saying, seems to me either the iso files created on the card are faulty,

or the card itself can be the problem.
( the card also has to be formatted first in the pc / fat 32 or fat 16
not sure, as my card was preinstalled.
but i use a 32 gb as well, so the size is okay i guess)