Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By manufracture Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:07 am
Hey Everyone,

I fired the 2000 up today and for some reason the machine hangs…waiting
when i try to scroll through the disk mode to select SCSI option.

I have changed boot disks, unplugged everything but it still persists. Could it be the SCSI fuse? I had this once before when sampling.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
By manufracture Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:15 pm
Just a quick update - My 2K is now with my tech and he has changed the scsi fuse but this had no effect.
He thinks it could be the SCSI zip?
Whilst I was there I scrolled through the disk ID's and it was hanging quite a bit on each ID up until ID 5 when it froze completely - I have now just purchased another Zip 100 to test.
Quick question will the 100 zip read 250 disks? I was told no
Thanks in advance
By manufracture Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:30 pm
So after having the SCSI fuse changed, finding a replacement drive and disconnected the 8 outs board the Waiting... problem still persists.
Apart from buying another machine does anyone have any suggestions?
A head scratcher for sure
By richie Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:03 pm
I read that you changed boot disks and replaced the SCSI drive.

With regards to the zip drive, I take it you have alternated between setting the drive with termination on and off, and alternating between SCSI ID 5 / 6 right? I'm pretty sure that SCSI ID 6 on the 2000 is reserved for the 2000's controller. So if you do have the ability (depending on your zip drive variant) to switch to a lower SCSI ID, that would be great.

With regards to the boot drive, does the 2000 make any attempt to seek (do you see the light kick in to indicate that it is attempting to load data off of the disk drive?)

Other than that, I do have a theory that could be worth attempting - utilizing something like a Zulu SCSI, SCSI2SD where you can actually set the SCSI ID to be whatever you want, so I do wonder what would happen if you set the primary boot to SCSI ID 0 (you could actually set several virtual ids from 0 to 4 but for now we'll keep this to 0), to prevent the SCSI bus from attempting to seek anything above 0.

The problem is, even if we can prove the theory correct, in that loading a drive off SCSI ID 0 prevents the 2000 from freezing, there still lies the issue of the boot drive not loading an OS. The only alternative then would be to find someone on here with one of the aforementioned SCSI emulators I mentioned, have them upload their drive img file with OS 1.72 already saved on it, consequently bypassing the floppy drive all together.

Just some ideas for you to explore man, good luck.

I've blessed the post so god is with you.
By manufracture Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:35 pm
Hi Richie,

Many thanks for your reply and your blessing!

Sorry if it wasn't clear in my post but the boot drive is fine and can happily load up the OS. I even formatted a floppy disk with it so all good on that front.
It appears to be related to the SCSI drive as when it is not connected the machine responds much better selecting an ID.
When the zip drive is connected the machine tends is sluggish and crawls through to ID5 where it hangs until switched off.
This happened once before and turns out it was the 8 out board hence why I disconnected it but made no difference
The machine itself I am not wedded to but rather 20 years of projects sat on those disks.

The last thing I have yet to test is the cable as only have x 1. It's a long shot but sometimes the simplest things get overlooked. Failing that I may loo into buying another 2000 or XL just to get those tracks stored more securely.
By richie Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:07 am
Does your zip drive have a toggle on the back that will allow you to switch in a wider range of SCSI ID's?

Also, are you noticing the same problems with both SCSI zip drives you own?

Lastly, not exactly sure how the 8 out could be causing issues with the SCSI bus as they're not connected.

Going back to the original response I left, it would be noteworthy to try to verify the theory, of setting to SCSI ID 0 or 1 (provided the devices you have are capable of it)

Also, no answers regarding the termination? I asked a bunch of questions in the previous response so when you get time, perhaps go through them and let me know.
By manufracture Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:17 am
Hi There,

Thanks for your reply I ill try and answer as best I can.

Does your zip drive have a toggle on the back that will allow you to switch in a wider range of SCSI ID's?

Yes it does 5/6 scsi ID

Also, are you noticing the same problems with both SCSI zip drives you own?

Tried x 3 deifferent drives toggling between scsi id/cables

Lastly, not exactly sure how the 8 out could be causing issues with the SCSI bus as they're not connected.

I know right, but I had a problem before that was messing with the machine and it turned out to be the output board. Trying to treat it like a computer issue when you disconnect the peripherals if that makes sense?

Going back to the original response I left, it would be noteworthy to try to verify the theory, of setting to SCSI ID 0 or 1 (provided the devices you have are capable of it)

As mentioned above I have tried various combinations of the drives in different config termination on/off scsi ID 5/6. I have even tried to trick the machine by selecting SCSI 5 which it does when no drive connected and then attach the scsi cable

Also, no answers regarding the termination? I asked a bunch of questions in the previous response so when you get time, perhaps go through them and let me know.

One thing I did notice was that when booting up from floppy there was a SCSI ID bar but this only happen once and can't remember which ID it was I'm afraid.

Hope this makes more sense now
By manufracture Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:11 pm
Hey,

So just responding with an update with this.
I went home this weekend on the hunt for my old Atari St demos and cassette masters and remembered my brother has a MPC2K!
I took some zip disks and my drive and boom they work so it is definitely a problem with the machine.
Now what I would like to know is the scsi section part of the motherboard or a separate board that could be switched out?
Appreciate any help with this
peace