Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By amedeocorona Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:02 pm
Yo so whenever I load files onto my SD card on my mac and open it back in my mpc, there's always a duplication of each and every file.

Like if I input "Snare", when I open the MPC there will be that "Snare" file, but there will also be "_Snare" and it's not a file I can even open.

Same with my folders it duplicates those as well with an underscore in front of it.
By Telefunky Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:27 pm
Afaik it‘s an OSX feature to write the resource part of a file to non-hfs volumes.
Way back in time all Apple files were effectively 2 files (data and resource fork) under 1 entry on disk, impossible to be handled by other file systems.
The „resource fork“ thing isn‘t of much use today, but has been kept for compatibility.

Iirc there are ways to patch the OS to not create such ._files at all, but they require a deeper understanding of the file system and unix terminal skills.
The tool mentioned above (there are more, do a search for alternatives) is the easiest way to get rid of that stuff.
By amedeocorona Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:57 pm
Telefunky wrote:Afaik it‘s an OSX feature to write the resource part of a file to non-hfs volumes.
Way back in time all Apple files were effectively 2 files (data and resource fork) under 1 entry on disk, impossible to be handled by other file systems.
The „resource fork“ thing isn‘t of much use today, but has been kept for compatibility.

Iirc there are ways to patch the OS to not create such ._files at all, but they require a deeper understanding of the file system and unix terminal skills.
The tool mentioned above (there are more, do a search for alternatives) is the easiest way to get rid of that stuff.

Ah word thank you
By synaptyx Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:56 pm
Was just getting frustrated with this issue today and couldn't get Eject for Windows to do anything on my M2 Pro Sonoma Mac. Then I found Onyx: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html a free app that'll let you clean stuff up before you put it in your MPC. Does the trick mostly. I leaves .spotlight .trashes and .fseventd files, but I don't mind that so much.