Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Konfidintial Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:37 am
I had some irreparable damage an MpC 2000xl
That was gifted to me.
It had an issue with the no audio coming into the board but everything else worked fine.

I ordered a used one from
eBay just because they are so hard to find for a decent price. I did get a good price on this one, and still am still able to return it.
However, being that they’re so hard to find and find at good price. I want to see if this in one is worth trying to repair.
When I power it on all of the lights come on and it’s just stuck like that with a blank screen.

It’s definitely something with this board but I can switch it out with the other one and get it to boot
Just fine.
I got an emprom chip thinking it needed the iOS reinstalled but that didn’t work. I used shift while tuning the jig wheel-nothing..

Was wondering if any one had any experience with this board specific issue?
Any help is greatly appreciated
By richie Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:41 am
Regarding your issue, All the lights with a blank screen on an XL can mean several things.

I've had units that had that issue which were easily resolved by removing and re-seating every ribbon connector in the unit.

If doing that didn't work for me, I'd work with process of elimination

- If the XL has the 8 outs installed, disconnect the ribbon connector and try to turn on the XL to see if anything has changed.
- Same with a floppy drive / card reader, disconnect the the ribbon and power connector.
- Remove any extra ram installed to let the XL boot off of the default 2mb.

Regarding your other XL where everything works but no sound, it's likely the burnt resistor on R23 (lower right hand corner of the mainboard). More info here:
viewtopic.php?p=1680901

The recovery ROM chip you purchased was a good idea as if the XL's mainboard has a dead flash, you can boot directly off that recovery ROM. Hopefully you were not being cheap and bought a used one, there can be issues with used EPROM chips from people on eBay. Either way, Keep it as a backup.

I've blessed this post so god is on your side now.