Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Broken Wed May 28, 2003 2:01 am
Hi,
I'd like to know if it makes a huge difference when sampling from records, with what type of DJ mixer you're using. If so what are the differences and what are some ones that people here might reccommend. Currently i'm using a Stanton SK5.
Thanks
By Electro Goof Wed May 28, 2003 3:47 am
I would recondemmed an ecler mixer cause of its superior sound quality
but I actually don´t know how bad the stanton sounds...
So try out yourself. Maybe a Behringer mixer will give you the same or superior soundquality as your ´stanton(cheap) stuff. Try also the real expensive league(vestax,glockenklang and more really expensive stuff) and find out yourself, if the sonic quality is it worth, it´s just a subjective thing... :twisted:

By Mddl Fngr Wed May 28, 2003 3:34 pm
I'd recommend one with kill switches and Eq for high, mid, and low. Those are the most useful features for me when sampling. Try shoppin somewhere with a good exchange policy and see what works for you. I wouldn't go out and buy somethin jus because its expensive. You may be payin for features you'll never use.

By jorge guzman Wed May 28, 2003 4:55 pm
i agree with middl, price isnt everything, if its just for sampling why would u get a tournament dj mixer like if u were gonna batlle dj q-bert, all u need is to get the signal across into the mpc, some knobs to bring down the lows, high and mids would be helpful though
By Electro Goof Wed May 28, 2003 6:13 pm
You may also use only a phono preamp, for pure sampling you don´t need a mixer. One could also use one of these fancy turntables which already have a digital out built in :). Regarding sonic quality, you can only decide yourself if a mixer sounds good or not. Just run the same signal thru a behringer a stanton or whatever and a pricey mixer like vestax or
something like that. For me, a ecler pro20 for example is really good sounding and has reasonably price tag imo.

By cybernaga595 Wed May 28, 2003 10:44 pm
Yo Mddl Fngr, how do you utilize the Eq for high, mid, and low. I got them on my mixer but never notice a difference when i play with the switches. What should happen exactly? Thanks for the helpp,

oohh yeah i agree with jorge guzman, price aint nothin...heck i was gonna jus cop a phono preamp until i got a sweet deal on my behringer. But defintley try b4 u buy, that way u can choose wats best for you...peace

By Mddl Fngr Thu May 29, 2003 2:39 pm
I don't always want everything in a sample. If I want more or less of the bass, I turn that freq up or down respectively. same for the mids and highs. I don't worry too much 'bout the highs cuz of the low pass filter in the MPC. Lately I been using the filters/EQ off the eb16, they do aight. I'm not sure why you're not hearin a difference. Try sampling from a different output... i don't know.

By Dr.Foo Thu May 29, 2003 8:49 pm
Im a battle dj as well so I know a little about mixers, (ok well alot about mixers)

for a dj mixer, stanton has excellent build quality and are low noise. I would go with the vestax though in that price range.
Ecler mixers break. They break for no reason. Many swear by them and have had no problmes, but with ecler its either works 100% or breaks everytime, no middle ground.
I would get a rane TTM-56, best sound quality in the dj mixer world . 3band eq, 1/4" inputs and outputs and I think it may even have an effects send on each of the 2 channels. Rane kicks, plain and simple.
although the stanton shouldnt be a problem for sampling, and stuff like that. even if its just a 2band eq, you can still get around this.

Byjimisteel Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:50 am
akai mfc 42 is tight and i dont work for akai or anything it is a bit pricey at about$479 but there is basically no white background noise on samples plus its a filter too. sounds quite a bit better than most mixers the only thing comparable would be like rane or allen and heath. its designed to sample through. a mixer is good for adjustable crossfader for scratching the filter is much better for sampling. gemini vestax have decent quality i bought a stanton and it pretty terrible decent crossfader though.

By ieism Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:58 am
The mfc 42 has come down in price quite a bit lately. You can pick one up for about $240 right now (here in Europe at least).
I use an Ecler mixer too, and i think it sounds really good. I also worked for a company that rented out dj-gear a while back, and they also had Ecler's. In the year or so I worked there, none of them broke down. Maybe we got lucky.
I think the difference in soundquality between an Ecler and Rane is very small. I've heard nothing but good things about ~Rane though, so if you can afford it, go cop one.