Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By trh Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:37 am
man, i'm having the hardest time just getting STARTED w/ this used MPC i just got.

okay, i currently don't have anything i'm using to sample from right now (don't have the right jacks yet)... so the only disk i got is this hip hop sounds disk.

i try to load sounds from the disk... but can't because the screen says it has 0k free sound memory and only 596 seq memory. why do i have no memory available??? it doesn't even look/sound like anything is loaded.

By DeckMusicJD$ Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:25 am
strange, i dont know whats wrong. You probably know this already but everytime you turn on your MPC you should have free memory because nothing gets saved after you turn it off. Try turning it on without the disk inserted. Then once its turned on put the disk in. then go into the load screen and see if any sounds are on the disc, and see how much memory is free for both samples and sequences. My MPC only has 2 mb memory (lowest you can get), and there is a lot more than 596 sequence memory everytime i boot up. Or try to reload the MPC operating system.

Maybe all the memory isnt installed correctly. i would also bring it back to the store where you got it used, or contact the seller that you bought it from and tell him its not working.

By BreakMyFever Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:19 am
I had a similar problem. I bought an MPC2000xl with 32MB, but once I started to sample sounds myself, I discovered the extra memory expansion wasn't installed at all (turn on the MPC, go to 'Sample' (shift 4) and press the orange 'open Window' button, and it will display how much memory is installed). Luckily, the music shop were I bought my MPC has an excellent customer service, so they didn't make any problems and just installed the missing memory (2 weeks after I bought the MPC).

By mpc3000 Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:47 pm
I have seen this when bad (or incompatible) memory has been installed. The MPC sort of detects that 32Meg are installed so it automatically disables the stock 2 meg but is unable to access the expanded memory.

Remove the memory chips and check again.