Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By myman Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:44 am
I just now started using my MPC as a controler so Im new to midi.
I've got a sequence going with
Track 1 Drums
Track 2 Midi 1A-Device01.
Then I set Track 3 to Midi 2A-Device02 and its the same cheesy organ all the way thru to 16B-Device32.
Can anyone help me change the voice for the different midi channels?

By Dr.Foo Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:00 pm
yeah, the sound module (or whatever you got midied to the mpc) need to get a code to change the channel.

basically, you need to insert at the beginning of the sequence, on the second midi track (the one you want NOT playing the organ but say instead playing the flute) send a bank change and program select message. midi stuff is loaded into banks and subdivided into programs (or patches, same thing). By sending bank and Program change messages you are telling the midi device hooked up that on channel 2 (of the 16 total per midi cable) you want to change to the sound stored @ bank X , program Y.
Then the 1st channel will play the organ and the second the flute. and so on down.

insert these changes in step edit mode, as long as they are in the beginning of the sequnce its all good. midi transmits the program and bank messages b4 the note data, so its all good if its first.

you can even get funky and change programs and banks mid sequence, say 4 example the song breaks down @ bar 30 and the flute becomes a bass, simply insert the changes in step edit @ bar 30 and when it gets there it will switch the flute to bass automatically.

By myman Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:30 pm
Ok, let me see if I'm getting this? Changing the voice of the keyboard for the different midi track will actually be done on the MPC.
And I can do this by sending a bank change and a program select message from the MPC to the keyboard.
O.K. so now how exactly do I do this. I toggled to track 3 set it to Midi 2A-Device02 and hit [F1] for STEP and I got View:ALL EVENTS.
What do I do from here?
Thanks for the help good doctor.