Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By ess kode NZ Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:59 am
Sup to all my fellow producers,

Lately i've been pondering a big theory about the Akai MPC, concerning the outstanding groove pattern and "feel" that all professionals swear by. I'm gonna break it down and get right to the point here.
The groove pattern on an MPC can be exported as General MIDI, right? Ok, well say if someone was to send me every groove pattern in 4/4 16th note hits from 50 to 75 percent shuffle, {e.g 51%, 52%, 53% and so on} and I was to import this into a software sampler on my computer {Reason's Dr. REX for example} and replace these patterns {after editing but keeping the original groove} with samples as good as or near to the quality of the MPC's such as hats, kicks and snares, would I not have an Akai MPC feel and groove right there without having to actually buy one? I realise that doing this would be very impractical and time consuming, {not to mention bad for my health as I would most likely develop RSI from overuse of the mouse} but is this really all an MPC is? Just a groove pattern?
Just a theory.....
cheers
ess.

Bysilkysmell Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:50 am
tried that. its not the same. software sequencers are just to sloppy. the MPCs timing is just locked, on point, always!
btw did it with Logic Audio maybe reason is more stable....

By dubmunkey Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:55 am
silky is right, its the fact that the mpc relies on its own internal sequncing clock which is not as loose as midi as its not serial....

greg

By ess kode NZ Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:46 am
dubmunkey wrote:silky is right, its the fact that the mpc relies on its own internal sequncing clock which is not as loose as midi as its not serial....

greg

tru? u reckon? how do you mean sloppy, as in the samples are not exactly on point, or the bandwidth of Reason is too slow to express the full MPC feel?
I realise the internal sync clock of the MPC is different to that of a software based generator, but if its midi doesnt that mean just a signal?
thanks 4 the feedback
ess.

By dubmunkey Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:04 am
its a problem inherant in the serial nature of midi, meaning midi can only do one thing at a time...so if you stack four hits to play at exactly the same time they wont they will play one after the other, even though the gaps are millisecs...

what this means is trying to emulate the subtle nuances of the mpc needs something as solid (ie doesn't rely on midi) to be able to capture the 'feel' properly- also it depends on how tight midi is implemented within the software you are using-

reason is tight enough for a lot of uses, but just isn't as tight as the mpc- you need to ask your self if you think you need this tightness...id dump reason anyway buts thats just me..

greg

By ess kode NZ Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:48 am
dubmunkey wrote:reason is tight enough for a lot of uses, but just isn't as tight as the mpc- you need to ask your self if you think you need this tightness...id dump reason anyway buts thats just me..

greg

I think i need this tightness.... churr, decision made

ess.

By dubmunkey Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:36 am
many pros swear by it, although a lot are turning to non-midi and just doing audio- but if you want to be able have things play where you put them and also be able to stack sounds and have them play together. my mate when he got his mpc was a bit surprised by the tightness- in that he hammered in a quantized beat and it was 'too' on the beat- where he was used to other midi sequencers which are serial...

the only prog ive used which i thought had a nice swing was fruityloops but its not a tight program

greg

By elmacaco Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:59 pm
just turn quantize off for that effect.