Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By itchyvinyl Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:07 pm
Every once in a while I pick up the manual and poke around, because there's little functions that I forget about, or that I didn't have a use for in the past - but I might now.........or that I'm just plain sleeping on.

Thought it would be cool for peoples to post functions they use that are easy to overlook in the manual.

One function that I missed for a while is.....
When you're naming a sample, program, or whatever........the FULL LEVEL button will switch you between upper and lower case letters.
And, to enter a *space* or delete letters to the right, just press the 16 LEVELS button.

Another that I like, but nobody talks about, and I've never seen anybody use........
That little electronic metronome click sound while you're recording a sequence.....sometimes it's too quiet, especially when your samples are loud, or if you're using no quantize and you REALLY need to hear the click...
You can change the metronome click to any sound/sample you have loaded.
Highlight "Count:" in the main screen, press OPEN WINDOW, then hit the F-Key that says "SOUND." There you can assign any loud sample you want as your click.

This is basic shtt, but for some reason, at the beginning, I overlooked it.
Probably because they are not absolutely necessary when making beats......but they make life easier.

Any others?

???

By Phiba Optix Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:34 pm
Ohh I didn't know you could do that metronome thing. It doesn't work on the classic 2000 tho which sucks for me, cuz I think the metronome sound is annoying as ****, I'd love to change mine.

By po-v Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:35 pm
when triming a sample instead of using the jog wheel hold shift and use the note variation slider it's a lot quicker

By JUKE 179r Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:14 am
^^^ I do this also. I got this tip from someone else on the forum. Helped out alot trimming samples. Good info po-v!

By maxlifo Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:15 am
Only had my MPC a month so not much to add I'm afraid but...

I hold down shift and left or right cursor to change the amount the jog wheel moves when trimming, also speeds things up nicely. No idea if that's in the manual, but will try with the slider tonight!

As for the Metronome sound, I knew you can do that, but would it be possible to store those sounds and have em load up upon boot (I'd use the ones from cubase probably)? Would you have to have the flash rom installed, or would it be best to load em up to a set bank every time you make a track. Hassle but cheaper I guess.

Thanks.
Last edited by maxlifo on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Van Glorious Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:36 am
That slider thing doesn't want to work on my machine for some reason. When I try it switches back to the slider option screen.

By mrcrappypantson Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:11 pm
Shift+Jog Wheel turn = contrast adjust from any screen.

By Paul R Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:22 am
maxlifo wrote:I hold down shift and left or right cursor to change the amount the jog wheel moves when trimming, also speeds things up nicely.

yeah i prefer this way cos when i use the note variation slider i forget to push it back up when switching to the end point, so i mess up the start point again

nice one on those FULL LEVEL & 16 LEVELS itchyvinyl i didn't know that

By lank Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:59 am
Paul R wrote:
maxlifo wrote:nice one on those FULL LEVEL & 16 LEVELS itchyvinyl i didn't know that

hehe, it's printed plain as day right under the buttons. how has anyone gone without this? :D that shift/cursor/wheel tip is nice though, i didn't know that one. wish i did when i had my MPC.

here's one...

take advantage of the velocity>sample start function. it's not always useful, but can be used for some interesting effects. for example - by lowering the vel>level amount and using note re-trigger the sample will play back starting at different points in the sample. fun for chopping breaks or vocal samples on the fly. also good for trying to emulate the way analog synths and drum machines never sound exactly the same each time they're triggered. can also be used along with vel>filter freq for good effects. works the same when being triggered by a sequence of notes at different velocities, and these can be edited. it's an interesting way to cut a breakbeat using just the full sample by re-triggering it at a different velocity. this isn't very precise on long samples and may be more hassle than it's worth(?).

By Paul R Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:21 am
lank wrote:
Paul R wrote:
maxlifo wrote:nice one on those FULL LEVEL & 16 LEVELS itchyvinyl i didn't know that

hehe, it's printed plain as day right under the buttons. how has anyone gone without this? :D

what's worse is i remember searching the whole buttons looking for those functions :D

By ripple Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:04 am
Van Glorious wrote:That slider thing doesn't want to work on my machine for some reason. When I try it switches back to the slider option screen.

Same here

By maxlifo Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:32 am
Originally posted by maxlifo:
nice one on those FULL LEVEL & 16 LEVELS itchyvinyl i didn't know that

I didn't post that! Wonder why it said I did.

Anyway :?

By mpc3000 Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:44 pm
"...unnoticed"

Yep, if it's in the manual it is sure to be unnoticed.

By Emakulate Conception Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:55 pm
And, to enter a *space* or delete letters to the right, just press the 16 LEVELS button.

Well god damn. I was wondering how to delete the automatic names faster. Actually, I don't remember reading that in the MPC2000 manual. If it's in there, it's prolly in a part I skimmed over cuz I thought I knew it.

Shift+Jog Wheel turn = contrast adjust from any screen.

well, well, well, didn't know that either. Guess I oughta get that manual back out huh???

By itchyvinyl Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:25 pm
You can set your empty sequences to default at whatever tempo you want - not just 120 bpm.

Main Screen
Press EDIT on F keys.
Press USER on F keys

There you go.....set your default tempo, time sig, number of bars.

I know, this thread is probably more for the newer people.....or the manual-impaired.
But, hey some of these things can slip by in the beginning, even for manual lovers.