Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000

By mrnymms Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:03 pm
co-sign on the sticky

By Jacpot Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:14 pm
co-sign on the sticky
By jimisteele Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:10 am
dont know if this has been posted already: When naming samples instead of using the jog wheel press the pads pad 1 ab press it twice to get b. pad 2 cd etc. i did not realise this for so long!!

By tusk Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:23 am
i stupidly spent a couple of months entering letters correctly, but used the jog wheel for numbers instead of the keypad!

By tusk Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:05 pm
Heres one it do thats not mpc really?? When sampling from vinyl a long melody to chop - say piano solo - i find it impossible to visually decide how many zones i wanna chop to.
When playing back on the mpc its quite hard to be listening hard and counting the zones at the same time. You can tune down so samples slower to count

BUT... i find it easier to count the spaces from the vinyl, using my finger to stop the record at each chop section and count the zones.

Just something i do, maybe ya'll can count n listen at the same time tho!!
By pali.g Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:50 pm
good trick guys - i been workin much more efficiently since reading this.

here goes another one. If you have sample loop and you can´t exactly make up your mind at which Bpm value it should run, use the click for orientation.
"Step edit" the sample to 01.01.001, then "open window" the count field and chose "In play:YES" then you hear the click in Play mode. Now chose something like 1/8 or 1/4 (3) in the opened count field and you´ll hear a fast playing clíck.
Go back to the main screen and play around with the tempo while your sample is playing. This way you can hear the swing your drums and especially your hihats are going to produce afterwards. hope that helps anybody. p
By rust mcdowellll Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:27 am
pali.g wrote:good trick guys - i been workin much more efficiently since reading this.

here goes another one. If you have sample loop and you can´t exactly make up your mind at which Bpm value it should run, use the click for orientation.
"Step edit" the sample to 01.01.001, then "open window" the count field and chose "In play:YES" then you hear the click in Play mode. Now chose something like 1/8 or 1/4 (3) in the opened count field and you´ll hear a fast playing clíck.
Go back to the main screen and play around with the tempo while your sample is playing. This way you can hear the swing your drums and especially your hihats are going to produce afterwards. hope that helps anybody. p

Just go to the param screen in trim mode after you make your loop. Put in the # of beats and it will automatically tell you the bpm. 4 beats per bar.
By pali.g Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:29 pm
Just go to the param screen in trim mode after you make your loop. Put in the # of beats and it will automatically tell you the bpm. 4 beats per bar.[/quote]

man, i always wondered what that parameter thing was good for. thanx
but, after that you might still not be happy. if that happens, do what I said. it really helps me to figure out how my drums will come out.

By episode Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:37 am
If you listen to your melodies from step edit "backwards," you'll get pretty cool variations to the original tune. I've actually kept the new melodies, cause I thought they sounded better the way they were arranged.

By descartes Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:47 am
velocity switching is not a hidden feature, but is one that is chronically underused...

By a_real_mc Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:21 pm
Don't know if this was metioned...I don't, but some people I know have an issue with determining what timing to record on. Here is a tip to help people who can't figure the timing out.

You can change the timing after recording. If you did a sequence with the timing on 1/16 (or any of the other timing settings), and your drums sounded a little bit too late/early, but not exact, then highlight timing. After you have hilighted timing, push open window. It should show a screen that allows you to change timing or swing for your beat. If it is on 1/16, and you change it to 1/16 (3), and push do it, it will change the entire timing of your beat. This will help you determine which timing is right for that beat...

By mrcrappypantson Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:41 pm
This one works for all beats. MORE COWBELL!
By JUKE 179r Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:32 pm
BUMP!
By SILIS101 Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:37 pm
I've had my 2000XL for what seems a hundred years . I use the Ren now, and still use the XL for every beat I make. Don't call me a douchbag but I've made it a habit to sample into the XL and use the Filter and Tune for the sample, then resample into the Ren. I really like the Filter in the XL and how easy it is to get the right amount mud in your sample. I use the EB16 Fx as well in one way or another often.

If I need to timestretch, I stretch it in the Ren and resample into the XL for Filter and tuning.

I will chop in the Ren. Then sample my final chops into the XL for Filter and tuning.

I have become efficient in this workflow and get the sound I need so much quicker. I was tired of finding VSTs to recreate a sound of the XL Filter.

In the end, it's all about the sound and how you get to it. I know what I want and this is how I get it. To all you who transitioned to the Ren or Whatever, Get your XL or your old hardware back out and put it back into your workflow. Use the filters you love and the fx that you know how to manipulate.