Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Elroy Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:16 am
Hello 1 and all,

Start up floppy disk for my 2000 is on the 'disk read error' tip. Desperately need one to get back to making beats. Tried everywhere from Cimple Solutions to Akaipro themselves but to no avail.

Tried downloading from Akai but it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know where you can purchase a couple of MPC 2000 start up floppy disks?

Thanks in advance,

E.
By kraster Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:59 am
Elroy wrote:Hello 1 and all,

Start up floppy disk for my 2000 is on the 'disk read error' tip. Desperately need one to get back to making beats. Tried everywhere from Cimple Solutions to Akaipro themselves but to no avail.

Tried downloading from Akai but it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know where you can purchase a couple of MPC 2000 start up floppy disks?

Thanks in advance,

E.

Downloading the OS and copying the unzipped contents to a formatted blank floppy should do the trick. If that's not the case and you keep getting read errors there could be something up with your floppy drive. The good news is that a replacement drive is cheap and a relatively simple operation. Most standard PC floppy drives will do the job.

If your floppy is gone maybe now is the time to get a Zip drive or hard drive. Search these forums for plenty of ideas on the subject.

By pt3r Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:02 pm
you can download the latest os here :
http://www.forat.com/Downloads/2_mpc2kv172.zip

Make sure to use a new floppy, if that still doesn't work then you might have a broke floppy drive.

By Elroy Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:31 pm
Thanks guys I have an iomega zip drive which I use when saving my music, more memory as you know.

But you still need a floppy disk to power up the MPC 2000, don't you?

If that isn't the case how do I go about getting my 2000 to be switched on via my zip drive. Would I have to purchase a start up zip disk?

Regards,

E.

By pt3r Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:59 pm
No AFAIKyou can keep the os on your zip disk and boot from the zip disk. Perhaps one of the classic users should confirm/deny my statement.

By kraster Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:42 pm
pt3r wrote:No AFAIKyou can keep the os on your zip disk and boot from the zip disk. Perhaps one of the classic users should confirm/deny my statement.

I can confirm this statement. Just copy the files MPC 2000.exe and MPC 2000.sys (they are in the Zip file from the link posted above) to your Zip Drive and it will boot up just fine. I usually copy these files to every Zip disk I use so the MPC will boot up whatever disk is in the drive. The OS files are only about 350k so you won't lose much space.

A good idea is to buy a USB Zip drive (if you don't have one already) for your PC (if you have one). I use the PC to edit samples with soundforge, make programs with the MPC editor and copy/move files because it's much quicker on the PC. You can get a USB Zip from Ebay for about $20 dollars or less from ebay.

By Elroy Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:04 pm
Thanks guys,

I don't have a PC only my MPC 2000. I did use a used floppy disk when I downloaded from Akaipro. I'll buy me some brand new floppy and try again.

Regards,

E.