Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By lethal5 Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:15 am
Are they the same?

I have an MPC2000, and I wanna to a Bulk Dump from my Roland keyboard. I see a section in the manual talking about Sample Dumps, is it the same as a Midi Bulk Dump?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

By pt3r Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:25 am
No not completely. The sysex dump will transfer all settings of a synth as a stream of data that can be recorded in a midi file via your mpc's sequencer. Whereas a sample dump is a way of transfer sample data from one machine to another (given they're both sample dump compatible) over a midi connection.

By lethal5 Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:18 pm
pt3r wrote:No not completely. The sysex dump will transfer all settings of a synth as a stream of data that can be recorded in a midi file via your mpc's sequencer. Whereas a sample dump is a way of transfer sample data from one machine to another (given they're both sample dump compatible) over a midi connection.

So to re-iterate my question, how do you do a sysex dump to the mpc2000?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

By lethal5 Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:27 pm
pt3r wrote:No not completely. The sysex dump will transfer all settings of a synth as a stream of data that can be recorded in a midi file via your mpc's sequencer. Whereas a sample dump is a way of transfer sample data from one machine to another (given they're both sample dump compatible) over a midi connection.

Actually you might have answered my question. So it would be as simple as, when I Bulk Dump to the mpc2000, just record it to an mpc track and then save the dump as a midi file?

Actually can the Bulk Dump be saved as part of your .all file, or do you specifically have to save it as a midi file?

THANKS

By bluempc4k Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:58 am
lethal5 wrote:

So it would be as simple as, when I Bulk Dump to the mpc2000, just record it to an mpc track and then save the dump as a midi file?

yes it's that simple. it's kind of wierd/confusing the first time... because, the mpc doesn't know that it's recieving a bulk dump, or doing anything special. you just run the sequencer like if you're recording a jam session on the pads, or from your keyboard.

just make sure you set the mpc to recieve on the info on the correct channel. -your roland manual will tell you what channel it uses for bulk dumps.

also, make sure that the sequencer is actually recording before you hit the button on the roland. -also disable loop recording, or add the maximum amount of bars possible. if the dump is super huge, lower the tempo on the mpc if you have to.

the way i used to to was like this...

select the channel on the mpc to recieve on

select the maximum amount of bars for the sequence.

play/record, and let it go for one bar.

activate the bulk dump procedure on synth.

save the sequence.

if you want, you can cut off the unused measures at the end of the sequence.

it's been years since i've used an mpc2k... so i don't really remember exactly what i used to do, but those where the basic steps i took.

Actually can the Bulk Dump be saved as part of your .all file, or do you specifically have to save it as a midi file?

THANKS

i don't remember, but i always saved the sequence, and left it at that.

i guess you can save it as an .all file, but you only use one track on one sequence to record the dump...

good luck