Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By hageir Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:57 pm
Howdy, just bought a busted 2000 (thinking it doable but then found out the schematics don't exist online).

The panel board seems to be missing the reset line from the main CPU board. That's my assumption so far.

There's a myriad of other failures that need further investigation. I've made some progress based on old experience.

I've been looking at the 2000XL schematic. But the original 2000 Classic would most definitely make things easier...

Does anybody have a copy?

Cheers from Iceland.

-Geir
By jzurd0 Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:44 am
Do not waste your time with it. Mpc2000 service manual floating around is "mutilated" and full service manual is nowhere available, even paying for it.
Mainboard is not reliable at all. I suggest you to catch up one working unit or a working mainboard (from a trusted tech).
Having serviced several synths and samplers, I'd put this one with the Ensoniqs in terms of servicing. The sound very good but are a PITA once they fail, full of bugs and so on.
By hageir Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:09 pm
jzurd0 wrote:Do not waste your time with it. Mpc2000 service manual floating around is "mutilated" and full service manual is nowhere available, even paying for it.
Mainboard is not reliable at all. I suggest you to catch up one working unit or a working mainboard (from a trusted tech).
Having serviced several synths and samplers, I'd put this one with the Ensoniqs in terms of servicing. The sound very good but are a PITA once they fail, full of bugs and so on.

Thanks for the reply. I used the S2000 service manual and the 2000XL one as a "crutch" through the repair.

Managed to fix the MPC 2000, it was a myriad of things. The last thing I found was a open fusible link on the converter board which made the MPC freeze up when entering Sampling mode ;)
By jzurd0 Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:06 pm
Congrats on your success!

I have two faulty mainboards on my basement:

- One is "almost" booting, once it starts loading the OS it stops on sector 8. It was booting -sometimes- but messing around the CPU oscillator I was not able to boot it again; nevertheless sampling was not working at all before.

- The other one is only giving me blank display, even changed the boot eprom, no success. I believe it has to do with the display data lines as it seems the system performs some check routine before booting and display it is mandatory for the machine to actually start booting.

I, unfortunately, have no time to troubleshoot them in depth so just waiting to catch one working online, but prices are outrageous these days, no way I will pay 600€ for a unit...

You found a S2000 service manual? , I never saw it before, did you pay for it?.

Cheers