Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Breaka Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:07 am
Why in the world did they make the filenames of everything on this CD longer than 8 characters ?

WTF !!
Makes no sense to ship this w/ an MPC. :evil: :x

By Prah_860_ Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:55 am
sorry to hear you are having problems with it...mines works fine in my MPC!

yo

By FromthePantoL.A. Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:09 am
"Makes no sense to ship this w/ an MPC"

I didnt even get one with mine...
Can anyone tell me if it's got decent sounds and if it does , where can I get it without having to pay for it?
I dont mean that in any illegal way.
Does akai have it posted somewhere?
Any help or info is appreciated.
Thanks.

By Prah_860_ Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:22 am
honestly...the cd just makes the MPC into a average drum machine.....some good sounds...some you will never use and some that will come in handy in the future.....as for getting it i am not sure homie!

ok

By FromthePantoL.A. Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:33 am
I am searching the forums now but could you possibly tell me a few cd drives that I can use with the mpc?
I dont have one now and I think I would like to get one.
Any links?
Or , any suggestions?
Thanks prah.

yo

By FromthePantoL.A. Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:38 am
I saw three recommended by tutor but that's all..
any others that anyone knows of?

By Prah_860_ Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:48 am
i would say it would be any one with scsi.....no usb ports....usb to scsi will not work on the mpc 2000/xl........i have an MAC external one made by a company named FWB...and it works fine....it has a big @$$ scsi port in the back like centron style.......so scsi would be where it'z at homie!

yo

By FromthePantoL.A. Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:29 am
I know about the scsi thing but what I dont know is what company or companies and about how much should it run me..
can you give me the model number of the you have or one that you know works so I can check it out?
thanks..
By dj dcypher Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:58 pm
FromthePantoL.A. wrote:I know about the scsi thing but what I dont know is what company or companies and about how much should it run me..
can you give me the model number of the you have or one that you know works so I can check it out?
thanks..

Go ebay, search for SCSI CD ROM drive, they should all work. I got mine for $15 on ebay and it's worked perfectly.
By vinyl_junkie_1620 Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:41 pm
Unearthing a old thread woot woot

But can any one explain to me why this CD is able to correctly load via SCSI on a MPC but if I was to transfer the files via a computer to say a zip disk the 8 character limit applies?

Is there no way to format a zip so the MPC reads the file names correctly?
Does it need to be vfat formatted or something?
By vinyl_junkie_1620 Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:45 pm
Ok think I've found my answer ;)

"Disk Formats
The MPC uses a old and custom modified version of DOS FAT format. As a result, compatibility with a computer is very confusing. The documentation here is complete and should set you straight.

The first thing to understand is that the MPC allows 16 character names with a 3 character extension, but writes these names to the disk in a incompatible fashion. The original FAT disk format was limited to 8.3 convention (8 character names), and when it was upgraded to "long file names", it did it in such a way to assure backward compatibility with the old format. Akai's method is completely incompatible, so if you write a >8 character name, and put the disk into a computer, you'll see the truncated NAME~1.SND type of naming.

For this reason, it is not recommended at all to read or write MPC disks on a computer. Use Translator, it completely reads and write names accurately.

The other confusing thing is that Akai used a partitioning method for disks taht was also completely incompatible with a computer. For example, when you format a ZipDisk with a computer, it gives you many choices of partition size and how many partitions it will create. NONE of these partitions, except for the first one, will show on a computer. (Of course, you should know by now that it is not recommended to view your MPC disks on a computer at all.) Again, Translator supports these partitions fully.

The last twist regarding partitioning is that the last MPC-2000XL OS version, 1.20, can read and write the old partitioning, but does not format it. Instead, it writes a compatible FAT disk format. Interestingly, it still writes the partition information but does not use it. This was done to support larger Compact Flash cards for the newer MPC2000MCD. HOWEVER, the same naming limititations exist! So much for full computer compatibility. Grrr... Again, Translator fully supports all formats and methods of reading and writing."
By Lampdog Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:35 pm
This is the EXACT reason why we've for years have been telling peeps IF they format on computer your stuck 8 character filenames. IF you format in MPC then you can take advantage of all 16 characters BUT the second you place that same media in a computer the last 8 characters will be truncated to what, 8, lol. And it will mess up your PGM reading. PGM only remembers the last saved names. The format thing is a wicked one if not understood correctly. I have formatted floppies, zips and cf's all on computer and forever have stayed with folders and 8 character filenames and have never had a problem. I understood it from day one. I even use the same cf on trition extreme and mpc2kxl without problems at all. Of course highly organized folders help me tremendously.