Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By burns luciano Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:47 am
whats up i got a mpc2000. i picked up a cd rom drive for it so i can load my sound cds. but it only works with the cds that came with the cd rom dosent work with my other sound cds. i also noticed that the cds that came with the cdrom dont open on pc or mac. is there a reason the cd rom dont read my other cds there pro sessions cds.

By MPCSS Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:56 pm
whats up i got a mpc2000. i picked up a cd rom drive for it so i can load my sound cds. but it only works with the cds that came with the cd rom dosent work with my other sound cds. i also noticed that the cds that came with the cdrom dont open on pc or mac. is there a reason the cd rom dont read my other cds there pro sessions cds.

You have 2 hurdles ahead of you.

1. You must find a SCSI cd-rom drive that the MPC2000 will recognize. Not all CD-ROM drives will work. I am going to assume that your CD-ROM is recognized by the MPC2000.

2. Once you get a recognizable CD-ROM Drive, you must use CDs that are Akai-formatted. For an MPC2000, any cd will NOT work. A burned CD using your computer will not work. When you try to acces the CD, the format of the CD will not be recognized. The TYPE will show as "???????".
Sure you will burn your .wav files (stores in your computer), to the CD. But the cd format will not be correct.

If you wish to burn your own cds that will read on an MPC2000, additional computer hardware and software will be required. There is a program called 'disk2file' that will help you Akai-format your CDs. Do a search on the internet for more information on this program and the procedure. And the additional hardware is maybe using a hard drive that will have all your files, from which you will copy a mirror-image to your CD. It is a bit involved so if you are still interested in adding a CD-ROM Drive to your MPC2000 setup, take the time to learn more about this program and formatting your CDs.

Hope this info helps.

By badsign Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:02 pm
I was just reading the mpc2000xl tutorial which you can buy through this site. One thing it mentioned is that if you burn a CD of wav files on your computer, make sure that the format you choose is ISO 9660. By default, most common cd burning tools burn to Joliet format, which apparently works for the 2000xl, but not the 2000. So, go into the burning software's properties menu and make sure you're burning discs as ISO 9660. And go buy the tutorial if you can afford it. It's pretty good.

By burns luciano Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:00 pm
thanx alot for the info i appreciate the help im gonna try what u sed and see what i get.

By MPCSS Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:21 am
I was just reading the mpc2000xl tutorial which you can buy through this site. One thing it mentioned is that if you burn a CD of wav files on your computer, make sure that the format you choose is ISO 9660. By default, most common cd burning tools burn to Joliet format, which apparently works for the 2000xl, but not the 2000. So, go into the burning software's properties menu and make sure you're burning discs as ISO 9660. And go buy the tutorial if you can afford it. It's pretty good.

Yes. What you say is correct. A burned and ISO 9660 formatted CD from a computer will only work on an MPC2000XL. The MPC2000 is a different story. The ISO 9660 format will not be recognized by the MPC2000 and you will only see TYPE= question marks.

Simply do a web search on -disk2file- and click on the zicweb link. When you are there, go down to -Where to get help-, and then click on -here-. This will take you to the Disk2file User's Manual. Go to -A Small History- section, where much specific detail is explained.

Take a look and see if it makes sense.

Please correct me so that my information is straight.
By Lampdog Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:05 am
Read the directions that were given by badsign and try it out, you have windows and a 2kxl.

LMAO

Then -> Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:21 pm
Now -> Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:11 pm
By MPCDROM Wed May 17, 2017 2:33 am
If you are wanting to create you own CD-ROM's it is much easier than many think, I discovered a pretty cool method on how its done. In 1999 I purchased my first MPC 2000 from Guitar Center and a SCSI CD-ROM Drive, a friend gave me the MPC 2000 Production Tools CD and it blew me away. For years I tried to make a CD ROM similar but failed big time!!! Don't listen to anyone telling you that you need Roxio Toast or any of those other burners.....they do not burn Akai format. First get all of your samples or Kits organized, I make Kits using only the A bank and 16 pads, I did this to save on sample memory but you can do all 4 banks A-D and 64 pads if you wish. Send me a DM and I will give you all the steps needed and the hard and software you must have.

https://www.facebook.com/JElliottNess/v ... 768525935/
By JUKE 179r Wed May 17, 2017 4:03 am
Anybody got a link to the MPC 2000 Production Tools CD? I'd like to have this. Thanks!
By MPCDROM Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:39 am
There is only one way to properly create an MPC 2000 CD ROM a lot of the information that I am seeing on here is for creating CD-ROMs for the MPC 2000 XL which is a completely different format.

For starters, you will need a very old computer running windows 98. You will also need some very old software to assist you in burning the cd ROM image. I am going to make a video tutorial on how to properly make an MPC 2000 CD ROM I will post it on YouTube step by step.

After burning your CD ROM when you loaded up into your MPC 2000 scuzzy CD ROM drive it will show up as a MPC 2000 cd ROM on your screen just like the MPC 2000 Production Tools CD

This is probably why there will never that mini MPC 2000 cd ROMs, because only a handful of people knew how to properly create them, and they charged you an arm and a leg for the CD ROMs I just saw one go for $299 bucks on eBay but I think it had 75 people watching it so there is definitely a market wide open for MPC 2000 formatted CD ROMs
By MPCDROM Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:09 am
MPCDROM wrote:There is only one way to properly create an MPC 2000 CD ROM a lot of the information that I am seeing on here is for creating CD-ROMs for the MPC 2000 XL which is a completely different format.

For starters, you will need a very old computer running windows 98. You will also need some very old software to assist you in burning the CD ROM image. I am going to make a video tutorial on how to properly make an MPC 2000 CD ROM I will post it on YouTube step by step.

After burning your CD ROM when you loaded up into your MPC 2000 SCSI CD ROM drive it will show up as a MPC 2000 CD ROM on your MPC screen just like the $99 MPC 2000 Production Tools CD.

This CD will also be compatible with many other MPC drum machines, such as the MPC 2000 XL the MPC 4000 and possibly the MPC 3000 i’ll have to check, my MPC 60 lI has always had issues reading CD ROMs so I’m not sure if it’s a compatibility issue.

This is probably why there will never that many MPC 2000 CD ROMs, because only a handful of people knew how to properly create them back in the day and they charged you an arm and a leg for the CD ROMs, I just saw one go for $299 bucks on eBay and I think it had like 75 people watching it so there is definitely a market wide open for MPC 2000 formatted CD ROMs
By richie Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:29 am
MPCDROM wrote:For starters, you will need a very old computer running windows 98. You will also need some very old software to assist you in burning the cd ROM image. I am going to make a video tutorial on how to properly make an MPC 2000 CD ROM I will post it on YouTube step by step.

You don't actually need windows 98 to do it anymore.

Translator can do this and export to image file, write image file to CD-ROM, the 2000 and other S series samplers will read it fine.