Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Beatdiggerjazzcat Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:08 pm
MPCHunter wrote:
Beatdiggerjazzcat wrote:Unfortunately the red line is not always a sure way of knowing its safe, you can't always be sure cable connectors are on the same way around on each end.

Yes, but most ribbon connectors have a polarization key for orientation. They only fit into the motherboard socket one way. The red line is a quick check to see if the cable is flipped.

Beatdiggerjazzcat wrote:If it was reversed you normally blow more than a few protect fuses.

This mistake cooks several areas on the audio line.

Sometimes but not always. More issues can be caused by plugging the 8-output board into the floppy connector rather than reversing the 8-output cable.

I have seen cables without lines and cables with the lines the wrong way around (you never know who has been playing with things)

Also... In the 4 cases I have had mpcs sent to me after a reversed cable orientation, there has been more than a few blown fuses
By Kid.Berry Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:14 pm
I noticed the red stripes and the nosh on the board

on the Mutec ADO I stands "for S2000" on the Mutec ADO II "for S2000 and MPC2000" ... I think it is up to the board...
By Clutch_The_BeatMaker Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:09 pm
I Just bought a MPC 2000XL with a output expansion but where the SPIDF RCA connection should be there are 1/4 inch inputs. Are those analog or do you have to use a 1/4 to rca connector for it and use it as a digital SPDIF connection?
By SimonInAustralia Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:28 pm
Clutch_The_BeatMaker wrote:I Just bought a MPC 2000XL with a output expansion but where the SPIDF RCA connection should be there are 1/4 inch inputs. Are those analog or do you have to use a 1/4 to rca connector for it and use it as a digital SPDIF connection?

That is a Mutec output option board, rather than an Akai output option board.

The 1/4" outputs send out AES/EBU digital signals, like a professional balanced version of SPDIF, it is a similar signal to SPDIF except that it is balanced and a higher level.

To do it properly, you would use an AES/EBU to SPDIF converter, but depending on the equipment you are sending the signal into, you might be able to use a simple 1/4 to RCA adapter.
By Clutch_The_BeatMaker Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:59 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
Clutch_The_BeatMaker wrote:I Just bought a MPC 2000XL with a output expansion but where the SPIDF RCA connection should be there are 1/4 inch inputs. Are those analog or do you have to use a 1/4 to rca connector for it and use it as a digital SPDIF connection?

That is a Mutec output option board, rather than an Akai output option board.

The 1/4" outputs send out AES/EBU digital signals, like a professional balanced version of SPDIF, it is a similar signal to SPDIF except that it is balanced and a higher level.

To do it properly, you would use an AES/EBU to SPDIF converter, but depending on the equipment you are sending the signal into, you might be able to use a simple 1/4 to RCA adapter.

Thanks for the response! I'm really digging the 2000XL. I'm using the UA Apollo Duo Interface so I should be able to just use a 1/4 adapter on the MPC end of the spdif cable. I'm gonna try it tonight.
By sorinp Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:28 pm
Hi all, thank you to the members who posted their photos and detailed info regarding the installation / modification of the mounting plate. It was very helpful, in fact I just completed the procedure today by following them. I would like to also add some of my own images to the thread and I hope they will further help someone along.

At the very end of the process (second to last photo), as mentioned in earlier posts, the ribbon cable that comes with the IB208P board (taken from the S2000 sampler) is too short to reach the circuit board. I took the ribbon cable from the floppy drive (again from the S2000) and used it here without any problem... it's a simple floppy drive ribbon connector worth a few dollars, very easy to find. I followed the exact procedure from a previous post, which showed how to gently detach the end of the ribbon cable from the little pointy triangles, how to insert the new cable by pressing gently but firmly on it with a small object with a blunt sort of tip (I did not use a key, I used a small flat screwdriver) until the pointy triangles pierce through the thin membrane. Then you can put back the black top part of the socket (my last image below).

I hope somebody will find this useful, cheers!

So just to be clear, I bought an S2000 sampler and took out the mounting plate, the IB208P board, the EB16 effects, the 32 MB memory chips and the ribbon cable of the floppy drive. BIG BONUS: I have that second floppy drive inside the S2000, should anything go wrong with my MPC 2000 floppy drive. What a great freakin donor LOL

By sorinp Fri May 08, 2015 7:47 pm
I absolutely need to clarify something: I made a mistake at the very end...

Instead of going to my normal technician :WTF: :WTF: :WTF: I went to the local electronics store and had the clerk perform the operation of connecting back the ribbon cable to the main board. Well he didn't do it correctly :WTF: :WTF: :WTF: He put it the wrong way, he didn't align the 1's or 2's or however it goes, there's a mark on the main board that indicates which way the ribbon cable is supposed to go (sorry for not being able to explain better, I'm not that technical, someone like Star One could explain it better I'm sure) but suffice it to say it was inverted. And so my troubles began (distortion / hum / noise / record meters stuck half way).

In the end Star One figured it out all out here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176998

Just don't want anybody to make the same mistake I made because I posted some pictures previously of how I did it. Everything was good except at the very end, some crucial bits of information were missing. Be careful to connect the ribbon cable back to the main board properly.
By prax0123 Mon May 18, 2015 9:16 pm
Yo.

I followed all the instructions above and encountered a slightly different problem. When I plug in the ribbon cable (from the akai S2000 floppy drive), put back on the bottom of my MPC 2000XL and turn it on - it freezes on "wait...."

I have connected it like this:

When I try unplugging the 8 output board, the MPC is working fine.

Any suggestions what is wrong?

Best
Chris
By sorinp Thu May 21, 2015 10:41 pm
Hi, where is the floppy drive? It is supposed to be bottom left of your picture. Seems you have a big empty hole there... If there is no media drive this might be the problem.
By prax0123 Fri May 22, 2015 7:01 am
I did the CF Card Reader extension, which is the black thing in the buttom right. The MPC is with the 1.20 OS