Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By sorinp Fri May 22, 2015 1:48 pm
Hmmm not sure about this... it seems to be the IB208P that's causing the issue since you say it works fine when you unplug it. Did you ever try the IB208P with a floppy drive?
By prax0123 Fri May 22, 2015 5:33 pm
Well I can of course try to put the 8 outputs back into the s2000. I ordered another cable and will try that - i read about a guy (somewhere in here) saying that his problem was fixed by trying another cable. But it seems to be an uncommon problem since no one has had the same problem as me.

Anyway. I'll let you know whats up when I've tried the new cable and tried it in the s2000.
By tradesman Fri May 22, 2015 5:47 pm
does anyone else think the 8 outs are shit sound quality to the stereo or headphone outs?
By sorinp Fri May 22, 2015 6:11 pm
@tradesman, I am pretty certain they are the same quality components. I think the ultimate test would be to record your beat through all three outputs (headphone outs, 8-outs and stereo outs) and compare. Do you find your 8-outs are of lesser quality? What do you find inferior exactly?
By richie Fri May 22, 2015 10:09 pm
I've seen it mentioned several times over the years from various producers that they some how believe the main outs on the 2000's sound better than the 8 outs but yet I have not seen a gear slutz "test" that could attest to it.

The thing that concerns me about recording multiple stems from the main out vs just doing it in one pass with the 8 outs is the timing may be off, due to midi jitter, etc.
By sorinp Tue May 26, 2015 5:39 pm
Yes I concur richie... I read an interview a while back with Timberland stating that he only records in stereo outs, he finds the sound is better... Something about the different frequencies mixing together (as opposed to separately)...
By prax0123 Fri May 29, 2015 8:16 am
sorinp wrote:Hmmm not sure about this... it seems to be the IB208P that's causing the issue since you say it works fine when you unplug it. Did you ever try the IB208P with a floppy drive?

So I tried with a completely new ribbon cable - didn't work. The 8 outputs work fine in the s2000.

I really don't know what can be wrong.

What I noticed is that the MPC once in a while switches from "wait...." to "detecting memory", which might suggest that something's wrong with my ram. But then why does it work, when the 8 outs aren't connected? I mean, there isn't any connection between the 8 outs and the rams, are there?

So the only thing I can see now is that I have to either 1. Go to a technician, 2. buy a completely new certified IB208P 8 output for 2Kxl from the mpc store.

Best
By Waldexxx Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:34 pm
prax0123 wrote:
sorinp wrote:Hmmm not sure about this... it seems to be the IB208P that's causing the issue since you say it works fine when you unplug it. Did you ever try the IB208P with a floppy drive?

So I tried with a completely new ribbon cable - didn't work. The 8 outputs work fine in the s2000.

I really don't know what can be wrong.

What I noticed is that the MPC once in a while switches from "wait...." to "detecting memory", which might suggest that something's wrong with my ram. But then why does it work, when the 8 outs aren't connected? I mean, there isn't any connection between the 8 outs and the rams, are there?

So the only thing I can see now is that I have to either 1. Go to a technician, 2. buy a completely new certified IB208P 8 output for 2Kxl from the mpc store.

Best

Had the same problem.
It worked after I checked the connection again. The cable has to be placed very flat. You have to see the metal contacts pushed through the flatcable. But be carefull with the board and the metal contacts!