Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By jibber Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:04 pm
I just got another S3000XL to "slaughter" so i can install the 8-outs into my 2nd 2000XL.

I noticed you can use the floppy cable from the S3000XL and it makes the whole process a lot easier. In the S3000XL, the floppy cable is connected to the motherboard in the same way as the cable that is connected to the IB208P board. This means you can simply "unplug" both cables (as shown in the pics on the previous page of this thread) and swap them. No hassle with pinching new holes into a floppy cable, since they are already there!

8)
By AoyamaJPN Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:43 am
I just received an 8-out board I purchased off ebay. I read this thread and then installed the board.

I cannot assign outs under INDIV and using the cursor. I can manually go OPEN WINDOW and assign them, but no sound is coming from them.

I assume my board is bad. It only plugs-in on way on my ribbon, and I looked to make sure I did it as according to the pictures in this thread.

Is there any other troubleshooting steps I can take?

Thanks!
By SimonInAustralia Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:55 am
AoyamaJPN wrote:I cannot assign outs under INDIV and using the cursor. I can manually go OPEN WINDOW and assign them, but no sound is coming from them.

You should be able to move the cursor up to the top row of the MIXER-INDIV screen, and then use the DATA wheel to change the individual output assignment for each pad.

That is how it works with mine, as well as through the CHANNEL SETTINGS window that you mention that you can use.

If you can't select the individual output pair with the DATA wheel in the top row of the MIXER-INDIV screen, it sounds like something isn't right.

Do you have the volume for the particular pad that you are trying to send to the individual outputs turned up in the MIXER-INDIV screen or CHANNEL SETTINGS window?

Maybe try a OS reflash, to the same version, or to one of the most recent couple of versions, if not already running one of them.
By AoyamaJPN Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:24 pm
funny thing, it turns out my cursor UP key is a bit sticky, but i was able to assign the outs from the OPEN WINDOW anyways. so, i CAN use the scroll up in the INDIV and select the out.

but, still no sound coming from the outs. i also tried the digital in connected to the digital out on my Fast Track Pro interface, when in sample mode DIGITAL, i get fluctuating levels from 0 or 100, no in-between, this happens the same with cables plugged in or not.

i'm loading up a previously made beat, turning the volume in the STEREO section up all the, made sure FULL LEVEL was on too, and assigning the sample to outs 1-8, switching wach time the cable. Again, no sound. Also tried playing the sequence and assigning different outs, still no sound.

is it usual to have a dead board? anything i'm missing?

oh, and, i hate ebay.

thanks,
By m56p87 Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:50 pm
AoyamaJPN wrote:funny thing, it turns out my cursor UP key is a bit sticky, but i was able to assign the outs from the OPEN WINDOW anyways. so, i CAN use the scroll up in the INDIV and select the out.

but, still no sound coming from the outs. i also tried the digital in connected to the digital out on my Fast Track Pro interface, when in sample mode DIGITAL, i get fluctuating levels from 0 or 100, no in-between, this happens the same with cables plugged in or not.

i'm loading up a previously made beat, turning the volume in the STEREO section up all the, made sure FULL LEVEL was on too, and assigning the sample to outs 1-8, switching wach time the cable. Again, no sound. Also tried playing the sequence and assigning different outs, still no sound.

is it usual to have a dead board? anything i'm missing?

oh, and, i hate ebay.

thanks,

A few questions that could help diagnose the problem.. Did you get the akai 8 outs board which has the orange capacitors? Or did you get the blue after market Mutec version? I remember reading from other users that the capability between the Mutec 8 out board and 2000XL's were touch and go.... If that is your setup. Otherwise I would start where Simon suggested and check all your connections, then finally if nothing else works start considering a faulty outboard.
By AoyamaJPN Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:56 am
the board i installed had the orange capacitors. i can't get any sound to come out of them. is there a fuse anywhere or anything i can check with a voltmeter? i just spent $100 for this thing... thanks
By KidProcrass Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:15 pm
Found a s3000xl for super cheap can't wait to do this mod and add the eb16. Just wanna thank everyone who contributed to this thread you guys are awesome. While im at it might replace my broken play and note repeat buttons. Any of you montreal guys out there have some spares i can buy instead of dealing with mpcstuff crazy shipping?
By KidProcrass Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:59 pm
JenceFalcon wrote:Anybody know where i could buy a fitting ribbon cable? What specs should i look for :hmmm:

Just completed this mod this morning. I brought the short one from the s3000xl into a computer shop and asked if they had any longer. Cost me 5$ for a brand new one. Basically just ask for a floppy drive cable.
By Kid.Berry Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 am
ok the mod in my XL is finished ... bud the Mutec ADO 8xout don´t work in the xl ... the mpc freeze wen i switch them on. :Sigh:

its wars all install like in in the tutorial ...with a little extra modification to support the board. i think the problem is that i user a Mutec ADO not the akai IB board. and i forget to say the mpc smelled of hot wire when I opened it again.

i tuck the floppy drive cable frome S2000 .. ( the floppy cable works fine in the S2000)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/fd6s.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/kpkv.jpg/
By Kid.Berry Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:37 pm
ok take the Mutec ADO II from my classic and all works fine... :hmmm:
By MPCHunter Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:46 pm
Please take pictures of the cable and how it is plugged into the motherboard. Pay attention to the red painted line on the ribbon cable. This will show you the orientation of the cable and if it is revered.

Sometimes floppy cables have the polarization key in a different spot.

If you accidentally reversed the position of the cable then you may have burnt one of the protection fuses.
By Beatdiggerjazzcat Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:51 pm
MPCHunter wrote:Please take pictures of the cable and how it is plugged into the motherboard. Pay attention to the red painted line on the ribbon cable. This will show you the orientation of the cable and if it is revered.

Sometimes floppy cables have the polarization key in a different spot.

If you accidentally reversed the position of the cable then you may have burnt one of the protection fuses.

Unfortunately the red line is not always a sure way of knowing its safe, you can't always be sure cable connectors are on the same way around on each end.

If it was reversed you normally blow more than a few protect fuses.

This mistake cooks several areas on the audio line.
By MPCHunter Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:03 pm
Beatdiggerjazzcat wrote:Unfortunately the red line is not always a sure way of knowing its safe, you can't always be sure cable connectors are on the same way around on each end.

Yes, but most ribbon connectors have a polarization key for orientation. They only fit into the motherboard socket one way. The red line is a quick check to see if the cable is flipped.

Beatdiggerjazzcat wrote:If it was reversed you normally blow more than a few protect fuses.

This mistake cooks several areas on the audio line.

Sometimes but not always. More issues can be caused by plugging the 8-output board into the floppy connector rather than reversing the 8-output cable.