Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By bcitral Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:21 am
I extended the cable with a new IDE cable, BUTTTTTT make sure when you take off your socket on the 8 out card end that you don't break the clip. This holds the cable onto the socket.
The new cable needs pressing very gentlt but with lots of force onto the pins of the socket.
I hope this makes sense... its very early here and I need coffee.

B
By os`kar Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:39 am
bcitral wrote:I extended the cable with a new IDE cable, BUTTTTTT make sure when you take off your socket on the 8 out card end that you don't break the clip. This holds the cable onto the socket.
The new cable needs pressing very gentlt but with lots of force onto the pins of the socket.
I hope this makes sense... its very early here and I need coffee.

B

I went through the broken clip story... not a big problem, really :)
I simply used the CA glue to fix this, and works fine.
as in my 8 outs thread, i used a modded SCSI cable, the pin holes in the ribbon were different a bit so i used the screwdriver press the cable in, works fine now, and after the clip fixing i simply put it in the right place
peace
Oskar
By bcitral Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:00 am
The clip isn't just to hold it in place but it needs to be tight to with stand thermal variations. The last thing you need in the middle of a gig is the cable felxing cause the unit is hot and one of the lines not making a true contact.

Just a point.

B
By digital022 Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:26 am
Hey guys, what exactly is the difference between the the IB208P board and the IBM208P board?

The one that came in this S2000 looks identical to the ones for sale for the 2000/2000XL (already mounted on a plate).

By _Stilo_ Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:51 pm
digital022 wrote:Hey guys, what exactly is the difference between the the IB208P board and the IBM208P board?

There is no difference. There are Akai boards and Mutec boards while the Mutec ones are much easier to find. The plate they are mounted on in the S2000 doesn't fit in the MPC though.
By jonestown massacre Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:12 pm
Do you just mod/rig up some new kind of mount? Anyone have any example/pics
By _Stilo_ Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:53 pm
I just used some old PC parts to fix it, additionally the 1/4" jacks are fastened with some washers (not seen here).

By jonestown massacre Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:54 pm
did you just drill into the chassis? Wouldnt you have to remove the main board as to not get metal shavings all over the contacts? If you could somehow get pics of the washers, too, that would be much appreciated...
By ninebynine Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:40 pm
This is how I mounted my 8 out board.

The board and metal bracket originally came from a S3000XL. All I did was cut the metal bracket to fit, all the screw holes are in the same place and line up with the holes in the back panel perfectly!

I have found no need to support the back end of the metal bracket as this MPC stays in the studio. If I was moving it about a lot I would support the back somehow.

As a side note, if you have much Akai gear S3000Xl's are very good donors for parts. I brought one for £50 on ebay a few years ago thinking I might use it and found a lot of the parts can be used in other Akai gear. I used the screen and inverter to replace the screen and invert in my MPC60MKII and used the output board in my MPC2000XL.

By jonestown massacre Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:48 pm
I dont have access to an s3000xl or anything like that.....Any diy at home fix??
By _Stilo_ Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:03 pm
jonestown massacre wrote:did you just drill into the chassis? Wouldnt you have to remove the main board as to not get metal shavings all over the contacts? If you could somehow get pics of the washers, too, that would be much appreciated...

Ok, here you see the washers (only on out 1 and 8 ). You can get those at electronic stores I guess. Don't know where I got mine from.

Here's another detail of the fixing...just takes to find a little sheet metal, drill some holes, find some screws...this was from an old PC case. The two long rods with the threads in it are on the mainboard already. You do not need to do anything to the mainboard!

On the other pic I posted you can also see the correct direction of the IDE cable. Red is always Pin 1, like usual in any PC cabling. As the "1" is not always marked on the 8-Out board, you can see here to which side it must go (at least on the Mutec board, I assume it is the same on the Akai boards).
By itsowheeze Fri May 08, 2009 10:29 pm
any suggestions for a correct mounting plate for the 8 outs for the s2000. I have recently purchased an akai s2000. I have installed the eb16 and I have just taken out the 8 outs on the s2000. I am trying to put it back in the mpc 2000xl. Does anybody have any good ideas on the proper way to mount the 8 outs in the mpc. Thanks