Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By tapedeck Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:52 pm
bcitral wrote:ALWAYS HAVE YOUR POWER CORD PLUGGED IN, WITHOUT THE POWER ACTUALLY TURNED ON.
:cry:
i understand you are trying to prevent people blowing up their mpcs, but i dont think this is really good advice.

better advice would be to ground yourself before working inside the machine, and maybe even wear a grounding wriststrap. leaving the device plugged in can really hurt someone if they make a mistake.
By bcitral Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:47 pm
Let me rephrase the last statement. Leave your unit plugged in but make sure the power is turned off at the wall. I thought that was quite obvious.
Or use a grounding strap. Same thing really. But work safe.
B
By bcitral Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:05 pm
Really, if you need to be told to isolate, you shouldn't be in there to start with. :shock:

B
By tapedeck Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:02 pm
i think it's serious enough you might edit that big bold statement to include the part about the power being off AT THE SOURCE - but personally i think it's got such a potential to be misunderstood and such serious consequences, i wouldn't have even said it.

the same jackass that reads it incorrectly is the same jackass thats going to plunge his soldering iron into the hot coming off the power cable. this is why i wouldn't even say it in the first place :wink:

not trying at all to hate, just think its a serious issue to be misinterpreted.
thats all, thanks.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:22 pm
bcitral wrote:Let me rephrase the last statement. Leave your unit plugged in but make sure the power is turned off at the wall. I thought that was quite obvious.
Or use a grounding strap. Same thing really. But work safe.
B

I repair battlefield servers for a living.

That's REALLY bad advice.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:00 pm
Lol...

To be on the safe side though, unplug all power cables.
Ground yourself or bang your head a few times on a metal pole or something.
Do whatever work your gonna do put everything back together with screws not fully tightened.
Plug up your power cables and everything and turn on.

If it doesn't work then do all of that again for trouble shooting purposes.

But never work on gear with a power plug connected to anything. It could destroy your gear or harm you.
You don't want either one I'm assuming. :lol:
By tapedeck Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:39 pm
Lampdog wrote:But never work on gear with a power plug connected to anything. It could destroy your gear or harm you.

im replying just to reinforce this.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:01 pm
I've been arc'd before and thrown 4 feet across a small room, it's not something you take lightly.
Years ago something so small as the tip of a screwdriver pinpointed my exposed thumb and arc'd directly into it.
Electricity went right through my thumb (thumbprint side) and down to my feet (no burns on my feet though). I was shook up for a few minutes and my leg was numb for a while but I lived.

Very scary/trippy.
By jibber Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:51 am
I didn't realize this thread had so many good install pics already... i got hold of an S3000XL with the IB208P board and also the EB16. I wanted to do a DIY instruction and took quite a few pics... so i'll post them here anyway. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Place your 2000XL on something soft, a pillow works great. Remove the following screws...

Remove these two screws on both sides of your S3000XL...

One more on the backside...

Once you remove the cover of the S3000XL, remove the following screws (note that i marked the wrong screw in the picture, the one marked in the middle of the pic should be one screw to the left which is holding the support plate, not the one holding the PCB board):

The cable used in the S3000XL that connects the IB208P is too short for the 2000XL, if you have a CF card reader in your MPC and still have the old floppy cable you can use that one (already installed in this picture, the cable i'm holding is the original one from the S3000XL...

Remove the following screws...

The EB16 board removed from the S3000XL, remove the little support bracket and keep the screw (you can use it to secure the board in the 2000XL)...

There's another PCB board (L/R record input board) screwed to the support plate of the IB208P, i found it easier to remove it from the support plate, rather than removing the cables connected to it. If you cut the support plate carefully, you can put it back in place later with the part you cut away...

Remove the IB208P board from the support plate by removing the following screws...

Use a metal saw to cut the support plate into two parts, like shown here... be careful not to cut away the hole marked in the picture, as you'll need it to secure the plate to the case of the 2000XL...

I don't know about other people, but in my case i also had to modify the following part... use a metal file to grind down the marked metal piece like shown in the picture, otherwise a screw inside the MPC case will stand in its way...

On your 2000XL, you can remove the following screws and take out the cover plate for the 8 outs... keep the plate and screws to put it into the S3000XL...
put into the S3000XL...

Here's the EB16 in the 2000XL, connect it and secure it with the screw from the little support bracket you removed earlier...

Now comes the only tricky part of this mod... attaching the new floppy cable to the IB208P board. With this you should be very careful in order not to break anything.
Use a very small flat screwdriver and position it like shown in this picture... gently pry open the plastic cover holding the cable in place by pulling the screwdriver to the "inside direction" of each side (sorry for the bad english)...

You don't need much force, just pull upwards on the plastic clip while pushing the clip to the outside with the screwdriver. Once it un-clips, it'll look like this... (repeat on the other side)...

Once the plastic cover of the cable is removed, it'll look like this... it's a good idea to indicate the side with the red cable (pin one) on the connector before removing the cable (so you know which way around to put in the new cable later)...

In order to put in the floppy cable from the 2000XL, you have to remove the black clip that connect the cable to the motherboard of the 2000XL. I show it on another cable in this picture (the one that was originally in the S3000XL), but the principle is exactly the same with the one in the 2000XL. Gently remove the plastic cover by prying open the clips like this...

Here's the cable being removed from the old connector... in my case the gap of the pins that pierce through the cable was not the same as on the connector of the IB208P board, so cut away the old holes of the cable...

And this is the tricky part... putting the new cable in place on the IB208P without breaking something. It requires quite some force to pierce the pins through the cable, at the same time you have to make sure to line it up exactly right, and not to break or bend any of the pins or break the cable. I used a small key and screwdriver to push the cable in place (take your time, be careful)...

Once you managed to connect the cable to the board, screw it back to the support plate and then into the MPC by using the following screws and connecting the floppy cable to the bus shown in the picture...

If everything worked, you'll be able to access the individual outs and effects page in your 2000XL...

Peace!
By godxbOmb Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:41 pm
big up for this post jibber. I'm getting the S3000xl for christmas now.
By Lampdog Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:31 pm
damn good tutorial right there.
By ddoak55 Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 am
Hi everyone,
two years ago I tried exactly the same procedure like shown above. But I screwed it, probably misaligned or reversed the cable. After connecting to the mainboard some smoke went from the mainboard and the MPC was gone. Not completely, just the audio path was somehow killed, sequencer and disc operations worked. So I sold it cheaply for parts, very sad. Then bought MPC1000 went through it and came to the point that I want to return to the 2kXL. So I won one barebone machine in an auction, still waiting for it. Meanwhile I look at the spare output board and wonder if there is a way how to check if the out board was also killed in the process. I know it worked in the first place.

Thanks for any help
David
By MPCHunter Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:45 am
ddoak55 wrote:Hi everyone,
two years ago I tried exactly the same procedure like shown above. But I screwed it, probably misaligned or reversed the cable. After connecting to the mainboard some smoke went from the mainboard and the MPC was gone. Not completely, just the audio path was somehow killed, sequencer and disc operations worked. So I sold it cheaply for parts, very sad. Then bought MPC1000 went through it and came to the point that I want to return to the 2kXL. So I won one barebone machine in an auction, still waiting for it. Meanwhile I look at the spare output board and wonder if there is a way how to check if the out board was also killed in the process. I know it worked in the first place.

Thanks for any help
David

There are two circuit protect fuses located at FS501 and FS502 on the output board that will need to be replaced.
By ddoak55 Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:04 pm
Thank you for your response. I checked them with my meter and both are ok, means there is no resistance, they appear not to be blown. There is also no visual sign of damage, no blown capacitors or burned resistors. I dont want to repeat my errors but it would be a waste to buy another one if the board works.