For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Hththt555 Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:59 pm
any hints to ease up the job for the Sequencer?
i would think layering samples rather pushes the Seq to hiccups but with the easy Resampling available why should one layer a lot.

So besides freeing up memory here and there anything that does help relax the Seq a lot? motsly for changing/muting tracks while playback (songmode) and doing a few realitime filterings on outboard midi controller?
By dryad-66 Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:32 am
Hththt555 wrote:any hints to ease up the job for the Sequencer?
i would think layering samples rather pushes the Seq to hiccups but with the easy Resampling available why should one layer a lot.

So besides freeing up memory here and there anything that does help relax the Seq a lot? motsly for changing/muting tracks while playback (songmode) and doing a few realitime filterings on outboard midi controller?

Resampling on the fly as you go is the obvious route.Also utilizing the output board and editing outside the x in real time.Apart from that its glitch city.....
By Lampdog Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:22 pm
dryad-66 wrote:...... but fiddly.

I had a red pro before my 2kxl. ASR X Pro is great but very fiddly. The "etch-a-sketch" fiddling is something that annoyed the hell outta me. Soon as I got the chance to go 2kxl (a less powerful machine imo) I did.
By Clint Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:54 pm
Hththt555 wrote:any hints to ease up the job for the Sequencer?

Yes.

Don't use it, use another sequencer.

MPC sequencer gets the job done.
By Hththt555 Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:51 pm
inside the larger Ensoniq ASR thread theres something that has me confused:

can i as i assume use any kind of midi controller like arturia keyboard, set and permanently safe the knobs on the Controller to trigger inside parameters of the X?
like Envelope, Cutoff, FX, Resonance Filters etc?

dont tell me i cant please?

i would do all the essential Stuff on the X but would prefer using real knobs for these kind of things.

good to go?
By THE ADVERSARY Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:51 pm
dryad-66 wrote:The x has the resonant filter which the 10 does not as well.I made plenty of stuff on the x i would not have on the mpc.Its unique but fiddly.

I thought every ASR10 owner owned the Waveboy stuff?
I know back when the ASR was in production everyone I knew with one purchased the Waveboy filters.

Of course this was at the same time that ASRs were costing $2400 so the cost of the disk were pretty negligible.
By 313 studio tricks Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:00 am
asrx/pro is a great sounding machine with its creamy filters and awesome fx package... fiddly is definitely right tho. too bad it was one of their last releases and was half assed. they never even released the midi specs. such a shame. the best samplers ever and creative had to fuck it all up. :Sigh:
By THE ADVERSARY Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:55 am
Lampdog wrote:
THE ADVERSARY wrote:I thought every ASR10 owner owned the Waveboy stuff?

Nope.

I guess some people looked at it the same way they looked at not adding SCSI to their ASR10.

Not having the Rez and possible Vocoder disk never made sense to me nor did not adding SCSI.

Sh*t I remember how crazy it was buying a ASR10 new and then having to pay $160 for expanded ram and another $349 for the SP3.
Plus it was before the world of file sharing so you had to pay for the Waveboy stuff as well.

Just was what we did back in then. :nod:
By Lampdog Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:09 am
Kid Nepro and I were best buds (I bought several of those sample packs) for a long minute in 1994 until I got the hang of creating my own libraries. When I finally picked up red pro year later I already knew the deal. Everything seemed so familiar.
By dryad-66 Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:07 pm
Hththt555 wrote:inside the larger Ensoniq ASR thread theres something that has me confused:

can i as i assume use any kind of midi controller like arturia keyboard, set and permanently safe the knobs on the Controller to trigger inside parameters of the X?
like Envelope, Cutoff, FX, Resonance Filters etc?

dont tell me i cant please?

i would do all the essential Stuff on the X but would prefer using real knobs for these kind of things.

good to go?

Have a look at this-

http://www.chickensys.com/products2/asrxtools/

Might be worth investing in.
By THE ADVERSARY Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:33 pm
Mike Boogie wrote:Wow, that's a name I haven't heard in a looong time...

Kid Nepro

Yeah I did a lot of sound grabbing from Sam at Syntaur back then and back when it was Rubber Chicken not Chicken Systems I sent Garth about 110 Mirage floppy disk that he converted to ASR (or EPS)format for me since there wasn't a software option to do so at the time.

OK I'm gonna shut up, this is starting to sound like an old dude reunion. :lol: