For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Mitch The Jazzy One Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 pm
Could you test input with any other device?

I just tested my set-up TT -> DJ mixer -> ASR input, while I selected line on Asr I did have to turn gain up on on my mixer, but when I selected mic on Asr I had to use like 1/10th of the gain on DJ mixed to get same loudness level of the sound as I did with line selection.
There wasn't any distorsion whatsoever with using mic selector, I just had to use less gain.

Just make sure you've turned the input volume knob right way on Asr which is to the right, looking from the top.
By Hththt555 Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:30 pm
yeah all is turned down as far as possible. asr vol aswell as input level.

so anything that lets me add a volume between the TT and ASR would help me!?

wondering if i can simply run through my THR10 for sampling and re-wire for chopping/sequencing etc

will try that
By Mitch The Jazzy One Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:12 pm
Hththt555 wrote:so anything that lets me add a volume between the TT and ASR would help me!?

Probably, unless there is something wrong with Asr input section, but the way you're describing the problem, it sounds like the default output level of turntable is too much for Asr to handle, even with Asr input turned all the way down.

Just try TT -> THR10 -> Asr. So you could control TT level with THR10.
By Hththt555 Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:47 pm
yes works perfect, can even drive and sweeten through the THR10 if i want.
just have to resort to Phones while sampling but that i can live with i guess.

thanks.... finally ready and great sounding samples from the ASR
By Hththt555 Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:28 pm
So.... a while later.

i DO love the asr X for the ease of use in sampling, chopping and working just on the fly to stay in a creative flow/idea.

i do love the sound.

i dont enjoy the look a lot but thats not that important. i Miss the great MPC pads i remember from around 8 years ago when i had the 2000xl. and that wonderful grey the mpc shines in.

so i have little dilemma. Making the switch from ASR to MPC i dont think would be wise at all. I allready made 3 or 4 really deep and very nice sounding (simple!) beats on this. but rather loops so far. The Sequencer really is a bit clunky but for the simple looped tracks of 16-32 bars it can work quite well.

also while i loved the pads on the old mpc i remember sampling/editing wasnt even near this fast as its with the ASR X

so what i am consindering, reading that many like the mpc-asr combo is getting a (if possible) cheap MPC 60 or 2K. doesnt have to have that many extras. i would like to use it as sequencer + added sample power for some drums or other extra samples for example if i reach the max 32mb ram of the ASR (wich allready did happen)

so i wonder what mpc you suggest and would like to know the following:

1: can the mpc control the ASR tracks so i can play the sounds on those wonderful pads?

2: if so will i still be able to play other sounds in the ASR (for example synth samples) from my master keybpoard and edit filter/FX paramters from the keyboard all at the same time while i control other tracks from the mpc?
So basicaly can the ASR tracks be controlled from both devices at the same time?
like playing on MPC while editing filters and ADSR from master keyboard?

3:what about sound routing. i dont have and dont want to get a mixer (i need minimalism!) so if i have sounds in the ASR playing aswell as in the MPC how will i combine these to one final output? would i route the MPC through the ASR for Master out? (please elaborate if you can)

4: whats a clever storing way if most samples are on ASR and some are on MPC + Sequence is on MPC andy maybe even effects midi parameter data on ASR.
How to combine all this when saving the song? i can imagine a bit of chaos.
I do have a CF card reader wich also should work on the mpc (dont know if the scsi cable is the same tough) and i can change cards when turning the drive off and leave ASR running (dont know if this works with the MPC either)
By THE ADVERSARY Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:42 pm
Full circle to my original reply :nod:

THE ADVERSARY wrote:Why not just get a cheap MPC?
Even the 500 is a better option than the X or X Pro.

Since you are now of the frame of mind of yes to a MPC do yourself a favor.
Skip the 60 or 2k, go with a 1k with JJ OS, preferably a paid version and be happy.

The difference in the sequencing and sampling workflow over the older MPCs will be more satisfying.
By Hththt555 Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:04 pm
had 1000 and hated it and the JJ OS
loved the older one 2k i think.

not at all full circle to your post. i love the asr x
nothing beats chopping on all pads while the hand is still on the turntable.
not possible with the mpc if i remember correctly
By THE ADVERSARY Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:18 pm
Hththt555 wrote:had 1000 and hated it and the JJ OS
loved the older one 2k i think.

not at all full circle to your post. i love the asr x
nothing beats chopping on all pads while the hand is still on the turntable.
not possible with the mpc if i remember correctly

Ok then you went 359 .99999 degrees, not quite the full 360 Degrees. :roll:

You are still at the same point of get a MPC and do you know why?
Because ANY MPC is still gonna be better than using the ASRx.
No way to get around the difference in the sum of their total ability.

At any rate :arrow:
By Hththt555 Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 pm
it does!

but also the ease of chopping is very important.
i was looking at a 3K now for a while but i dont think it makes sense to be.
anyway i can only justify a cheapo MPC to add to the ASR X if i wanna do this setp.
3k would be instead of asr+cheap mpc

so far i have no trouble with the sequencer but yes it can get glitchy when live editing and thats what i wanna do with midi filtering while playing synths etc.

a few questions:

-1 if i add a MPC 2000, i can run sounds from both machines and still mess with ASR parameters through midi while everything is sequenced from the MPC right?
this would also double my sampling time to 2x32mb correct?

2-whats the better steup for workflow and sound and timing, mpc 3000 or ASR-X + 2000?
By Clint Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:43 am
T'was but a brief love affair. :Sigh:

Hththt555 wrote:i traded in my ASR-X for a 2000xl. I dont want 2 samplers for now and need the Seq. (and the PADS!!!)
By THE ADVERSARY Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:18 pm
Clint wrote:T'was but a brief love affair. :Sigh:

Hththt555 wrote:i traded in my ASR-X for a 2000xl. I dont want 2 samplers for now and need the Seq. (and the PADS!!!)

Now it's the complete 360 degrees. :nod: :popcorn: