For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Hththt555 Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:42 pm
main question:
i am trying to get the following setup cabled and ready.

Doepfer lmk Keyboard (has 2 midi outs)
Moog Minitaur (Midi in)
Kontakt on my mac for rhodes etc (midi to usb cable)
MPC 2000 XL as Sequencer (2x in/Out)

if i want this setup permanently cabled how would you do this and how to set it up in the MPC?

i am thinking:
-midi out 1 of the LMK to MPC Midi in 1 / MPC midi out 1 to moog
-midi out 2 of the LMK to MPC Midi in 2 / MPC midi out 2 to MAC(Kontakt) via Midi to USB

this would allow me to play those instruments/modules all the time and record notes and Midi Parameters to the MPC.

anything i am missing or is this easy as that?
By SimonInAustralia Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:06 am
In the normal MPC MIDI configuration, the two MIDI inputs are merged, and that MIDI data is sent out whatever MIDI output the selected track is set to.

You can also set it up in Multiple Track Recording mode, where you assign each MIDI input/channel to a particular track, and assign them to a particular MIDI output/channel that you want to send the MIDI to.

How do you plan to use the two MIDI outputs on the LMK, are you doing a keyboard split, where half the keyboard sends MIDI to one of the two MIDI outputs, and the other half of the keyboard sends MIDI to the other MIDI output?
By Hththt555 Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 am
i see.

i guess the merge isnt the best in my application, only if i actually want to mix both sound sources with the same notes.

i am not certain what will be the usual main setup but i would probably want to make a preset for keyboard split on the LMK and jump between minitaur/Kontakt only to only minitaur or kontakt.

with the multiple track recording, i can leave my non extern midi stuff untouched (like all mpc internal samples and stuff) yes?
By Hththt555 Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:53 pm
okay one Instrument per track works perfect,

but what about if i want to play the moog + Kontakt at the same time?

is there some OMNI option in the MPC?

love Vibraphone + moog what a combination!!!
By Hththt555 Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:26 pm
ll figue out the xl step by step myself

but i have a midi issue here that kills me... i am just in a creative process but cant record my piano playing to my mpc, so this stops me from building the song.

i have:
M-audio MIDI USB Uno interface cable
2kxl
doepfer keyboard with 2 midi outs
KONTAKT
MOOG minitaur

i can play and record the minitaur on the fly, no problem....
i can play Kontakt too (just choosing midi B instead of A etc)
but whatever i do it wont record my notes on the MPC (wich it does when playing the moog)

i switched midi cables 10 times now, nothing changed... i can also play the Kontakt Piano form the mpc pads, but wont record notes. JUST WONT:(

ONLY workaround for now i found is dumping a live played melody to tape or mpc in case of mpc i am not even able to hear the rythm, so thats not so cool

some midi magician knows the right spell?
By SimonInAustralia Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:05 am
If the MIDI is going into the MPC, then out to the computer, to play sounds in Kontakt, and it plays the sounds from the pads as well, it should record them into the sequencer.
By SimonInAustralia Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:07 am
When you hits pads, or play a MIDI keyboard that is connected to the MPC, on an MPC sequencer MIDI track that is set to output to the Minitaur on MIDI output A, it records those note events into the MPC sequencer?

But if you change that same MPC Sequencer track from MIDI output A to MIDI output B, and MIDI output B is connected to the MIDI input on the computer, it doesn't record those same note events?

That doesn't sound right.
By Hththt555 Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:47 am
yes thats how it is.

midi out LMK goes in 2 on mpc, out B goes kontakt and i can play via keys or pads, but wont record it in the mpc.

i dont get it either.... if it would be a broken midi cable the chain would fall earlier no?

maybe some Kontakt setting? or maybe it actually records but the play back to kontakt has to be chained different than? (i didnt dive into the step seq yet, will do to see if there are notes)

or maybe the Midisport Uno isnt cabable of this? but with 16in/out i think it should perfectly be!?
By SimonInAustralia Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:51 am
Check to see if the notes are being recorded in MPC step edit.

Have you changed any of the MPC MIDI reception settings, or are you running it in multiple track recording mode?

You could also run a MIDI monitor on your computer, to see what MIDI notes/channel/etc. it is receiving when playing the keyboard, and if/what it is receiving after being recorded into the MPC sequence.
By Hththt555 Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:32 am
i didnt change.

midi Sync:
in:1 / out:A
Recive IN:1 OUT:A

if you refer to that (midi/sync) window, thats what i get when starting up the mpc
By SimonInAustralia Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:05 pm
No, I mean the MIDI Output window, move the cursor to where you select the MIDI output of the track, for example 1A, press the Open Window button, is Soft Thru: set to As Track?

It is shown on Page 53 of the manual.

Not really sure if that would make a difference to what you are trying to do.

Have you checked to see if it is recording the note events in MPC Step Edit mode, and have you run a MIDI monitor on your computer to see what the difference is when playing the notes through the MPC versus playing them back after being recorded into an MPC sequence?
By Hththt555 Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:59 pm
i have no idea what it was, i suppose some kind of midi corruption (maybe the order stuff gets switched on, i dont know) butg it works now!

weird.... but good