For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Retro Styles Tue May 26, 2015 8:52 pm
Hello guys,
I have a short question. I have a 12 square meters room. What woofer size should I prefer, 8 or 6 ones?
(I was thinking to buy the rokits g3 because of their deep low end.)
Thanks in advance.

(If you want post your opinion about some brands of monitors.)
By sjeff Wed May 27, 2015 5:39 pm
5 inch.!

KRK's have a bad frequency respons, and are really fatuiging when using for a longer period.
Look at the JBL LSR305, nice flat respons and covers a good frequency spectrum. Bass is tight and has a 'natural' roll off, more than enough bass for a 12m2 room! If you go bigger than 5 inch it will reflect everywhere..
By Retro Styles Fri May 29, 2015 6:03 pm
I have searched a lot in the web and many of the studio guys recomend 8" for 12m2 room.
Have you anything else to suggest except rokits and jbl which mentioned above?
What about yamaha's h8s bass response? Is worth to check em out?
Thanks in advance
By SILIS101 Fri May 29, 2015 7:57 pm
I am in the market for monitors as well. I've always read around the Web to get rokits....I currently use old Roland DS-50A's. They have been ok, but not great. The bass response is not realistic to actual sound. What monitors are good for both bass, mids and highs? Does a pair exist?
By v00d00ppl Fri May 29, 2015 8:05 pm
Don't mess around. Get the munro egg 150
By Retro Styles Sat May 30, 2015 12:10 pm
SILIS101 wrote:I am in the market for monitors as well. I've always read around the Web to get rokits....I currently use old Roland DS-50A's. They have been ok, but not great. The bass response is not realistic to actual sound. What monitors are good for both bass, mids and highs? Does a pair exist?

I think that pair doesn't exist and every similar to that gonna be some multithousand pair. If you have the budget then ok, but if you don't then look for something else....
By mr_debauch Sat May 30, 2015 4:49 pm
rockits... i dont own them but have been in front of them quite a few times in various studios.... they seem like the perfect thing for a gaming computer, or as home theater speakers.... or just for music listening.. The bass is too potent on those in my opinion which might be great if your room is **** up and you need that front port...... i personally would get any JBL, mackie, or yamaha (which are in the same price range) over the rockit KRK monitors (probably KRK's high end might be great).

the thing to always remember though is no matter what you get, you will need to learn them so you know how what you're hearing would translate to the outside world.
By T-Virus Sun May 31, 2015 2:44 pm
I've had my KRK VXT6 for a while now and I like them. Yeah the bass is a little much but other then that I like them. Don't need a sub. But my next we'll be Adams or genelec they sound amazing. I recommend Adams AX7.
By Retro Styles Sun May 31, 2015 4:29 pm
VXTs are whole different class from rokits. I need the front bass port because my room is ****** up.
I also think about presonus?
What are you thinking about those monitors, I'm a little anxious about presonus's monitors though, becasue it's new in this area...
By sjeff Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:46 pm
Just an idea.. but you can also buy headphones to check the bass/sub and use monitors for imaging and mids/highs. Maybe an extra reference grotbox type speaker.. will work perfect in a small room like yours.
By sjeff Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 pm
I definitely wouldnt recommend 8 inch monitors in a untreated small room, (which I guess is the situation you have, after reading your posts)
By SEMS Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:13 pm
I'd say go for the smaller woofers in that room. Bass is complicated as-is, and is one of the things hardest to get right in home studios. I've been in too many that have 8"+ woofers & it just makes everything so bassy.

I'd also recommend saving up for something besides the KRKs. The only time I'd recommend something like the Rokits is if it's the only thing in your budget for a long time, and if you plan on having someone else mix your music. If you plan on mixing it yourself, definitely save up for something more high-end.

Monitoring is the absolute most important thing when it comes to engineering music, don't skimp on it.
By Retro Styles Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:51 pm
Thanks for your answers guys, they really helped me
Yes my room is untreated and my budget is tight...
I have also a pair of hi fi speakers so I can swap between them and the monitors to check the mix.
I'll go to a store and check some monitors out, after I buy a new cartridge, because my previous was lent to me by a friend of mine...
My timing sucks