For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By starmanwarz Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:49 pm
Hey,

I've had a pair of Alesis M1 Active 520's for almost 10 years now but one of them is almost dead now and probably beyond repair. I am not making beats at the moment (still got my equipment though) and I was wondering if I should get another pair of studio monitors for everyday PC usage (listening to music, games, movies etc).

The thing is that I don't know if I'm going to like any stereo speakers for my PC after using these monitors all these years. They were not high end but they definitely did the job.

So, studio monitors or stereo speakers just for PC usage? If I decide on monitors I was looking at the KRK Rokits G3 6's and Yamaha NS7, these any good?
By Lampdog Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:08 pm
Maybe the smaller versions of those will be easier on the pocket if non critical listening (critical listening as in mastering/mixing songs) and only as pc speakers.

Yes those are damn good choices though.

Just in case you start making beats again you will already have good monitors, so yeah.
By Heavie Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:45 am
JBL LSR305 is one of the best for the price. Read up on the reviews. I was so impress with the JBL LSR305, that I purchase the JBL LSR308. Beautiful sounds all thru my studio.
By sciguy Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:39 am
+1 on the LSR305. Great sound for the price. (<$300 for a pair)
To be totally honest, the build quality for sure isn't quite as good as other options. But it's well-built enough, and JBL had to compromise somewhere to get this good sound for the price.
By starmanwarz Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:04 pm
Alright, first things first. I guess that I should be going for studio monitors.

Now, the KRK's and the JBL's are exactly the same price here, in that case I should be going for the JBL's ? Are they that much better? I'm not liking how they look but if they are that amazing..

And lastly, 5" should be enough, right?
By Lampdog Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:45 pm
If you want deep bass look into a sub. 5's are nice but they are not subwoofers.
By starmanwarz Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:59 pm
So I've had the JBL's for 2 days now and I have to say I am impressed, thanks to all of you for suggesting them. A lot bassier than my 520's. I have them connected to a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer and input sensitivity set at +4Dbu (same value as my mixer I believe) and the rest on default values. They also look much better than I thought :)