For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Lampdog Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:17 pm
Embarrassing, BUT, I'm gonna post it anyway.

So I've went ADAT (8ch optical) on MPC4k and SPDIF (2ch optical) on Triton Extreme more than a decade ago
(100% digital vol always).
I RARELY use my analog outs. needed to use 4k analog main outs today. Could NOT get audio out for about
1hr. Tried everything I could think of before going to the manual. I was doing everything right "in my mind".

Came here, Gearslutz, etc.

FINALLY got it!

Me, since I don't use analog outs, guess what knobs are not used and KEPT in the zero position??

Main Volume on 4k.

flowers fuc man.

:oops: :oops:

By Lampdog Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:03 pm
Maaann, I could have kicked my own ass with your foot.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:14 pm
Lampdog wrote:Old thread, embarrassing, BUT, I'm gonna post it anyway.

So I've went ADAT (8ch optical) on MPC4k and SPDIF (2ch optical) on Triton Extreme more than a decade ago
(100% digital vol always).
I RARELY use my analog outs. needed to use 4k analog main outs today. Could NOT get audio out for about
1hr. Tried everything I could think of before going to the manual. I was doing everything right "in my mind".

Came here, Gearslutz, etc.

FINALLY got it!

Me, since I don't use analog outs, guess what knobs are not used and KEPT in the zero position??

Main Volume on 4k.

flowers fuc man.

:oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That happened to me at a late session. I could only get one sound out of the MPC. I changed all the cables, reload the project, but nothing would work. Turns out that I soloed an instrument in the mixer setting. Which as you know does not show up on the MAIN or Track Mute screens.
By Sharris Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:40 pm
That's awesome Lampdog! Thanks for sharing. Makes sense tho........if you haven't used the volume knob in years, you wouldn't even think of it.

When recording vocals I ALWAYS forget to turn phantom power on. Almost every time. But I'm ALWAYS happy on the green, so I just use that as my excuse.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:49 am
Sharris wrote:That's awesome Lampdog! Thanks for sharing. Makes sense tho........if you haven't used the volume knob in years, you wouldn't even think of it.

When recording vocals I ALWAYS forget to turn phantom power on. Almost every time. But I'm ALWAYS happy on the green, so I just use that as my excuse.

Please tell me you turn down the gain, before turn the phantom power on. Also I guess your gear is not in a smoke free studio. :lol:
By Lampdog Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:10 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Please tell me you turn down the gain, before turn the phantom power on.

:shock:
By peterpiper Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:52 pm
Thank you Lampdog. 100 respect points for posting this. No matter how often we do things day i day out (ok in your case you didn't use the vol.knob for years) sometimes life show us that we're no machines and to me this is very reassuring. BTW I know that soloing or monitorrouting 'problem' on a mixing desk.ALTHOUGH there is a red LED :)
peace
By Lampdog Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 pm
No matter how much we all know, no matter how much we've all done this shit over and over again.
We are still human and will sometimes flowers up the simplest things.

At least it wasn't midi headphones that was causing me problems.
By Sharris Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:11 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Sharris wrote:That's awesome Lampdog! Thanks for sharing. Makes sense tho........if you haven't used the volume knob in years, you wouldn't even think of it.

Please tell me you turn down the gain, before turn the phantom power on. Also I guess your gear is not in a smoke free studio. :lol:

Def not a smoke free studio :smoker:
Gain is down prior to even messin with the mic. Volume as well.
I'm like that with all my gear tho, I made a habit of it.
Prior to turning anything on I always make sure the volume is down.