For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By kebzer Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:38 am
Well, not that cheap actually, but some of you can solve their problems with their SP's, as I did, with a pretty damn easy way. I though I should share this with the fam, so here how it goes:

The o.g. SP1200 floppy drive was the SONY MPF920-93W-00D. It was the bulky one, with the huge press button in front and the weird loading mechanism. Well, the SP wasn't the only machine with that specific drive fitted...

You can actually find one like this inside an o.g. EPS keyboard! Yep, that's right, the EPS was shipped with those drives back in the day! I don't know about the EPSm (rack) or the EPS-16, but I do know that the first EPS were shipped like that. I am talking about this keyboard:

It happened that one of those *rare* keyboards was lying inside my studio. So, I opened it up, took the drive off and plugged in the SP to see what will happen. Guess what? It worked flawlessly without even having to change anything on the drive's setup!

Now, the tricky part. We all know that FORAT sells replacement drives for $150 each, without S/H costs. An EPS usually goes on ebay for $150 max. I found a replacement drive for the EPS for under $70 inside ebay, cause as far as I read, the EPS can work with the SONY MPF420-1 which is the same for the ASR, as well as some revisions of the infamous TEAC FD235HF.

So, if you can locate one EPS as such (you can easy check it by requesting a photo of the drive - it's damn easy to recognize that thing!), you can get both a replacement drive for the SP, plus an EPS keyboard for about the same price! Think about it, if you're gonna spend that money on a drive, why not getting a keyboard at the same time?

Please notice that the above are no theory. I did it and it worked! Although, you need to make sure that the drives match up between the machines. BTW, the EPS was the European plug, if that matters at all.

PS I would have post this over at the DX forums as well, if those guys actually activated my account at last! :angry:
By kebzer Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:47 am
It's the black reissue but I don't know about the drives they used to ship them.
By DukeNewport Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:20 pm
kebzer wrote:PS I would have post this over at the DX forums as well, if those guys actually activated my account at last! :angry:

And they were clownin U 4 askin questions over here and not there :lol:

BTW Forat makes it so u can use HD floppies in the SP
By peterpiper Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:54 pm
Well I think now its near impossible for me to get a real cheap Classic EPS cause the SP User will hunt them too. :(
But it always interesting to know what floppy drives are build in all the samplers. So thanks for the info.

peace
By sequoia1232 Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:35 pm
Yo! Stealing the floppy out of a functioning EPS is not tight. The EPS is a cold piece, don't sleep. The EPS is useless without the floppy, unless you have SCSI.

There are plenty of drives that work in the SP, and most of them can be had for a few bucks. Besides HD floppies are the way to go.

The DX7II (the one with a floppy of course) has a panasonic HD/DD floppy that is also a direct replacement. Though, It shouldn't be gutted for the floppy either.

Dface's SP Forum has more on the subject.

Please don't kill your EPS!