For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By JDSY Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:11 am
a buddy of mine has an s950, and he's willing to sell it to me, although it is being borrowed by someone in chicago.

what is a good price for it A. if it only has the 750k mem, and B. if it has the 2megs?

he said he bought it for 250...

(i'm starting to be more interested in these older limited machines. my s5000 is almost too buttery sounding and over kill as far as capabilities. although I might still keep it. I would trade my 5000 for a 950 though)

thanks
By crossings Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:23 pm
if no memory expansion is included, i wouldn't pay over $150... if he doesn't wanna take that offer, than just get a used S900 for under $100... they're both the same thing if the S950 doesn't have additional memory... however, $250 for a fully expanded S950 sounds about right...
By Deta!L Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:19 pm
Standard 950s go for 250 all day on eBay. Expanded ones from 250 to 400 and more. If it's in good shape 250 is fair. If he's your friend maybe 150-200.
By crossings Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:33 pm
that used to be the case, but i've seen prices drop considerably in the last year... not just on the s950s but on all kinds of hardware lately... maybe it's just because i'm in a big city or it's probably also because even more people are going all software now... personally, i still think the S900 is a better bang for the buck... i'd never pay $250 for just a standard S950 when the S900 is the same thing and can be found for much cheaper...
By thx Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:15 pm
last year i bougth a maxed s950 for 100€, but the backlight is very low
although the lcd screen is ok
By peterpiper Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:25 pm
Ebay prices are crazy sometimes. Most of the 950s I've watched on ebay went for 150-250 EUR. On the other hand you got auctions like this

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0292524616
(I paid 75 EUR for my 900 and it has the 8 trigger input option)

The best deal I've ever seen for a 950 (damn I missed the end of this auction :( )

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0493104220

peace
By crossings Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:11 pm
speaking of the 8 input trigger option... does anyone know what the going rate for the AKAI ASK-90 is? just how rare or easy to find are they? and they only work exclusively in the S900, correct?
By peterpiper Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:30 pm
I never saw one alone (without the 900). I saw 3 900s with this board on ebay since i look out for one (for about 5 or 6 years) but I think MPC Hunter know more auctions (I only watched at the german ebay).
And you are right. The trigger inputs only works in the 900. Thats sad cause I would like to put it in my 950 and sell the 900, but I have to keep it to play "drums".

peace
By fobedafied Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:25 am
i sold a s950 with fully expanded memory to a user here on the forums 2 years ago for about $360... we were both happy... :)

my boy just copped an s900 with the ASK-90 trigger board installed from a pawn shop for $45... :o :)

an unexpanded s950 IS NOT the same as an s900... there is an OS for the s900 that gives it MOST of the functions of the s950... but i think you might need certain EPROMS installed to load that OS... not really sure though...

just remember, the memory expansion boards go for $100 or more, IF you can even locate any... 8)
By crossings Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:24 am
fobedafied wrote:my boy just copped an s900 with the ASK-90 trigger board installed from a pawn shop for $45... :o :)

i only wish the pawn shops in my hood carried samplers & stuff like that... i'm only finding good deals on gear on ebay these days...

fobedafied wrote:an unexpanded s950 IS NOT the same as an s900... there is an OS for the s900 that gives it MOST of the functions of the s950... but i think you might need certain EPROMS installed to load that OS... not really sure though...

this has been covered before on the forum, but the S900 does have to be version 1.2 [which the majority of s900s out there are] in order to upgrade the OS to version 4.0... this OS upgrade adds almost all the missing functions from the S950... of course it's not the same exact thing, but it may as well be...

The S9V4.0 has been developed to augment the functions of the S900.
By loading this system software onto your S900 V1.2 (1,2), you can
obtain the following additional functions and upgrade the musical
expressiveness of your S900.

1. Pre-trigger recording
2. Special one shot mode
3. Crossfade looping
4. Dynamic Filtering
5. Automatic locating of start point
6. Velocity release by note on
7. Combine two samples for velocity crossfade type samples
8. Changing the velocity mix curve for velocity crossfade
9. Time skew for velocity
10. Key group copy function
11. Disk mode: Compression of sampled data
When using S9V4.0, please make sure you have fully mastered the basic
operation of S900.
By JDSY Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:10 am
crossings wrote:that used to be the case, but i've seen prices drop considerably in the last year... not just on the s950s but on all kinds of hardware lately... maybe it's just because i'm in a big city or it's probably also because even more people are going all software now... personally, i still think the S900 is a better bang for the buck... i'd never pay $250 for just a standard S950 when the S900 is the same thing and can be found for much cheaper...

i also think there is a lot of the new generation that want these old pieces because of nostalgia and the fact that they are truly the first generation electronic tools... so there can be a premium
By peterpiper Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:16 am
JDSY wrote:
crossings wrote:that used to be the case, but i've seen prices drop considerably in the last year... not just on the s950s but on all kinds of hardware lately... maybe it's just because i'm in a big city or it's probably also because even more people are going all software now... personally, i still think the S900 is a better bang for the buck... i'd never pay $250 for just a standard S950 when the S900 is the same thing and can be found for much cheaper...

i also think there is a lot of the new generation that want these old pieces because of nostalgia and the fact that they are truly the first generation electronic tools... so there can be a premium

I guess premier has a big influence on the sells of 950s.
peace
By JDSY Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:04 am
yeah i gotta hear some good premier beats. I think I've only heard gangstarr stuff and this was years ago. my hip hop history is not that deep... I had a beat junkies CD a dj friend of mine gave me. There i first heard quasimodo. I have a stones throw comp, with hits and a mix CD but i haven't jammed it out in a while. I have a promo mp3 set of dilla donuts which i liked. that stuff is inspiring.

a different analogy to that older hip hop is squarepusher, because some of his early beats sound so basic and gritty you know it was done on some old school akai samplers. and probably a million other junglists

http://www.spymania.com/catalogue/spy007.html

one of my favorite albums.