For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Coz Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:27 pm
reeloy wrote:hmmm....i could live with grey....

I'll get the colour chart out when it arrives and tell you exactly how white/grey it is. :mrgreen:
By sciguy Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:02 am
reeloy wrote:...on the day, they give birth to a BLACK one, i'll get me one of those right away....

aw man, totally.
By Coz Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:09 am
I didn't realise I had a message on eBay from the seller.. It'll be here later today! :nod:

Edit: This thing is tiny! :shock:

By Coz Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:53 am
Cheers Anton. 8)

I wish I had the stems for it but I didn't even know what a stem was back when I made that.
By Coz Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:54 am
The El Capistan is next on the wish list.

By sciguy Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:05 am
Coz wrote:The El Capistan is next on the wish list.

oh man. just checked out the specs and demos on their site. I need one. :shock:
By sciguy Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:37 am
I really want an op-1, but the price is just too high to justify it for me. (but that changes a bit everytime I think about it)

On another note, the strymon bluesky looks sweet too. I kinda want a nice reverb. not to derail the thread, but does anyone else have any suggestions?
By Coz Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:31 pm
This is quality if you've got an appreciation for House music and know the limitations of the OP-1. It starts off cheesy but soon picks up.

The "having a wonderful time" sample he keeps dropping in relates to the venue and night he's playing the set at, which is called HAWT.

Here's the blurb...

Yes, 37 minutes of original and continuous music. This is a practice performance I programmed into the Teenage Engineering OP-1 in preparation for a live DJ show on September 20th in Los Angeles. Stylistically it is clear I love House Music, but the larger point I am sharing is that the OP-1 can be used for longer performances. Remember this has 6 minutes of total tape time at full resolution and this set is 37 minutes. Looping and live track mute/solo manipulation are your friend! My total DJ set will be 1-hour and half of that time will be comprised of a version of the live performance shown here.

Some mistakenly judge the OP-1 to be a toy based on it's small and stylish appearance and once again I assure you it is a creative performance platform that is incredibly fun to play around with. Do I make final productions entirely within the OP-1? Not most of the time. But think about this, neither do traditional instrument players like guitarists. In their world they use pedals and effects to "perform" sound into a DAW or multitrack digital tape set up. I view the OP like this. I use it to compose sound that is then enhanced and arranged in my DAW environment. It is so fun to play with and so different in flow from traditional devices like workstations, Akai MPC's or DAW's that it keeps me hungry for more, even 2.5 years into ownership.

The sounds in this demo are micro samples from external sources and internal sources such as the radio. Other sounds are custom drum kits, synthesizer engines and effected sounds processed and resampled within the OP-1. The creative boundaries of a machine are an area I take pride in pushing. If I was a better keyboard player I could be playing live keys over the top of this performance as well and this is something I continue to develop in my skill set.

The Korg Mini Kaoss Pad 2 is used as a high pass and low pass filter for performance in a dance style primarily much in the same way as a DJ uses a performance. It is also a really fun device and pairs perfectly with the OP by adding a performance surface to alter your music unlike anything available in the OP-1.

I hope you enjoy the music and the exposure to my way of using the OP-1. Thanks for stopping by and checking out another one of my videos!
By Coz Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:55 pm
It's about time TE made a few introductory videos for the OP-1. 8)

By Coz Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:49 am
Only Teenage Engineering could drop an update like that and get away with it. :lol:

It's nice that they're still working on it 4 years after first releasing it. 8)
By medearis Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:32 pm
I really feel that the OP-1 is one of the coolest electronic instruments to damn near ever be released. It does... everything! Maybe not well but you CAN do it. :nod:

I really f*cking miss mine but I had to get other things for the studio... not too much money to be had recording people's bands to the OP-1's tape! Lulz

OP-1... I will have you again in my arms some day, babe.