For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Lampdog Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:56 pm
NearTao wrote:Most impressive is the pretty decent lack of too much cable clutter *thumbs up*
Lancerben wrote:Call 1800 "hooked on synths" if you need help
By Danoc Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:46 am
Dope studio. I see the old model MPC in your set. :worthy:

Wal Martian wrote:Image
By mrmarbury Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:13 pm
My Studio in 2008 when I started getting serious about making music (Before that I did only spin vinyl for 11 years). Back then I used Sonar as a DAW.

...and what it developed into. This picture is like a month old but things have changed again (pretty normal for me). The X moved back (again) where the Faderport mixer is in this image. The Faderport moved to the right side. Also The TD-3 moved to where the xoxbox is in this image and a Pro 800 and a MicroFreak moved in. Also a Nanobox Lemondrop found its way back to me.
I am sharing the position for "center piece" between the X and Studio One. S1 is the cp when it comes to audio and mixing and the X is the cp when it comes to ideas, sampling and arranging.
Yeah I know, there's no soundproofing whatsoever. I am using headphones for everything from the beginning. I am so used to this that I can't mix without them. I almost never use speakers.
By Lampdog Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:38 pm
mrmarbury wrote:Yeah I know, there's no soundproofing whatsoever.

Same.

mrmarbury wrote:I am using headphones for everything from the beginning. I am so used to this that I can't mix without them. I almost never use speakers.

Me, speakers for head-nodding fun, headphones for critical aural listening/proofing.

Shout out to DJ AMBUSH for the pic. King visited me that weekend!

By mrmarbury Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:37 pm
Lampdog wrote:Me, speakers for head-nodding fun, headphones for critical aural listening/proofing.

haha, same here. Head-nodding and for visitors/jamming

Lampdog wrote:Shout out to DJ AMBUSH for the pic. King visited me that weekend!

My main music's not HipHop. But even I know his name. Yeah

And your pic shows that you don't need much gear for great music. I've had too much G.A.S. always and now I don't want to sell anything.
By Lampdog Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:40 am
I have alot more not in the pic, lol. Not always connected though.
By mrmarbury Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:29 am
Lampdog wrote:I have alot more not in the pic, lol. Not always connected though.

oh ic. I thought about doing it like this as well many times. But since I have rarely enough time I have optimised for being up and ready in an instant. Just connecting the gear you wanna use has many advantages. Not to mention the that the studio looks more clean. But it takes time unfortunately. Maybe I need to rethink my setup at some point ... again :Sigh:
By Lampdog Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:03 pm
I never have everything running at once.
Usually 1 kybd + 1 drum machine when I make beats.
By mrmarbury Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:57 pm
Lampdog wrote:I never have everything running at once.
Usually 1 kybd + 1 drum machine when I make beats.

Me neither. Usually 2-4 synths and some samples. Maybe a VST or two. The recabling just takes too long for the minimal amount of time I have. I am working on my next album for like 5 years now (omg now that I realise it :Sigh: ) and I can rarely spend more than 1-2 hours a week - there're just too many other things happening that keep me busy. And just mixing the next "data waves mix show" seems off limits at the moment. I think I need somebody who sponsors my "music making time". Any takers? :-D :smoker: Recabling for every new track is something I just have no time for sadly. At least not if I want to get anything done. That's why things need to be ready always. Which has some huge advantages (time saving being one) and some drawbacks. The biggest drawback obviously (apart from the amount of money needed to buy all the sh*t) is that it takes up a lot of space and there are some weird limitations that start to show up when you need support for 32+ audio channels.
By Lampdog Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:52 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Years ago, it was my fave vodka. A friend saw the giant bottle (plastic) in a thrift shop, bought it, and put it in my lab when he visited me.
The top of the bottle actually reaches up to the door knob, it really is a big bottle.
By mrmarbury Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:33 pm
bitermc wrote:Nobody??

Really??

Nobody has a saying about the giant bottle of Stolichnaya??

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A good friend of mine had a 2m tall blow-up bottle of her fav champaign in her home. Years ago. So I noticed, lol'd and went on. But to say something inappropriate upon request:
Hey Mr Lampdog my friend's one is bigger than yours. :mrgreen:

*scnr* and it's definitely bitermc's fault.
By bitermc Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:21 pm
20 years ago I had a drinking problem love affair with vodka, and Stolichnaya was definitely one of my favourites.

I had that much Vodka+RedBull that my pee used to glow in the dark.