For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By MikeJG Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:48 pm
I can't find a list of forums so this may not be in the right place - sorry, You may be able to put me right.

DPS stand-alone 16 track Dig. recorder.
I need to replace the 20Gb hard drive in my DPS16. I need to know whether the unit can handle the much larger drives that are available these days. 500Gb seems about the standard minimum.
Would a Solid State drive be an option and if so is there anything special that would need to be done/added?

Lookin forward to your help.
Mike.
By Lampdog Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:36 pm
Seagate U Series 5 20GB 5400RPM 3 5" IDE Hard Drive ...
You need to find out if 500gb is supported in the machine, or go to home depot, fry's, walmart, target, and buy a 500gb IDE drive. Make sure you are able to take it back in case it doesn't work out correctly.

Seagate ST3500630A 500GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD

maybe..
By Lampdog Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:40 pm
SSD, you'll need an adapter from IDE to SATA
like this one.

http://www.amazon.com/IDE-SATA-Adapter/dp/B000RK89M4

SSD in a DPS is a waste of time and money imo. DPS is very old technology and may use only a fraction of SSD capabilities vs much more money if your still wanting a 500gb SSD.

Your old hdd was 5400rpm. Maybe the one I suggested with 7k rpm or above for faster spin (read/write). Your hdd will only go as fast as your mobo tells it.
By MikeJG Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:42 pm
I don't need 500Gb - 20 or so is fine for what I do. It's just that they're not available now. In New Zealand, where I am, I can get:
Kingston 60GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5Inch (7mm height) SSD Drive Model: SV300S37A/60G
$83.40 + Free Shipping (could be couriered tomorrow
or
32GB PATA IDE KingSpec 2.5″ 4CH 44PIN HD 32GB Hard Drive SSD For IBM T40 T41 T42 from China (not so keen!)
Approximately NZD52.99

so that's not an expensive way to get the DPS back. It's a good deck. And it doesn't matter if I don't have access to the full size and speed of the drive - the old one was plenty.
Leads and adapters are plentiful and cheap here so that's ok. Thanks for the info. I checked that not

What's my 'mobo'? Didn't know I had one.
By Lampdog Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:39 pm
Mobo =motherboard. Main board in your dps.
Hard drive is most likely plugged into it.

:lol: