For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Living Bate Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:38 am
Anyone on here fug with the Boss SP202?
Last edited by Living Bate on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Coz Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:09 pm
I bought one when they dropped in 2000. Sold it a few years ago. It's the later models that people rave about.
By Living Bate Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:45 pm
I bought one when they first dropped but parred it off to my cousin when I got my MPC2kXL......I never really got that funky with it....

but I've been reading a lot of people raving about its sound, and its ability to degrade samples.....so I'm getting it back off my cousin as he never uses it.....

I'm interested to see how I can incorporate it......if at all....
By derMole Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:53 pm
There's a dedicated forum for the SP samplers. Don't know if it's okay to link it here... but well... you can find it pretty easy on google.
By Living Bate Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:58 pm
derMole wrote:There's a dedicated forum for the SP samplers. Don't know if it's okay to link it here... but well... you can find it pretty easy on google.

Yeh I found it a couple of days ago…..but its impossible to register on there because it asks you for the answer to a ‘secret question’…..and i cant find the question anywhere

Ridiculous if you ask me…
By derMole Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:16 pm
They had a lot of problems with spam in the past and the 'secret question' is their way to keep the board clean. I agree, it's ridiculous but the board admins don't care and it seems that they don't invest much time in the board anyway. I'm sending you the 'secret question' in a PM.
By Living Bate Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:33 pm
thanks derMole..... I might give it another go....

my cabbage was coleslaw yesterday trying to register on that fuggin thing....
By Coz Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:24 pm
Living Bate wrote:I've been reading a lot of people raving about its sound, and its ability to degrade samples.

I wouldn't rave about the sound personally but you can definitely get a few different flavours of lo-fi out of it.
By Living Bate Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:31 pm
I was just thinking of maybe keeping my Technics running into my Ren with the phono, but having my little Vestax T/T running into the Ren through the SP202 on the line...

I seem to remember you can use the ring modulation by just running it through without having to actually sample into the SP202....

do you know if you can do the same with the Lo-Fi?
By Living Bate Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:38 pm
**** wrote:http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SP-202_OM.pdf

Using the source pad you can apply every effect to the inputs. Lo-Fi is not an effect, it is the bandwidth setting for sampling.

yeh I thought so....

nevermind...I've got the memory card so i'll just sample everything I want to Lo-Fi and sling it straight into the MPC
By MrDismal Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:54 am
I've got the memory card so i'll just sample everything I want to Lo-Fi and sling it straight into the MPC

Yeah that's what I do.
I bought an SP-202 about a month ago. It's dope when you run a break record into it. Then I record it into my 2KXL. It make drums extra punchy, even the hifi is actually lofi.

I'm yet to run actual samples through it though.
By Living Bate Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:28 am
yeh I've only really used it for drums so far.....and generally Lo-Fi 1.......which is pretty fuggin crusty.....

been thinking I might try a few on 'Standard'......just because Lo-Fi 1 is pretty extreme.....I do like it though and it definitely gives the drums a sound I find hard to replicate with a Plug In...

this lot make whole beats on the SP202....which for me is crazy.....I do like their stuff though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuFJFF1UPpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr2tIljLbII
By Headphones Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:49 am
I have the DR202, but I plan to get the SP202. It's kind of lame you can't find the simm cards without getting gouged, but I have my Akai S20, so I can probably get around that.
By Wormhelmet Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:15 am
First sampler I used in songs back in late 90's. My roomate bought it after I bought my mc303. For low budget used samplers with that old school vibe, the sp202 and zoom sampletrack st-224 are great. Yamaha SU10 also. Ebay has em for cheap. I have the st-224 I bought about 6 years ago off ebay.